Ever lose your job because you couldn't drive?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have a job where I am required to be able to drive. My seizures were under control for 19 years. But now that my seizures aren't under control enough to drive, I may lose my job. Has anyone else here been in this situation?

I haven't been in that situation, but I can understand it. I can't work because I can't drive. It's frustrating, because I live in the middle of no where in a town with NO public transportation (we don't even have taxis.)

My parents are too busy to drive their 19 year old too and from a job.. so me working is pretty much out of the question right now. It drives me nuts because I had a really nice job before I had ankle surgery, and I had just bought a brand new car. Lucky for me, my parents are making my car payments, but I still feel awful that I'm totally mooching off them and can't pay them back.

I've thought about applying for disability, but by the time it goes through, I'll probably be able to drive, so it seems kinda pointless. My seizures "seem" to be under control. (Knock on wood - lol.) And I have about five months until I can drive / find a job.

In my state, the law is, it's up to my doctor.. but she said six months. Which is the law in most states anyway. I'm hoping that she'll change her mind, since I have NEVER had a seizure during the day or before 9 PM, and let me drive at least during the day. She said she wouldn't decide for sure until after I go to the IU Med Center and their Neurologists see me. Which, I go to in 6 days. = )

Whew, this is a long one. Sorry.

Also.. I am very sorry that you are on the verge of losing your job. Mine was also kind of a shocker for me when I lost it. I went to the doctor because my ankle had been aching (I had previously broke it) and expected them to tell me I needed another shot, or something.. Yet, I found out I needed my ankled FUSED. A very debilitating surgery for a 19 year old to have to have. I was so upset, as was the family I was working for. It was hard on us all.

Anyway.. I'm here for you if you need to talk. ((hugs))

fired from job

I got fired from my job that required driving to different sites. I was unaware of my rights at that time. My current employers know my condition. They were appalled at how accommodations were not provided by my former employer. I'm past the anger stage. I take the train to work in the city. I live in the suburban area where public transportation is not as frequently available. I live with family who are over protective of me. I certainly am dependent on them for mobility. This frustrates me. When I'm alone, in the house, in the mall, taking a walk, etc, I am in control of the dependency issue because being alone in itself is my independence.

Welcome amrevilla!
I am keeping a log of places that are the best cities to live for public transportation. I know even at an early age this is frustrating for my daughter. Hard to find a balance when you are a caregiver. I presume it will fluctuate as the situations change.

I applied for a job but refused the night shift because of no public transit. The guy said he could set me up with a co-worker to drive me to & from work every day but I am really not comfortable with being dependant on someone else. Of course he didn't want to give me the day shift & I was refused the job.

I probably will get my license back, it's a question of the political agenda shall we say.

Back
Top Bottom