Fed Up With No Jobs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Porkette

Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Over the yrs. it seems like it's just getting worse when it comes to someone who has epilepsy and then they apply for a job
but they are always turned away. I don't know how the rest of you feel about this but I would like to see some action take place.
What right do these people have turning us away and discriminating us because of our seizures. We are trying to get out there
to work! This may seem crazy to you but I would like to get ahold of NBC Dateline and ask them if they would be interested in
interviewing a few of us about this matter and the way we have been treated. If anyone is interested let me know. I wish all
of you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

I would but i'm not in the US. I do think people need to know more about it. People seem to have a fixed idea of what epilepsy means and it's often completely wrong!

Hi Loopy Lou,

I agree with you 100% and it is completely wrong how many people look at others who have epilepsy. If you would seriously
like to get involved with this I know we can get you through satellite tv so think about it and if I get enough people to join
me I will get ahold of NBC Dateline. Thanks for your support and friends. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

I agree, too. I tried to work many times after graduating with my Bachelor's, but once the complex partials started, I couldn't. I had two very dangerous complex partials after which I decided trying to work wasn't worth it. I applied for disability twice, and they denied it both times. The reason they gave both times was "epilepsy can be controlled with medication". My seizures really aren't--I still average 1-3 breakthroughs/month.

Unfortunately we live in a world where unless you've dealt with it yourself, you don't realize/understand it. Just look at all of the COVID controversy. Why is everyone so concerned about it? Because it affects THEM (they might die; a relative/friend might die etc). Whereas if it only affected people with say, epilepsy, then people would be just as "whatever" about COVID as they currently are epilepsy and just move on as everyday life used to.

I try (keyword) to look at my seizures in a positive light. By this I mean I have been dealt a hand that is much more difficult to play versus the person without it. That's where I've been able to look at my life (experience) and see how it has helped build my tolerance for rejection and being overlooked. Many people have never dealt with that in their lives (ie always been the best; never told no; gets their way all the time etc). I look at it as their loss if they don't want me. Again, going back to that keyword, try (much easier said than done many times).

Sabbo, you sound exactly like my situation. I graduated with a BA in 2017. I haven't worked since graduation. A lot of it was due to my dad being ill and I've done nothing but take care of him for the last 2.75 years. As for being denied, the same thing happened to me. I finally gave in and got a lawyer. Took me four years from when I first filed by myself, but I got it last summer and a good sum of backpay. Lawyer took $6,000 (since she won my case, otherwise it was $0) but she got me in the door. That's what is wrong with the system. It's setup to where you have to have a lawyer in order to get disability. Huh?? I have all of these doctor bills and records of seizures and I’m denied because I might be cheating the system??

It's a lawyers' game. The judge denies the claims, the lawyers get the money if you hire them. If you don't, you'll never win. They put on a little show of "losing the appeal" and all of that, but they'll FINALLY get to the point at looking at the FACTS and actually look at your case. However, you gotta get the key to open the door first and that is a lawyer. It's so disgusting, but it gets the job done.

I definitely didn't spend nearly 8 years in school completing an Associates in accounting then a double major BS--Information Systems & Economics--just to sit in the house!! Now its been over 20 years since I graduated. My older son is majoring in computer engineering at University of IL, & the younger one is a high school freshman.

Back
Top Bottom