• Special Senses / Psychic Phenomena

Votes: 220 51.3%
  • Physical Automatisms

Votes: 138 32.2%
  • Nocturnal / Other

Votes: 96 22.4%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

No doubt, The people I deal with are the best in their feild of practice. Like Dr.Danial Luciano, my epiologist at N.Y.U or my nerosurgon Dr. Doyle and my friend Dr.Larson who treats me with Nerofeedback.

I use this deja vu feelng as a signal to "swipe" my magnet over my VNS device.
This feeling was the reason I went to see a doc in the first place. My bro was having intense migraines, so I thought this was just another form of them. The stupd doc just wrote me a rx, and didn't explain anything. I was too scared to ask, so I didn't!

hey has anyone ever experience hearing voices as an aura?

Is this what you are talking about?

I used to get an urge to turn my head to the right...and my own voice in my right ear telling me "you're gonna have a seizure...you're gonna have a seizure"...then a couple seconds later I'd be in the middle of a full-on gran mal.
Good times.
:paperbag:

I myself, smell EVERYTHING really strong! Then i get really dizzy and my words begin to slur. Luckily I have about a 2 minute aura so I can warn people and get somewhere safe.

I just remember staring into my cerial before I had my grand mal, I got up to go to the bathroom and bang boom straight to the moon I went.

I'm having a very hard time describing my aura to my doc. For this post only I'll define an aura as that feeling we get before a seizure, whatever that is to you or me. My auras are so unique to me it is hard to compare it to any other kind of experience that a person without epilepsy could relate to. There's just nothing like it. But I'm gonna try.

The best I've been able to do so far is...

It's kind of like an electric or buzzing feeling in my head and body - like a low level of electricity passing through me. And a feeling that something is very very wrong. Sort of like an overwhelming feeling of forboding.

Does anybody else get this? Help with words....???

...Sort of like an overwhelming feeling of forboding.

From what I've seen, this is a GREAT description of what a lot of people go through. 'Forboding' is a great word for this...probably because our body is telling us it knows something is 'out of whack'?

:twocents:
Speber
:rock:

It's kind of like an electric or buzzing feeling in my head and body - like a low level of electricity passing through me. And a feeling that something is very very wrong. Sort of like an overwhelming feeling of forboding.

Well, I've come up with an additional description. At least what my auras are like - because everybody is different. For me, in my head it's a physical feeling that feels like a bad chord sounds on a piano. Plus that overwhelming feeling of forboding.

I'm happy to say on 1200mg of Trileptal I think I've been mostly aura free for a couple of weeks now. Let's hope that continues. I think I've had small little ones, but it's hard to tell - they are much more subtle, not big and impossible to ignore like they used to be.

I did not see a behavior option...

My son can't tell me what he feels before/during/after his absence seizures. He sometimes has episodes where he gets very upset about something and screams, cries, bangs things and finally calms down about 1/2 hour later. Once he is calm, he may have a succession of absence seizures.

I wonder if this is an aura for him.

I hate auras. =(

First I have a feeling of jamais vu (the correct term for reality that feels unfamiliar). Then I get really scared and start panicking. For a couple years I was seizure free, then I had a grand mal on my 18th birthday. Ever since then I've been having frequent auras, but no seizure. I used to have complex partial seizures, so every time I had an aura I felt helpless, like I was watching a horrifying event and couldn't do anything about it. I think I was seizing in my sleep too because my seizures often reminded me of nightmares that I'd had. Children's alphabet blocks that spelled out seizure, a gray old man that looked like death... Not pleasant at all.

Auras are the worst but be thankfull for them because its a warning, Nerofeedback has made me almost 400 days seizurefree!

If I would have known confusion was an Aura I would have not drove the day of my last one. I kept forgetting things. I was packing in a hurry for vacation.

406 days free today,Nerofeedback has my memory so...good. Keep a journal I would be lost without mine. It helps me stay in top of everything.

A bad chord

Re: auras

Hey, does anybody else in here get a physical feeling in their body that is kind of like a bad chord in music? Like if you had your hand on a piano when your 4-year-old nephew is playing rather badly? It's almost electrical, but that doesn't describe it. Almost like energy, but that doesn't describe it either.

I get a feeling of forboding, too. But it's that weird physical feeling I'm hoping someone can enlighten me on.

When I have seizures at night, I frequently have a strong impulse to roll over and stretch, like....I MUST do this. Right after that I feel myself losing consciousness.

I'm having a very hard time describing my aura to my doc. For this post only I'll define an aura as that feeling we get before a seizure, whatever that is to you or me. My auras are so unique to me it is hard to compare it to any other kind of experience that a person without epilepsy could relate to. There's just nothing like it. But I'm gonna try.

The best I've been able to do so far is...

What you describe is very similar to what I experience a lot in daytime seizures. Then I get dizzy and find everything shrinking and telescoping, almost like tunnel vision, and then lose consciousness.

Back
Top Bottom