[News] Generics vs. brand-name meds

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nakamova

Super Moderator / Thank You Queen
Reaction score
Article in today's New York Times about generic meds vs. the brand-name versions:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/19/health/19patient.html?emc=eta1

In the article, it mentions that insurers argue -- surprise, surprise -- that generics are the same as the brand-name versions. But:

[Two studies published last year in the journal Neurology found that patients who switched from a brand-name product to a generic one had more seizures or higher hospitalization rates. “For many drugs, generics are just fine,” said Kimford Meador, a professor of neurology at Emory University. “But when you’re taking a seizure medication, the therapeutic window is narrow,” Dr. Meador said. “If the absorption of the drug is slightly different between brand and generic or between generics, then the patient could have a seizure, and that seizure could lead to serious injury or perhaps even death.”
The problem is not just in changing from a name-brand drug to a generic, Dr. Meador said, but also switching from generic to generic. And the patient may not even know the change is happening. When patients are on maintenance medication for which a generic is available, they might be given a different version of the generic drug when refilling their prescriptions. A pharmacy might stock one generic for a few months, and then switch to another a few months later, if the store is offered a better deal on it.
A pharmacist is not required to notify the patient of the change, although some choose to do so.]

Last edited:
I am taking Keppra XR, Tegretol XR and now Lamictal- the only problem is the Lamictal is generic. I asked my neuro for a new script that says its medically necessary to use Lamictal and not Lamotrigine- she said there is no difference and she likes to start patients on generic then move to brand name. I have always asked for brand name meds- just don't have to worry about generic changes etc.
Generic Tegretol wasn't any good for me- I did notice a change in it when I was youger.
I am hoping that because I'm on Keppra XR 3000mg, and Tegretol XR 600mg that it won't matter if the Lamictal is generic or not.
We will have to see.

Thanks,
Crystal

In the New York Times http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/health/aangenerics.pdf
The American Academy of Neurology reports: "The AAN opposes generic substitution of anticonvulsant drugs for the treatment of epilepsy without the attending physician’s approval. The FDA has allowed for significant differences between name-brand and generic drugs. This variation can be highly problematic for patients with epilepsy. Even minor differences in the composition of generic and name-brand anticonvulsant drugs for the treatment of epilepsy can result in breakthrough seizures."

Please read the article, it's from those who know best and truly have OUR interests at heart!

Last edited:
My epileptologist writes brand-name only for me. She has my best interest at heart.

I have just requested that our generic Trileptal be changed to brand name and all other meds be issued for brand only.

Looking for answers in the quest to have my DD, 14 be seizure free. Perhaps this may help?

Back
Top Bottom