Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Junebug, I did not know that. Keep giving me information about people who have epilepsy.

Hi Phylis,:agree:

Also...

It is also thought that Dante, Joan of Arc, St. Paul, Handel, Beethoven may have had epilepsy.

About the person who someone(not sure who) knows in the UK who's doctor told him he can't work. In the UK, due to health and safety laws and corporate liability insurance, anyone with frequent, uncontrolled seizures will have extreme difficulty getting employment. It's not imposasible (I have worked some since my diagnosis, had one job that I left for another reason, then was unable to get employed for 2 years, got a job where it was a very small business and the boss had epilepsy himself so was already paying higher premiums on his liability insurance. when that business folded 2 years ago, I have been completely unable to get a job here as iyt is law that we are meant to disclose our epilepsy on application forms, we can get fired immediately if we havent) . With most areas in UK having 60-100 people going for every job at the moment, it puts people with epilepsy in the position of being unable to get a job or even an interview, and not being able to prove discrimination. I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just even more difficult than usual at the moment. It's baceuse of the extra high premiums that are required on the corporate liability insurance, a lot of companies will not pay it. The disability advisor at my jobcentre has said that he has placed adults with downs syndrome, deaf-blind adults, even one 18 yr old lad with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophe in paid employment, but he is just unable to find any employers who are willing to take on someone with uncontrolled seizures.

Just between us girls, when I applied for my big job -- back in 1979 -- I LIED. But my seizures were pretty much in control.

However, the current economy is certainly not in your favor or anybody's favor... seizures or no seizures.

Good luck...from the heart.

Phylis

Hi Phylis, I am sorry that I started another thread about the same thing.

I just got so excited when Greg Grunberg came forward with his son's epilepsy. My thread address is: http://www..coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/actor-greg-grundberg-8430-new/

We can work together.

Greg Grundberg, AmyLee, and Hugo Weaving came forward.
Amy Lee's website is: www.outoftheshadows.com She is a singer, songwriter, pianist, and an advocate for epilepsy. She founded the band Evanescence. www.Amy-lee.net

Greg Grundberg's website is: www.talkaboutit.org

This is great!!

Cathy Ann31
Here's a link that shows some famous folks who have/had epilepsy. I wonder how many ever came out and talked about it. I'm sure the list would be much shorter.

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman-...famous.shtml

Last edited:
I found Amy's website but couldn't connect to the disabled world website, unfortunately.
I'm closely affiliated with our local Epilepsy Foundation (I've testified for them before the Federal government), so I know about Greg Grundberg all too well. Too bad we don't have someone more visable and effective. Like Neil Young!!!

I have bookmarked the list. Cathy Ann31 put the website in the Tiger Wood's thread. Neil Young is in that list. Not all of the words are there, so I just guessed at the words.

Last edited:
Ezekiel from the Bible had Epilepsy, the passages clearly mark what I have experienced somewhat.
Edgar Allen Poe had Epilepsy, I read.
Joan of Arc, I hear
Many famous people had Epilepsy, Lindsay Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac, I think.
There's many.

Billy. :twocents:

Wiki (I know... it is not 100% reliable) have a very interesting article on a list of famous people who have epilepsy.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Makes some very interesting reading... and it covers quite a few sports personalities too :)

Hi Billyboyboo, I need specific scriptures to make sure it is accurate.

Neil Young

Neil Young was born November 12, 1945 in Toronto, Ontario. He is a musician known for his meaningful lyrics and is a spokesman for environmental issues. He is known as one the greatest guiraists of his time. He had 1 main obstacles: Epilepsy.

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist in 1995. His best known work is 2 distinct syles: acoustic folk/country a;nd electric-charged hard rock.

He is a Canadian singer-songwriter, musician and film director. He has directed and co-directed movies under the name Bernard Shakey.

He is also an outspoken advocate for environmental issues and small farmers. He co-founded in 1985 the benefit concert Farm Aid. In 1986, he helped found the Bridge School. It has annual supporting Bridge School Benefit concerts.He has a wife, Pegi. 2 sons and one daughter.. In this Young's involvement stems at least partially from the fact that both of his sons have cerebral palsy and his daughter, like Neil Young has epilepsy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil-Young/ This is the address i was given. I am sorry if it is wrong. You know where to find it.

Neil Young has never hidden the fact that he has epilepsy.

Last edited:
My nominees don't have recognizable names. They are the caregivers that support us and help us through our lives. They are those among us strong enough to share our experiences and fight for more research, public understanding, and less discrimination. They are those who have lost someone to E, but still strive forward with the fight. And last, they are those who lead the best lives they can despite the extra burden they carry. Many of these heroes are right here.

I can't believe I hadn't read this post before. I knew about many of them but the detail was fascinating. We've talked here in the past about Buddha possibly having had a seizure under the banyan tree and that was the light he saw. My old Yoga teacher used to be jealous of how many out of body experiences I had. My father and grandfather both had epilepsy and were amazing "Thinkers" I truly believe from the bottom of my heart that we are tapped into parts of our brains others can only dream about. I love my deep thoughts and creative mind.

Prince John had epilepsy. I wrote him up in my thread: Actor Greg Grundber son's has epilepsy. He is an advocate for epilepsy.

Flinnagan, I have always believed that there is a link between epilepsy and creativity. There was a topic on that as well.

Ruth, Ezekial and many Prophets were known for Epilepsy, the way they seen things, Auras, lights, tremors and so on, I will have to look at the passages.

Also Nostradamus may have had Epilepsy, as he claimed to see a spark, an image leap around, he wrote a quatrain regarding shaking and so on, I would have to again, find that one.

Lewis Carroll had Epilepsy, or suffered Headaches, really not known??

Also Neil Young

I think that everyone experiences a seizure within their lifetime, it may vary, but honestly I do.

Edgar Allen Poe may have had a form of Epilepsy, he was Bipolar, he suffered depression.

There's so many.

:twocents:

Billy

I can't believe I hadn't read this post before. I knew about many of them but the detail was fascinating. We've talked here in the past about Buddha possibly having had a seizure under the banyan tree and that was the light he saw. My old Yoga teacher used to be jealous of how many out of body experiences I had. My father and grandfather both had epilepsy and were amazing "Thinkers" I truly believe from the bottom of my heart that we are tapped into parts of our brains others can only dream about. I love my deep thoughts and creative mind.

I agree here, I have been places within my mind unthinkable, others will not experience, further more, I'm who I am, I accept that, I'm very Artistic.

Billy.

I have sometimes wondered about this concept. I myself am somewhat the opposite. I am not as creative, but rather deeply logical (I guess that is the best way to describe it). I seem to understand certain concepts that most people can't grasp. They just seem almost natural to me. I sometimes think that I would have loved to meet the great philosophers from the past and debate with them.

But then again, this may just be me and nothing to do with E.

Thanks BuckeyeFan, I have wondered the same thing about myself. I am very logical and analytical, and have little creative abilities. Writing, music, anything like that - I am awful. But I'm great at math, physics, computers, etc...

Back
Top Bottom