Eye movement: possible prevention of seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Like Sharon, I just stopped driving voluntarily due to my seizures, for fifteen years. When I did start driving again, I went to a driving school and it helped to refresh my skills after so many years. It is so dangerous to drive if seizures are not controlled, it makes no sense to do so.

Yes, distracting yourself when you feel a seizure coming on is a recognized way of stopping them. Another technique is having someone else to something to distract you if they see you starting to go into a seizure.

I am simply looking for what might work. I have no particular interest in business, one of the reasons I'm so broke. I live in low-income housing, recieve state-funded medical insuruance, and work at a place for disabled persons. My job is a combination of personal care assistant and administrative assistant. All the jobs I have ever worked at use only a fraction of my actual intellectual/creative abilities.

Actually, I think persons like us could pool their resources. Example, EEG feedback machines are so expensive, couldn't seizure-disabled persons in a given area chip in for one, and share it as needed? Could we find inventors to make the kind of machines we need? (Don't ask me; I'm a lousy mechanic!)

Returning to the eye-movement theme: This morning meditating, I observed my brain state very carefully. I notice that moving my eyes to the right tends to make right brain foci point "louder" (a high pitched ringing in right ear). Moving eyes to the left seemed to calm down that noise, making me more at peace. Listening carefully, I could hear a low ringing, a few octaves down from right ear. Breathing in, moving eyes to right. Breathing out, moving my eyes to left. Doing that for awhile, I noticed an interesting feeling of integration of the two sides of my brain. Perhaps this is the "switch" I was looking for?

This may only work for persons like myself with complex parietal seizures coming from one hemisphere. Who knows, maybe it'll help others? (I don't even know if this is going to be useful in long run; I have to wait awhile for next cluster.)

I am suggesting that by very close observation of our brain state, noting carefully what does what, we may overcome this problem either completely or, at least, to some extent. Don't listen to me; see what works for you.

That is interesting John, it reminds me of when I have had terrible migraines. I have done the same with my eyes closed. I move my eyes to different positions and in some it seems to take the pain away, or at least it makes me not think of the pain.

I also remember a suggestion by a chiropractor, to help with muscle tension in the neck. It might also help with tension in the "head". Imagine that you are watching a plane take off of a runway from left to right, and then from right to left. It is a pleasurable movement, and one that I should remember daily.

Back
Top Bottom