Ever have memory improve after changing meds?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Yo all,

Just wondering if any of you who may have experienced some memory issues resulting from a particular med noticed that their memory improved or "came back" after switching to another AED?

Thanks,

D

Im pretty sure i felt better coming off Epanutin and going onto Tegretrol.I thought i could think more clearly than i could before and had better memory(slightly).Although it also could have been a placebo effect,just with the change off drug and all that.When i did mention it to the nuero,she did say a lot off her patients said exactly the same thing.

So im gonna say yes since there are very little positives in the world off taking aeds

Yes, that seems to makes sense, as my memory felt better on my previous drug, and worse after I changed drugs, so I figured the reverse might also be true.

Unless of course, somehow coming off the old drug could could cause some trauma that may have hurt memory just in the tapering off process, but that is just wild speculation on my part..

Different medications affect an individual in different ways so it is not unusual for one medication to cause different side effects in a particular individual than another medication. And what occurs in you may not occur in someone else.

One of the AED's that is well-known for affecting memory is Topomax. When some come off this drug their memory does improve.

Better memory on Dilantin alone. Adding phenobarbital not sure about memory but depressed. Now adding keppra memory stinks and depressed.

I don't know if it's from a medicine, I've been on and off of so many that I've lost track of what, how much and when I've taken them, or that I'm having less seizures a month than I did at the beginning.

When I was first diagnosed with epilepsy, 10 years ago, I would have around 3 or more seizures a week. My memory would last maybe as long as a month. But if I had a seizure everything that I did that day was wiped out.

Now I have on average around 5 seizures a month and my memory sticks around for about 6 months before it starts to fade. I also remember what happened the day of the seizure.

Like I said I don't know if it's from medicine switches or the amount of seizures I'm having that did this.

I had cognitive issues on Zonegran that went away when I switched to Lamictal.

I had cognitive issues on Topamax that went away soon after I quit taking it and moved on to another drug (was it trileptal?).

Back
Top Bottom