Epilepsy (Complex Partial Seizures) and Reading

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

TheMiNd

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post here :clap:

Anyway, I'd like to ask a question of everyone with epilepsy, specifically involving the temporal lobe/complex partial seizures. Have you experienced any loss or alteration of your ability to read since your symptoms first manifested?

Welcome TheMiNd

Oh yeah! I have that problem. I cannot recognize anything as words. After my first grand mal in 2001, I could not read anything for about a month and even now have problems with long articles or directions.
There are other recognition issues that also go along with it.

Hello, and welcome

to CWE!!! You'll find that Mr B (Bernard) has made an AWESOME home for us all here, so kick off your shoes, and stay awhile! Buckeye should be around soon with some coffee soon......

Personally, I don't have c/p's......so I can't answer the question, but there are plenty of others here that do, and I'm sure that they will. So, just be patient.

Stick around, and feel free to join in...ask questions, vent, whatever. We'll be here for you, I promise.

Take care!

Meetz
:rock:

Hi TM, welcome to the forum. :hello:

My wife has never complained of difficulty reading after any of her complex seizures.

When you say difficulty reading, are you experiencing symptoms like dyslexia, or do you get headaches when reading, or something else?

If I want to read a book or a newspaper, I NEED to do it early in the day before I've had too many CP's, otherwise I will just end up reading and re-reading the same sentence about 12 times then throwing the book in frustration, as the words just don't seem to 'make sense' even though I can read them, they don't seem to MEAN anything, it's like my brain is full of scrambled eggs!

This is my first post, also. I didn't know that what I was experiencing with my partial complex/temporal lobe seizures was common. I also have problems reading. When I'm by myself I actually try to say what it is that I think I'm reading. When i come out of it, usually a minute later or so, it's really quite funny to hear myself. When I'm in a store or with a friend who doesn't know I'm epileptic, I have to make up some excuse or cough or shake my head and I seem to be able to get back my head unscrambled and continue, but it's always embarrasing.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any success with drinking coffee on a 'bad day.' I've had some luck with that. The best thing I've found is to take a nap; I seem to wake up with no more 'misfires,' but I don't always have the luxury to do that.

I've also just been told about the Omega3 fish oil studies, which is what lead me to this sight tonight in the first place. I'm going to start adding supplements to my routine and see what happens.

Thanks for your post. I feel like my abnormalcy is almost normal!

Hi Colorado, welcome to the forum. :hello:

... When i come out of it, usually a minute later or so, ...

Sounds like you are talking about the post-ictal phase following a seizure. It is normal to have impaired consciousness and cognitive function during this phase.

Since my seizures where diagnosed at two; I went summer school the 1st year of school for reading and after that I was always ahead a grade or two in reading.
Belinda:banana::roflmao::bigmouth::e:

Last edited:
Hello TheMind & Colorado!

Welcome to CWE. I hope you find all of the info that you need. There are wonderful people on here that will help you.

To answer your question TheMind. I have that problem with reading. I have memory loss. I have to go back a few times to read it but after I do that I am fine.

I also have a problem with reading.

When I read someting I can't remember what I have read. It starter after I had my last seizure 3 months ago. Before that I had no problem with reading.

Spelling is suddenly also a big problem.

I have to say for myself... the more I am on the computer reading, the harder it is for me to stay focused on a book or magazine article.
My theory is that when I am on the computer, I skim articles. I look for the meat of the subject. My eyes are constantly moving, and my mind is not rested. Not sure that makes sense.

But ever since I have been actively researching my daughters illness, I have developed difficulty in reading books. I continue to force myself to do it, but it has to be in a stress free and quiet environment.

I have not done a private study to see if this is a problem for others.

Rebecca has actually been able to comprehend more since she has done Neurofeedback.

yes, though I feel its more the loss of an ability to focus or concentrate rather than the reading causing seizures, as I've read can happen.

I used to be an avid reader. Now I'm lucky to get 2 chapters in before I stop reading the book altogether

I am glad that you asked this question. I have just been recently diagnosed and so am trying to figure things out as well. I absolutely believe that my reading ability has been affected by the seizures. I have been diagnosed with Temporal Lobe epilepsy. I have to continually reread sentences and start paragraphs over now and seem to forget what the book is about. I am an avid reader and refuse to give it up. I have problems with my left eye which is apparently related to the epilepsy - drooping and spasming - and lots of people believe I shouldn't read as I am straining and maybe causing partials - but you do have to live. The other night I had a new kind of convulsing seizure - arms only - and afterward I tried to read a page in my book and it made absolutely no sense. I was so tired I went to sleep. The next day when I read the page again it really wasn't very complicated at all. It is nice to hear someone else talk about these things because I swear sometimes you think you are going crazy or making all of this up.

I've noticed that I'm lucky if u can call it that.

Since I never had any problem reading because of my seizures.
I have had complex partial sz's all my life had RTL surgery.
I have good memory and can finish a book in couple of days if set my mind to it.
Belinda

Hi there!

Welcome to the group! It is wonderful and has been extremely helpful to me. I have complex partial temporal lobe seizures as well.
For me..I love to read! But lately..I find it very difficult to stay on track and relax. And actually focus on what I am reading. It bothers my eyes. I keep wondering if it may be the lamictal I am on. ???? not sure. TLE causes all sorts of weird things. As I am sure all sorts of seizures do!

Take care and again..Welcome!
Michelle

Frustrated Reader

:ponder:Hi There - I also have temporal lobe complex partials and have found that getting and maintaining focus is extremely difficult. Sometimes I will skim over an entire paragraph and have no idea what I read. I will have to stop and read again. I sometimes feel like I have to read so slowly to absorb what I am reading that I am reading like I am a 3rd grader and I am 40 years old. It is so frustrating that I don't want to read at all, but feel like I have to so I don't forget how! I currently take 500 mg Zonegran and that could be part of the issue, but I can't be sure. Best of luck!

Yes, I do. And that was one of my first diagnosis. Did I spell that right? Anyway. Concentrating on reading. I have to read over and over again. And it also turned out to be meds.

:hello: To the BOTH of you,
and welcome to CWE!

I have problems with lengthy reading, words
begin to shift (move), enlarge or get smaller,
or blur/fade out. I have to put myself on a time
limitations on reading.

I cannot read / see very well if I'm experiencing
auras or in postictal - it just doesn't register in
my head; for things becomes distorted. Just like
my speech becomes slurred.

But when I'm back to "normal", things are okay
with the exceptions of the above paragraph.

Welcome to you both! :p I'm glad you all found this site. It is full of some great, supportive, (slightly nutty) people. ;) There are places on this forum to get support, ask questions, and vent your heart out (padded room), and places to joke and look at the "lighter side" of life.

I have chronic complex-partial seizures. Reading is difficult because it often triggers seizures. Also, I have difficulty organizing and logging in my brain what I have just read...which makes retrieval of info. difficult. :ponder::e:

Again, welcome! -Julie

Back
Top Bottom