Focal or generalized?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
How do you, personally, presume that you have either focal or generalized seizures, or both? Again, personally, as in without doctors or scans, just you.

Generalized seizures,I bite my tongue and feel wiped out for at least a week. Focals are all I have had in the last eight years. I am clearly awake and they last a couple minutes, mostly affecting my eyes with some tingling and headache for a couple days. The only check I get from the medical community is blood work for med level and electrolytes. I only go to get that checked with a tonic clinic, otherwise there is nothing they can do for me. This fun has been going on for me for over fifty years now. I hope that helps

One thing to note -- absence seizures are also considered generalized seizures, because the entire brain is involved, even though they are very brief. So "a dazed look" can be a sign of a generalized seizure too.

Focal seizures have impaired or partial consciousness (some neurons are misbehaving), whereas generalized seizures feature full loss of consciousness. In an absence seizure, the loss of consciousness is usually only a few seconds but it is total, as if someone had flipped the on/off switch very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom