Epilepsy drug impairs baby's intelligence

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I saw that one too. When my friend with e was pregnant they took her off her AED's for that reason but you really have to weigh all the factors, which is more harmful, a mother who is seizing actively or AED's? What do you think?

Exactly. Right now, I'm pregnant. And yes, I'm on meds still. The chances of birth defects go down with the use of folic acid and healthy diet. Yes, monotherapy is better then multitherapy. So I'm on monotherapy. The thing is, for me, it's healthier for the baby and me if I stay on the meds. I have grand mals, and there are times when I stop breathing during a seizure. Not too bad for an adult, but for a child developing, it can cause problems. Between that and falling, all of my docs feel better with me on meds. One of the reasons, I had four seizures in four weeks when I first got pregnant. I didn't realize I was pregnant, but my hubby had me take a pregnancy test because the neuro had warned him that I might have more seizures when I got pregnant.

Plus, you have to keep in mind that 90% of the kids born to women who are on AED's come out fine. I'm not saying that there isn't any reason for concern...what I AM saying is that you can only do what you can do...stressing about all the possible outcome will only hurt the baby and the mom. I could choke on a twinkie, or get hit by a bus....the thing is, I can't let fear rule me. Each woman makes their own choice. Me...I view kids as a blessing. So I try to get some exercise everyday, eat right, and make sure I get enough rest, as well as taking the folic acid. Do what you can and leave the rest in God's hands...that's my opinion. Anyway, some women actually quit having seizures because of pregnancy. My MIL's sister had that happen.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are taking a sensible approach to the situation!! Good luck and I hope all goes well with you and the baby!

Looks like Dr. Kimford Meador is really pushing the research on this issue. She published a similar study a few years ago:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/epilepsy-drug-linked-low-iq-915/

Here's a link to the abstract for the recent the study:

Results: At 3 years of age, children who had been exposed to valproate in utero had significantly lower IQ scores than those who had been exposed to other antiepileptic drugs. After adjustment for maternal IQ, maternal age, antiepileptic-drug dose, gestational age at birth, and maternal preconception use of folate, the mean IQ was 101 for children exposed to lamotrigine, 99 for those exposed to phenytoin, 98 for those exposed to carbamazepine, and 92 for those exposed to valproate. On average, children exposed to valproate had an IQ score 9 points lower than the score of those exposed to lamotrigine (95% confidence interval [CI], 3.1 to 14.6; P=0.009), 7 points lower than the score of those exposed to phenytoin (95% CI, 0.2 to 14.0; P=0.04), and 6 points lower than the score of those exposed to carbamazepine (95% CI, 0.6 to 12.0; P=0.04). The association between valproate use and IQ was dose dependent. Children's IQs were significantly related to maternal IQs among children exposed to carbamazepine, lamotrigine, or phenytoin but not among those exposed to valproate.
Cognitive Function at 3 Years of Age after Fetal Exposure to Antiepileptic Drugs

... but you really have to weigh all the factors, which is more harmful, a mother who is seizing actively or AED's? What do you think?

See discussion here: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...sodium-valproate-birth-defects-733/#post48237

Back
Top Bottom