• Special Senses / Psychic Phenomena

Votes: 220 51.3%
  • Physical Automatisms

Votes: 138 32.2%
  • Nocturnal / Other

Votes: 96 22.4%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Okay, I take it back. I had an aura that lasted about 3 hours. It was really intense and really icky. How do you get those things to stop?

Ativan. My doc prescribed it to me in case of emergencies (SE, mostly) but since auras are a type of seizure, I figured she wouldn't be upset if I took it in those cases.

Thanks, Rae. know it's dangerous. The dermatologist said "okay," though, as long as we watch it like a hawk. This time the epi is ramping me up really slow - increase by 25mg every 2 weeks. I'm up to 50mg, and so far so good. Except maybe the really blurry vision and sleeping all the time. But no rash yet, which is really good news.

i always feel odd, and i have some kind of weird vision, usually rainbow flashing lights, but sometimes it feels like i'm looking out into the fog. also tend to smell weird things, shake like nuts, feel numb all over, and feel like nothing is real, like i'm just watching my life on tv

Ive had deja vu my whole life. I never thought it was related to seizure or even that the medical community considered it important. I dont know if deja vu is related to MY seizures but its interesting none the less.
One thing i did notice 1-3 days before i had my seizure was iheard whispering in my ear and it freaked me out so much (im 29) i went upstairs and woke my husband up. that is strange!

I've heard whispering. I couldn't clearly hear what it said, but I understood it. I thought I was blessed by God and it was angels, and these angels also put their hands on my back and I could feel it. It was a real let down when I found out that I just have seizures. It changed my picture of the world.

freaky auras

I have the weirdest things happen, sometimes I get an aura w/o a seizure. Like tonight. It always happens in the early morning hours. I wake up and feel weird, then I get this feeling of deja vu and "impending doom" lol. I see gray everywhere, and I always wake up my hubby. I feel nausea too, or this weird feeling in my stomach that's hard to describe. Tonight for example I felt weak and like something had taken over my mind. I went outside to lay down on the porch and everything was looking shimmery. I kept sitting up and laying back down, to see if it would make it go away. My husband went back inside for a bit to get me ice and it seemed like he was gone forever, but he was gone just a few seconds. I'm lucky it didn't progress into a big seizure like it usually does (I only get 1-3 seizures a year) but the aura lasted FOREVER. I felt sick for a while after that too.
Thing is, I was on Lamictal xr for a few weeks but had to stop cold turkey bcs of being itchy everywhere. So I took xanax 3 nights in a row bcs it can help suppress seizurse and I had to wait to see my dr. Tonight I didn't take xanax but took my new med, gabapentin (neurontin) and this is what happened. Hope it's not the gabapentin that CAUSED it but who knows :( Not a good night.
Also, the whole day before I had a little tremor and short, sharp pains on the left side of my head, anxiety, etc. Now I'm very tired but afraid to go back to sleep, since my seizures only ever happen right after I wake up :(

Definitely, I know what you mean. For me I also have extreme fear and my heart goes fast, too. It is hard to put into words, just my whole body feels very strange. Like very anxious and restless and hyper

Hey, Coffeeclimber,

An aura IS a seizure. It's milder on the sliding scale of seizure intensity, but it still is a seizure.

My auras are much the same - a weird feeling in my body plus a feeling of intense forboding. The weird feeling is sort of like electricity, but also kind of like humming in my body. Hard to describe, but very unpleasant. It can last a few seconds to a whole day. Then either I have a bigger seizure, or the aura flips off like a light switch.

Ugh.

Even little uncontrolled movments could be seizure activity, I will pray that we never have to go through it again. The peace of Jesus Christ be with you and yours!

Medication for Auras

I have a question for you all. Some in here have mentioned their doc gave them a medication to stop long-lasting auras or multiple seizures. What was the medication?

Special Senses / Psychic Phenomena

I get the whole deja vu and depersonalization stuff.
But I get this sometimes...well actually a lot, without a seizure occurring.

My doctor gives me adavan or lorazipam but,this is a drug that can only be taken once in awhile because your body can build up an immunity if taken to often. then wont work.

yea the only aura i guess you could call it is head turn to the right and a little girl's voice in my head telling me to get help (and i'm a guy). its kind of weird. i hear of people, like chopin getting a sense of euphoria. i wish i had that...........then maybe id welcome seizures

Back in the day when I had them regularly I became ataxic.

I get a warning, a sort of tingling feeling in my legs before a partial seizure (I only have partial seizures as far as I'm aware) but the warning doesn't last long enough for me to act, just a few seconds, so if I'm cycling, then I could crash due to not being able to control my movements.
Despite this and the fact that I have fallen over a few times from the partial seizures, the last neurologist said it's not epilepsy "as it doesn't effect the lower body".

If the feelings you get in your legs come just before the episode and its somthing you know for sure then thats your aura. We are all different and as far as the seizures not affecting your lower body, your nerologist is wrong about that! After my parital/complex nocturnial seizure my left side wont work right for a few minutes. I could fall down if I try to stand to soon.

If the feelings you get in your legs come just before the episode and its somthing you know for sure then thats your aura. We are all different and as far as the seizures not affecting your lower body, your nerologist is wrong about that! After my parital/complex nocturnial seizure my left side wont work right for a few minutes. I could fall down if I try to stand to soon.

Before a partial seizure, I always get the warnings, but I also sometimes get the warnings without the partial seizure happening.
My neurologist wasn't listening to me anyway as he had his "non epileptic attack disorder" diagnosis already made up as soon as he found out I'd been to special school up until the age of 11. Never mind the fact that AEDs don't work on Non Epileptic Attack Disorder (currently on Topamax for my headaches so there is some improvement in the seizures but I can't go past the headache/migraine dose until I see a decent neurologist), but as that didn't fit with his diagnosis, he ignored that.

:noevil I experinced auras for over two years before having a seizure,then 30 years of drug trials before they found the right one. Its a hard road to follow but dont give up and pay attenion to everything. Find an Epiologist because epilepsy is a special disorder that nerologist dont treat properly without special training.

:noevil I experinced auras for over two years before having a seizure,then 30 years of drug trials before they found the right one. Its a hard road to follow but dont give up and pay attenion to everything. Find an Epiologist because epilepsy is a special disorder that nerologist dont treat properly without special training.

I'm seeing a neurologist next month that apprently knows about partial seizures. I explained the situation to the hospital while I was complaining about the neurologists lack of listening, rudeness etc, thought I may as well get that in. I said I was getting nowwhere on the phone with neurologists that don't know anything about partial seizures even though they ought to.
So they said I could see somebody that knows about partial seizures. I'm hoping this neurologist really does, as this hospital has lied before, the whole letter I recieved in response to a complaint was lies (thanks Salford Royal!!!), it was a whitewash.

Back
Top Bottom