• Special Senses / Psychic Phenomena

Votes: 220 51.3%
  • Physical Automatisms

Votes: 138 32.2%
  • Nocturnal / Other

Votes: 96 22.4%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I dont dream very often but when I do, I keep a journal of them. I keep a journal of everything, its the best way to be sure of what you forgot to remember. I think that Marijauna makes me not dream. Nerofeedback makes me dream when they stimulate certain sites,(Kiss sites) are what they call these sites along my temprol lobes.

I think that Marijauna makes me not dream.

I've heard of that and its the same for me.

Still smoke so it must just be the Lamictal. I am lovin it. :D

(used to having maybe 1 or 2 a yr that I recall)

If Im naving nerofeedback treatments once a week I dream more, at least I remember more. Dont meen to sound like a broken record but, Nerofeedback improved my life in so many ways. Memory being one of the biggest improvments. Peace of Christ to you!

ok i've sorta started a dream journal. i say sorta because sometimes i forget to write in it *shame on me*. but thanks for that suggestion! i've already noticed somethings.i have ptsd and i've noticed that in the same night that i have those dreams i mentioned b4 i also have one of my ptsd dreams. those dreams are always very vivid. the nights i have the terrible night sweats i think im having ptsd dreams as well. and just not remembering them. some involve being stabbed or beaten up or some other sort of pain so it would make sense that i would tense up and sweat in my sleep. so now i ask.. does anyone else out there have ptsd along with e ??? im wondering about a possible correlation between the 2.

A therapist ask me to keep a dream journal several years ago (this thread just tripped the memory). So I would go to sleep, and wow! I started dreaming so much - knowing that I was keeping a record I surmise. I quit doing it because my dreams were so vivid, and yes some were nightmares, violent in nature.

Im not sure why but I think that dreaming is very important to our sleep period and the ability to remember those dreams may be the most important part of dreaming. Dr. Larson is also a dream interpeter Ill ask him why. Im going for a L.E.N.s treatment today! Im 224 days seizure free today because of L.E.N.s. One of the reasons I keep a journal is to log my periods of seizure freedom. Its so good to be able to remember the good times because then I can share them and maybe it will help someone else to be able to remember more good times.

i think i may have discovered a possible aura. i didnt think to mention it because its not alwyas followed by a seizure. but i read on here that other people have the aura and not the seizure too. ok its as if the colors around me get more vivid. kinda like the lighting changes. like if i look at a computer screen too long i get tunnel vision. but its not tunnel vision. its like everything gets brighter and more contrast... sometimes its so strong it almost feels unreal. reminds me of when i used to smoke alot of pot and i would get high and get the same sorta unreal feelings. it hasnt happened in a while. probably because my meds are working but i just thought of it. since i nvr thought it could be an aura i never paid attention to how long it lasts. anybody else have something similar happen that doesnt ALways follow a seizure??

I had auras without seizures for two years before the seizures started. The feelings that you get sounds like seizure activity to me. Even just little uncontrolled movements could be seizure activity, the part about looking at the computer screen, followed by sensations sounds like seizure activity. When I started having auras in the late 70s no one even knew what an aura was. Doctors were telling me that trying to get out of work! So at work I had a Grandmall. Doctors dont know everything, they do the best they can. If we pay close attention to our problem and research all our options we can choose for us what feels best! Most of the time the pills make us feel worse. Whats up with that!?

yea i dunno what the deal is with disgusting pills. for a while when i first got diagnosed i would lie and say i took them but i was throwing them away. then after plenty of embarrassing tonic clonic seizures out in public i finally realized that was a bad idea. figured it was worth the yucky taste. but why havent they come up with a better one? or maybe the ones out now ARE better than the types of meds u might've taken in the 70s ??

They are mixing chemicals that they dont fully understand, then they feed them to rats and monkeys. If it dosnt kill them then they feed it to us. Most of the time the sideeffects are worse than the epilepsy, we just dont feel them right away. The truth is frighting, thats why they dont tell us. Most of epilepsy surgerys dont work! They lead to more brain surgerys. Another truth they wont tell you. Do your research, it starts with a temprol lobectomy, followed by a frontal procedure.

I had 3 of those, visual, smell, psychic phen. It's hard to explain, I have these time lapses sometimes, very confusing, these lights that looks like streams, like heavenly lights, a halo kind of look. Also like a pattern of flashbacks, mysticism, and just hard to explain. Sometimes, well, maybe hard to understand, but I have predicted things to happen, heard voices telling me things to happen, very hard to explain.

Billy.

yea i dunno what the deal is with disgusting pills. for a while when i first got diagnosed i would lie and say i took them but i was throwing them away. then after plenty of embarrassing tonic clonic seizures out in public i finally realized that was a bad idea. figured it was worth the yucky taste. but why havent they come up with a better one? or maybe the ones out now ARE better than the types of meds u might've taken in the 70s ??

I use to throw my pills away too, but I take them, as I have too, I don't like my meds, but I like my life.

Billy.

You have to take the meds, no questions about that. Just do all the reasearch possible to find the best one for you with the least amount of sideeffects. The newer meds are better, I think thats true ,Peace to you!

I was wondering if anyone gets a feeling in their bones and joints some hours before a fit? This occurs often and is my earliest "signal" of a fit likely to occur, I also get a heavy sense of mysticism ( I would say the presence of god but im an atheist!) for extended periods. However once dejavu and macroscopia occur a fit is inevitable. yay!

Episodes are a friendlyer term used for seizures,fits makes us sound like were animals. Any kind of warning is truly a blessing.

jimijimenez said:
I was wondering if anyone gets a feeling in their bones and joints some hours before a fit?

I experience a buckling of knees. Then what I call the "wobblies". My legs feel like two wet noodles. It's my cue to get on the floor and crawl to get to the bed or couch. I literally have to crouch and throw myself up on the mattress or cushion. Sometimes I do go into a Simple Partial. Other times I'm able to avoid them by managing my warning this way. And I take care not to panic by keeping my breathing regular.

the presence of god...
Nothing of that sort. But I do feel a presence. I sometimes have auditory hallucinations (typical of Simple Partials), usually, by a dark menacing voice. Nothing like we would imagine to be the voice of God or anything mystical.

Last edited:
The breahting thing is cool, ever hear of heartmath. I pratice it alot it helps regulate our circulitory system to work better.

Mike, "Light" breathing excersizes are good for fending off seizures but beware of "deep" breathing. My first seizure (Tonic Clonic) was brought about by lack of sleep the night before and stress at the end of the day.
To calm down I went to a quiet place in the house to practice deep breathing. Soon I began hyperventaling and the next thing I remember was in the ambulance with oxegen mask.

Some articles will promote deep breathing to fend off seizures but I do advise against it. Note:

Critics have warned that deep diaphragmatic breathing might inadvertently cause hyperventilation and may therefore induce seizures (especially absence seizures)

I looked into HeartMath. Makes much sense but the articles I read made no mention of the breathing technique.
How do you practice HeartMath? The breathing technique.

http://www.epilepsyontario.org/client/EO/EOWeb.nsf/web/Relaxation+Techniques

Last edited:
Dr. Larson teaches Heartmath where I go for Nerofeedback treatments.

Back
Top Bottom