For the ladies

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Just had a Mirena fitted myself. It was a snap, since I was just replacing a 12-year-old Paraguard. Hope the process goes well for amy.

Thankyou , a little reassurance goes a very long way . Amy had her last depo jab the 17th of this month , so we are just waiting on a appointment for the merina to be fitted .

small update amy should of had her rescue med this week , but no symptoms present so she hadnt took the meds this month , no seziure , maybe with the depo not long been injected maybe this has helped as well

just another up date , what a month september has been

1) amy took a violent seziure in the bathroom , luckly just before i was leaving for work . It warrented an ambulance this time
2) crashed the car

3) amy took another sezire this month

No cycle involved - 7 weeks into her depo

merina due to be placed 28th nov

appointment being bumped up with mr smith for the 11 oct . Eplilepsy nurse has now advised Amy to take her rescue med for the next three nights

absoultly worried to death , i arrange for members of the family to either call in when she not in work . I dread the phone in work going i think i need some valium

Any advice would be gratefully apprecuaited

sharron

I'm so sorry for her and for you. Is she recovering alright from the seizures? Any guesses as to what brought them on?

hi nakamova

only thing that has been different is that she had a heavy cold , and dont no if this has any influence but she had been drinking lots and lots of cans of coke .

And then i get home friday night after work and the consultant has cancelled her appointment until dec 20th

I'm sorry to hear she's been experiencing the lows when meds. get mixed up. It's so frustrating when it happens to me. I understand, fully! I suffer debilitating vertigo-where things move rapidly! It makes me debilitated due to it making me very sick & unable to walk, without holding onto something so, I won't fall.

It's even harder when your moods, focus are out of sorts, & siezures are enabled to happen, Due to the mix up! Shame on the Dr. for Not specifing in the first place, for brand name only! As well as on the pharmisist for Not confirming if the generic would be alright!

My advice is to stay vigilent & Make Sure!, the Dr(s)., are Actually!, Listening & Paying Attention!, to what you & your daughter are saying &/or reporting to him/her.
Your daughter is a very strong, young lady! I know she'll make it through & come out on top!

"one Day At A Time!"

thankyou for your kind words

I also forgot to mention that when amy took her seziure in the bathroom the ambulance crew took her sugar levels , it was a four when we arrived at hospital they checked her sugar level again about 35 mins after the first and it was seven . i was thinking maybe the sudden drop may have fetched on the seziure

just kicking some ideas around until we see someone

dont know if this has any influence but she had been drinking lots and lots of cans of coke
Caffeine can be a trigger, and sugar rushes and crashes are hard on the system too. (If she was drinking Diet coke, the aspartame (Nutrasweet) can also be a seizure trigger.) In addition, the phosphorus in Coke (and other sodas) binds with the body's stores of calcium, magnesium and zinc, and then drains them from the body -- and those nutrients can play crucial roles in protecting the brain and controlling neurotransmission.

In general, it's good for folks with epilepsy to practice moderation -- in eating drinking, sleeping, etc. -- since our brains are more susceptible and vulnerable getting off-kilter. With that in mind, it would be great to encourage you daughter to go easy on the Cokes.

thanks for the advice nakamova , coke free household . Hospital phoned and we go and see doctor friday morning .

We had our appointment friday , and the dr wants Amy to up her keppra . 250 extra at night for two weeks then introduce another 250 in the morning , eventually she will be on 750 morning and night along with lamactal (300) . Also booked in for an mri scan not sure when that will be tho just waiting on an appointment . We go back in three months to see how she is getting on with the keppra.

I hope the keppra increase helps. Keep an eye out for any side effects, of course, but fingers-crossed there are none.

i have allsorts crossed at the present , but hopefully the keppra is the solution . im dreading the scan for all the stupid things i have had roaming around in my brain, all the what ifs , cant wait for 2012 to dissappear

amy has had her mri scan , now its waiting for the resullts . We have a appointment in january in the clinic . She is also back in the hospital 28th nov for her merina , then she goes again next week for a test for tb , her dad is beleived to have contracted it . then she back the 4th dec for her toes broken , can it get any worse . roll on 2013

Oh my gosh, you're gonna get way too familiar with the hospital. :( Don't forget to take care of yourself and stay healthy.

well amy has sleeping tb, the doctor seems to think that amy had a small dose of tb and her immune system had fort it without antibiatocis . we have to go back to see the chest doctor just so he can advise her of the symptoms.

she had her merina , which never went down to well, just hope this will do the trick when its that dreaded time of the month

also on count down for our next trip to the hospital (dec 4th). she has her toes broken so no moving around for two weeks

hi jonsey

just read your other thread...... so sorry to hear about your daughter.

keppra and lamcital do work together, they have helped me out a ton(more like my family). keppra isn't a stand alone drug, even though a lot of doctors are trying it alone before adding another.

doctors thought my seizures where happening because I was "of that age", went though alot of different meds before they found a med that worked, but in 2008 I wanted to be put on keppra.

just feel free to "walk around the board"

~Sharon(aka Cher)

keppra isn't a stand alone drug
Actually it's been used as both an adjunctive and stand-alone med for quite a while. Almost all anti-seizure drugs are first tested and approved as adjunct medicines (rather than stand-alones), because you can't safely swap out one med for another with human subjects. At this point, Keppra is considered safe for monotherapy. See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21395360

hi just a update , after another trip to the hospital with a burn to amys hand , a couple of days later she expericend her head pulling to the side . spoke to shelia she seems to think it was the shock of her burn . Amys had her pins in her feet , which went suprisingly well . unfrtunatley i have jst had a call from work off my mum has amy needs care for the next two weeks , she cant put her feet down unless its vists to the bathroom , amy just took a small seziure , i have left messages with the shelia , hopefully she will get back soon

Back
Top Bottom