Getting enough sleep

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cinnabar

New
Reaction score
:ponder: My neurologist explained that the top two triggers for a seizure are lack of sleep and stress. The past few nights I visited a friend at her house. I tossed and turned the first night getting virtually no sleep. The new stimulation must have triggered a full evening of no sleep. I tossed and turned thinking I have to sleep or I'll seize - stressfull! No sleep. No seizure the next day. Next night averaged three hours sleep. Again stressing - if I don't sleep I'll seize. Home last night and I took me three hours to dream land. Usually after my heavy evening meds I'm sleeping after 15 min. Lack of sleep and stress caused my first seizure last year and I'm at the point where I'm afraid to hit the pillow tonight. I try to keep my life as stress free as possible now and with the meds I imagine these recent nocturnal nightmares are keeping the seizures at bay. Does anyone have this problem tossing and turning in their minds? Laurie

I HATE that situation!....

I was going through a stretch of that really bad when I first got on Zonegran (it finally subsided).
My epi suggested o-t-c Valerian Root before bedtime which really helped. I also tried to be sure and listen to soothing music or watch something positive or funny on tv (no news since it's usually depressing) so my dreaming was more likely to be happy.
what I got was not necessarily 'happy'---more zany---but it was better than no sleep at all!
I do not need anything to help me now as I've become accustomed to the drug in my system.
Hope this helps!
Spencer
:rock:

Thanks RobiN - I just jotted down tips (won't remember) from "Insomia - trouble falling alseep. I've read some of the very helpful and supportive posts. I figured I wasn't alone. Thank you so much - Laurie

Hmmmm....

Actually, yes I occasionally have insomnia.....However, I don't worry about not being able to sleep. Because the only thing worse than losing sleep is stressing out about it. :) There are times when I only get 5-6 hours sleep a night.....

Getting enough sleep ALL of the time can be quite challenging. Sometimes daily situations simply do not allow it. (like last thursday when my mom's basement flooded right after I laid down)

Fortunately, the fidgety insomnia is relatively limited for me, but when it does hit, it really sucks and it screws up the next day or two.

One solution is a little *ahem*. :secret:

Hi, evryone, I also have alot of trouble sleeping and stress. When i went to my 3 weeks ago and explained to him about my problem. I was hoping to go thru a sleep study because i also have some seizures, not all the time, but trying to go to sleep and during my wife thinks during my sleep. All he said was add one more lamictal, I am up to six now. Plus four keppra. Also does any have seizures whle on the computer. I have been having them. Dave

Hi, evryone, I also have alot of trouble sleeping and stress. When i went to my 3 weeks ago and explained to him about my problem. I was hoping to go thru a sleep study because i also have some seizures, not all the time, but trying to go to sleep and during my wife thinks during my sleep. All he said was add one more lamictal, I am up to six now. Plus four keppra. Also does any have seizures whle on the computer. I have been having them. Dave

I think you need to put your foot down and request a sleep study. Adding more meds is not an acceptable answer IMO

Up to six .. what does that mean. How many mg?

Also what alternative have you tried?

Sorry Robin it I am taking 3 100mg in the morning and 3 100mg at night. Keppra 2 750mg in th morning and 2 750mg at night. I drove 3hrs to see the epiltolgist and had to see the nurse pract. Not happy with my visit. Dave

Sorry Robin it I am taking 3 100mg in the morning and 3 100mg at night. Keppra 2 750mg in th morning and 2 750mg at night. I drove 3hrs to see the epiltolgist and had to see the nurse pract. Not happy with my visit. Dave
Have you tried a good exercise regimen? I find that to be a good stress buster. And, I take at least a 2 mile walk every night.

Hi Skillerfer - You're right the worst thing is stressing out about sleep when you're trying to get those zzzzz. This past Thursday it began when staying at a friends house overnight. It's been over a year that I had'nt spent a night in my own bed and I think the newness contributed to the fact that I got absolutely NO sleep the entire night. I kept thinking "Oh my God, I'm going to get a siezure - over and over all night. A futile mantra. I didn't sieze the next day but since then I've averaged about three hours a night. It's now a week to the day. No seizure. I think the Lamictal and Clonopin helped. I see my doctor today and will see what he has to say. Probably the simple but wise advice as yours. In the meantime I think I'll read a book instead of tossing and turning and worrying. Thanks - Laurie

Robin, I went to my general doctor Thursday, I told him everything that i have been going through. Guess what, he said we are setting me up for a sleep study. It took my regular doc to listen to me. Also he gave me imformation on depression. I did not think i had any problems. Then i read about it. 1. trouble sleeping 2. feeling tired. 3. feel nervous. 4. feel bad about themselves. 5. hard to remember things. There were others listed. He said that medicine, for depression, would help my seizures too. Please everyone, let me know what you think. Thanks alot, Dave

He said that medicine, for depression, would help my seizures too.

Depends on the drug. Some anti-depressents are contra-indicated for use with certain AEDs. Some can exacerbate seizure conditions.

Hopefully the sleep study will help determine the proper course of action.

Back
Top Bottom