• Special Senses / Psychic Phenomena

Votes: 220 51.3%
  • Physical Automatisms

Votes: 138 32.2%
  • Nocturnal / Other

Votes: 96 22.4%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have auditory auras where all I can hear is really loud static which are always accompanied by agitation, that might be more the fact that my head is filled with static than part of the aura lol. Sometimes the auditory is accompanied by visual, where my vision goes blurry and sometime quite white. I also get psychic auras, but never at the same time as the auditory and visual ones, where I experience a feeling of intense uncontrollable rage and the seizures I have following after it I can never remember.

Jenagade.
My aura's have actually decreaced. Or have become unnoticiable. Jenagade when you have psyhic aruas. Are the like dejevu. I will have an aura and have a flash back to something i have seen, but it happens so fast my mind races so fast I cant remember where ive seen it before. Only little pieces of info. Now that its summer I do alot of walking outside,getting more fresh air. Instead of watching tv, were I found most of my auras were when commercials played, but not durring the show. Now that was really unexplainable. Ive also been thinking it is the type of lighting in my rooms that I get the auaras. But outside I dont think ive ever had one. That I can remember ... lol..

Last edited:
I often experience what is maybe call aura: it is visual and everything around me starts to shake, especially when I am deeply concentrate on something. Does anyone experience similar thing?

I know this is a late response but, I have had the same sensations before. I've found that the best thing for me is to lay down in a darkish room, close my eyes, and hope it passes quickly. Most of the times it happened was when I hadn't gotten enough sleep so it seemed like the meds were fighting the seizure. [emoji86]

Most of the times it happened was when I hadn't gotten enough sleep so it seemed like the meds were fighting the seizure. [emoji86]

I quite agree mes2350, sleep is a big part of what we need to function everyday. Without it the body shuts down eventually. And the meds after a long period of time will help. It's taken me over 4 1/2 months to 95 % loose the effects of the Aura's. I think changing to Lamictal has really helped, but everyone is different and suffers from different causes of seizures.

I quite agree mes2350, sleep is a big part of what we need to function everyday. Without it the body shuts down eventually. And the meds after a long period of time will help. It's taken me over 4 1/2 months to 95 % loose the effects of the Aura's. I think changing to Lamictal has really helped, but everyone is different and suffers from different causes of seizures.

The lamictial hasn't completely stopped the seizures but it has cut way down on the terrible phantom odors I experienced before treatment.

Felt dizzy plus there is this specific feeling I get on an elevator when your stomach is one place and the rest of you is another. I get both those feelings at once, then lose consciousness if I actually have a seizure. More often I lie down. If I have certain kinds of artificial sweeteners like aspartame, I get auras. I used to get auras during stress, but nothing too terrible has been happening to me lately.

I have an external door in my home that doesn't quite fit the door-jam correctly, so when someone closes it they have to push hard and it sort of rattles the house. Now that my kids are all grown and gone it's just me that lives here and I never use this back door. While I'm sleeping I'm often startled awake to the sound of this door slamming shut. IT DRIVES ME NUTS. It happens several times a week and I've since sealed the dang thing shut, but my brain hasn't figured it out yet. I'll also hear a cat screaming in distress, and someone knocking on the front door to get in (I guess when my brain does have it figured out that the door is sealed haha). All nocturnally. Only here can we talk about this stuff and people don't think we have schizophrenia lol.

Most of the times it happened was when I hadn't gotten enough sleep so it seemed like the meds were fighting the seizure

Sincerest apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but that totally hits home with the feelings I believe to my my auras... when sleep has been bad I get to feeling extremely anxious, need be by myself & get enveloped in this sense of foreboding.

But like you said, it really sometimes seems like I can physically feel my body being barely able to contain the seizure & I'll often focus on resisting it... I don't know how much of that is my brain knowing my threshold is low and creating an image & how much is an actual aura.

Either way it's definitely a weird feeling.

I have an external door in my home that doesn't quite fit the door-jam correctly, so when someone closes it they have to push hard and it sort of rattles the house. Now that my kids are all grown and gone it's just me that lives here and I never use this back door. While I'm sleeping I'm often startled awake to the sound of this door slamming shut. IT DRIVES ME NUTS. It happens several times a week and I've since sealed the dang thing shut, but my brain hasn't figured it out yet. I'll also hear a cat screaming in distress, and someone knocking on the front door to get in (I guess when my brain does have it figured out that the door is sealed haha). All nocturnally. Only here can we talk about this stuff and people don't think we have schizophrenia lol.
I hear telephones, always telephones ringing. No idea why. Someone else was saying on another thread that he heard voices whispering his name louder and louder. All of these seem to be someone or something trying to get our attention. I wonder if it is the brain's way of trying to alert us?

Good point! It's similar to an aura involving smell. It's never a good smell like roses or freshly brewed coffee. Nooooo, it has to be poop or smoke, or some other horrid smell. Haha Yes, I bet it is a safety mechanism.

I get a distinct feeling of dread, then a sinking sensation in pit of my stomach, the sensation of not "being here" and epigastric rising aura (like going down fast in an elevator-WHICH IN TURN MAKES ME NAUSEOUS AND BY THE TIME IT GETS TO NECK & HEAD I AM SPACEY AND STARING...ONLY LASTS A MINUTE OR TOW...THEN STOPS.

Have you ever had one involving euphoria? If it didn't precede a larger seizure, I'd say they're great.

Its been described here as I read through the posts, but I call it my "spidey sense"
A strange warning of dread all tingly in my head just like in the cartoon spiderman. Im so happy you all get it. trying to explain feelings like this to anyone else is ridiculous.

Whenever I have them I loose my strength in my figure tips and feet. Some times my tounge

"false auras" are partial seizures.

Exactly. All auras are partial seizures. If the "aura" becomes a full blown seizure, it is just a focal seizure transitioning into a complex or generalized seizure.

I get Deja vu and a taste/smell. It's an awful taste, makes me want to vomit. I can actually remember the Deja vu too, it's weird. I actually seem to have a pretty good memory around my seizures.

Recently though I feel like I'm stuck in a loop, just a constant Deja vu state. However, it's not the same as what I get before a seizure. I think for me it's anxiety related, since my last seizure I've been in emotional turmoil, I honestly thought I had grown out of it. I had three in my teens, then a 6 year gap without medication, and life was fine. I always suffered anxiety, but now I feel like I'm constantly looking for these auras. I'll be on the bus home from work, feeling "I've done this before" and wondering if it's an aura. However, of course I've done it before, I do it five days a week, and I'm totally aware and coherent. I think perhaps that I'm winding myself up over it, feels like I've become hyper vigilant to everything and anything. ��

It's hard to explain, it's like I'm consciously looking at things to see if they're an aura. I've always suffered with anxiety and OCD and now I'm obsessing over it. There's no confusion, I'm more saying "I've done this before" to myself and I obviously have and know it. I'm just overthinking it, it's as if I want to find an aura or a seizure, so stupid. I've had simple partials, the Deja vu is frightening and intense, or the taste is strong.

Has anyone ever experienced feeling like their entire body is on fire? It's like a fever but with no elevation of temperature, hot from top to bottom and dry skin and lips

Back
Top Bottom