• Special Senses / Psychic Phenomena

Votes: 220 51.3%
  • Physical Automatisms

Votes: 138 32.2%
  • Nocturnal / Other

Votes: 96 22.4%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Excuse me

the lady needs to check up on her definitions of DISABLITY. *clearing throat* The American With Disablities Act would be a good place to start her.

Follow this link: Pres. Bush Signs ADA Bill

If she doesn't want to listen, offer for her to listen to an EFA lawyer or advocate.

Stand up for yourself. I'm NOT a fan of suing people, PLEASE DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND me. But the point has to be made so that other E patients do not have to put up with this bullhockey, either. :soap:

'Nuff said.

Meetz
:rock:

I had auras for two or three years before my seizures ever went full blown. I tryed to explain to the doctors what I was experincing,they thought I was nuts.

i just noticed the special senses and psychic phenomena auras are in the lead in the poll. i was wondering why that was. i've had epilepsy for years, possibly even my entire life and still havent figured out my auras so i have no take on this. but can anyone elaborate on these kind of auras? they must be very frightening. the ONLY thing thats similar thats been happening is my nose. i seem to smell things that arent there cigarette smoke, perfume.. but i cant figure out if its before a seizure. can u get auras for no reason? oh and could someone explain a nocturnal aura?

Auras are seizure activity in the brain before the episode takes place or the seizure gos full blown. If a seizure is nocturnal your asleep so you wouldnt be aware of the aura

does the nocternal one feel like a bizarre dream or weird sensation? i've had moments where i would suddenly feel paralized and was slowly running out of air and sinking thru my bed or something i've learned not to fight the sensation cuz it seems to last longer if i struggle. only lasts a few minutes atmost but it is VERY frightening when its happening. and i often will wake up completely tense and dripping w/ sweat. do u think maybe its seizure related? oh and sometimes my tongue will hurt and i can sorta taste blood like i spent all night chewing on it.

It sounds like a nocturnal seizure to me but Ive only got 30+ years of first hand experince. I would set up a camara or camcorder in my bedroom for proof. I did that when trying to find out where my seizures were comming from in my brain. You do different things while having different types of seizures so before brain surgery we did a home study of my seizures for my nerologist at N.Y.U Dr. Danial Luciano. I also know Orwin Devinski and Warner Doyle.

ok the more i read thru everyones posts the more i t hink those sensations of paralysis are actual seizure or an aura right b4 the seizures. feels like it always accurs right before i go into deep unconcious sleep think its right before u actually are in unconcious sleep. so i thats why i think im awake when it happens. and those nights might be the ones where i wake up hrs later cuz im freezing cuz i drenched my clothes in sweat. like maybe the sweating was an aftermath of the seizure. when i had my first seizure (that was seen and documented by others) it was a gran mal. i remember clearly saying to myself "why am i shaking?stop shaking, i must look so funny. im ok everyone calm down" but in reality i wasnt saying anything. just.. flopping around and seizing. so maybe when i have that feeling of paralysis i am having a mild seizure.. gosh i really wish the hospital would call me back to set up the m.r.i last time they didnt find that much electrical activity but then again im on antiepileptics so wouldnt they lessen the electrical activity? or atleast how it appears?

R.E.M sleep is time when the brain is most likely to seize, just before waking up or driffting off to sleep. I have some memories of different parts of seizures through all the years but very few.

I know some real important things about epilepsy and tramatic brain injury and just want to make a difference in someone elses life.( seizure freedom is the best gift ) Peace to all!

My aunt used to have nocturnal seizures, and she said she always knew she had one because she had the same dream of standing in a field with the wind blowing. She only had this dream when she seized... I have always thought that was so interesting.

After a nocturnal episode, I would wake up with a bad headach. Thats before the postical stuff started. After brain surgery in 1998 the postical period would happen for about 45 minutes following the seizure. I would come to all beat up.

I often dream that I'm having a simple partial. It seems so real that I wonder if I'm really seizing in my sleep. I actually believe this to be true because after these "dreams" I wake to discover that I've lost bladder control which my neurologist told me is relief from nocturnal seizures.

Has anyone dreamt of having seizures, feeling all the physical symptoms? And what do you think about the validity of seizing during dream state?

I often dream that I'm having a simple partial. It seems so real that I wonder if I'm really seizing in my sleep. I actually believe this to be true because after these "dreams" I wake to discover that I've lost bladder control which my neurologist told me is relief from nocturnal seizures.

Has anyone dreamt of having seizures, feeling all the physical symptoms? And what do you think about the validity of seizing during dream state.
earlier in the summer I was in a dream like state/aura in the night. I still do not know if it was a dream or an aura. I think my brain was over active for whatever reason. I blame it on the commercial pizza. To this day, I do not recall ever dreaming about having a seizure. Lots of dreams about fears that may be indirectly related to my fear of having a seizure.

Last edited by a moderator:
cinnabar:

oops! sorry I copied and pasted your thread so I could comment on what you said. My comment is the last paragraph!! :brain:

I have fully dreamt of me having a tonic clonic, and others i know who dont have epilepsy having seizures. I think that I am going to set up a thread for people to describe their seizure dreams....what do you think?

Rae, I think that's a fantasitic idea! We can't be the only ones and I do wan't to understand this better...

Back
Top Bottom