Epilepsy & Diabetes

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

GreenKombucha

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm having a terrible time. My wife and I both have diabetes, but she also has epilepsy. She had been taking a medication that controlled the diabetes but was then told that this med was contributing to her seizures. She can't possibly be the only person who has both of these maladies. Can anyone chime in with some advice or personal stories? What works? What controls diabetes without lowering the seizure bar?

Hi GK, welcome to CWE!

I know we have at least one member who has struggled with both diabetes and epilepsy. Hopefully she will chime in. I'll see if I can find any threads in the archives on this topic.

Best,
Nakamova

Thanks. The problem is driving both of us insane. And now I've just read that we've both been eating the wrong bread! But the meds issue is the important thing. Yes, I hope she comes back soon.

Hi GreenKombucha,

Welcome to the forum! Have your wifes Dr. do a DNA test on her for both the diabetes and epilepsy by doing this it will
show what is the best meds for both of her conditions with the least side effects and it will show if a person is drug resistant
to seizure meds also. I had this done a few yrs. ago and found out I was drug resistant.
The test will show the amount of enzymes in a persons liver along with their body chemistry and that's how the Dr. can
find the correct meds for both conditions.
I wish you and your wife the best of luck and May God Bless the Both of You,

Sue

Hi GreenKombucha,

Welcome to the forum! Have your wifes Dr. do a DNA test on her for both the diabetes and epilepsy by doing this it will
show what is the best meds for both of her conditions with the least side effects and it will show if a person is drug resistant
to seizure meds also. I had this done a few yrs. ago and found out I was drug resistant.
The test will show the amount of enzymes in a persons liver along with their body chemistry and that's how the Dr. can
find the correct meds for both conditions.
I wish you and your wife the best of luck and May God Bless the Both of You,

Sue
Thanks. That helps. We live in a backwoods town in Kentucky, so this may not even be available. (Our hospital doesn't even have a neurologist on staff, or even one to call in emergencies.) But I will certainly look into this. If we have to travel for it, then we'll travel.

Back
Top Bottom