For those with nocturnal seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
If you live/sleep alone, and don’t have any gadgets for this purpose, in what ways do you know that you’ve had a nocturnal seizure?

Hi Rheaceleste,

I had nocturnal seizures until I was put on vimpat and then they stopped. I could tell each time I had a seizure
because if I was asleep at night and had one I would wake up in the morning and feel exhausted for a good amount of
the day and if I had one in the evening I would feel the same way and sometimes I would get a wicked headache that would
last for hrs. I wasn't sure at first what was going on so I called my neuro and she did a sleep study and e.e.g. on me along with
a e.k.g. all at the same time. I had to stay overnight in the hospital and that's when she saw I was having about 2 seizures in the
morning before I would wake up but once I was put on vimpat along with mysoline the seizures stopped but I still have absence
and complex partial seizures that I have every month.
I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You,

Sue

I'm struggling with seizures at night :( I figure that's a reason behind a lot of my "sleep for 12 hours and wake up feeling like I haven't slept a wink." I've also woken up feeling shaky and like I had no muscle strength whatsoever and I just knew that I must've been having a seizure. I have also had nights like a year or so ago now where I would be laying in bed, and I knew I was tremoring and everything, but I couldn't sit up and I couldn't stop it and I'd lay there helpless because no one was awake to help. My husband is pretty on top of it, but I worry about him not getting sleep because I'm having issues. It has been an uphill battle.

I have seizures while I'm asleep and one way that I know I've had one is that I've chewed my mouth. I'll also pee myself during a seizure so I've stated sleeping with a pee pad on the bed.

There are other ways I know I've had a seizure in my sleep. Once I'd woke up and there was a hole in the lamp shade on my night stand, I must have had a seizure in my sleep and punched it. One of the most recent ones I woke up with black and blue marks all over my face, I looked like I was in a boxing match and lost. I don't know what all happened during it because I woke up in bed and didn't see what my face looked like until I looked in the mirror.

Hi Rheaceleste,

I had nocturnal seizures until I was put on vimpat and then they stopped. I could tell each time I had a seizure
because if I was asleep at night and had one I would wake up in the morning and feel exhausted for a good amount of
the day and if I had one in the evening I would feel the same way and sometimes I would get a wicked headache that would
last for hrs. I wasn't sure at first what was going on so I called my neuro and she did a sleep study and e.e.g. on me along with
a e.k.g. all at the same time. I had to stay overnight in the hospital and that's when she saw I was having about 2 seizures in the
morning before I would wake up but once I was put on vimpat along with mysoline the seizures stopped but I still have absence
and complex partial seizures that I have every month.
I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You,

Sue
For my nocturnal seizures I have been taking Dilantin for many years but my doctor wants me to switch to Vimpat. Is it difficult to switch from Dilantin to Vimpat? Thx, John Sturgis

Back
Top Bottom