Gluten free diet

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cinnabar

New
Reaction score
I've heard that this diet can control seizures amongst its many other benefits.
I was wondering if anyone has tried it. I've just begun (just found gluten free bread, at last!) Cheated one day and had an ice cream bar. All I tasted where chemicals. Ugh!

Hi Cinnabar,
My seizures were partially controlled with meds but with a gluten free diet + meds they are completely controlled. John Sturgis

Hi Cinnabar

I was already a diagnosed coeliac (celiac) for 13 or so years when my E developed, and on a strict gluten free (gf) diet.

Every now and then something derived from wheat slips under my radar (e.g. a colouring, flavouring or preservative), and my sps are worse at that time. This is partially why I encourage those with E to try the gf diet. However, as I'm affected by gluten/wheat anyway, the fact it affects my seizure activity, doesn't necessarily mean it will affect others. But it's always worth a try, for other E's to go gluten free to see if it reduces their sz activity. From reading in this community, there seems to be some success.

Good luck! (It isn't easy!)

Hi chel,
i do agree that gluten free, reduced chemical type diets may not help all people that have seizures to control them. There are many different triggers that inspire a seizure type activity which are extremely variable depending on the individual. One thing, though, is true these gluten type, chemical, additive world we live in is not good for any human body.
Do you agree?

I certainly do agree, John; but I'm surrounded by people who live on those awful cola drinks with which I could clean my car engine (from the outside), eat junk food, and down otc tablets by the handful to keep their mystery headaches at bay. They would disagree with us.

(Many of them) work in the health industry, btw.

Last edited:
Chel
Your right! I think the advertising pressures convinces the public that if they don't drink a sugar free drink they will be obese. They also impress on individuals that if you stop smoking you will gain weight because instead of a cigarette you'll eat high calorie foods.
Believe me, I'm far from perfect: example-instead of sitting here watching the Boston Red Sox play the New York Yankees I should be stretching or lifting exercises. I do have many friends who are in nursing & they do seem to be great offenders. It is certainly amazing the way big business money can control our internal desires!

instead of sitting here watching the Boston Red Sox play the New York Yankees I should be stretching or lifting exercises.

Ahh, but we all need our "down time". There's a difference between allowing yourself a treat (I'm talking about food now), and a whole lifestyle change. And I'm not a healthy lifestyle guru, as mine is fairly sedentary these days - more computer time than outdoor activities.

Enjoy the game, and I hope the Red Sox get up for you.

There are some valid points you've both made here. But the bottom line is that it couldn't hurt just as long as you're getting enough protien. I've also found that I'm no longer constipated since I've started this diet. Within two days! Regular everday which means I'm eliminating toxins. Did I mention that I also went sugar free? Now, I'm taking on two impossible endeavors! Sugar Bad! Years ago I went sugar free for 3 months. Broke down and had a small bite of chocolate cake and there I was in the bathroom sick as a dog. It's nothing more than a drug. I'll have to look it up but I wonder if sugar has some effect on E. And if anyone has recepies would love to here what you're up to. Here's a simple one I love.

1 heaping tablespoon of Quinoa (a complete protein grain) add at least a double amount of water and boil. In pan, stir fry red peppers (best gluten free veggie), other vegies, garlic, onions (tofu if you'de like). I even add a dash of gluten free salad dressing. It's like a pasta dish. A clean tast without being boring.

Hi Cinnabar, I take probiotics each day - prune Activia - when I wake up in morning. It really helps me in that area. I agree with what your doing. What is your recipe for gluten-free salad dressing? I just use olive oil & vinegar. John

Since I'm new to this my salad is in the works. So far, spinach or baby greens.
Red peppers, of course. Other vegies. Finely chopped garlic (great for you). I'm thinking of toasting bread and making croutons. For dressing, I use.

Oranic Ville sun dried tomato and garlic

I can handle imported feta cheese - you probably know it's Greek goat cheese - no lactaid - no chemicals. It doesn't have the same reaction that other cheeses have to me. I canalso have Berner Swiss Lace cheese it is a cow's milk type that is made without hormones, gluten or lactaid. They sell it at Shaws Supermarket if your near one. If not look on line & see if there is one that's close. I have talked, via email, to the owner of the Berner Company that makes it. His name is George S. Wenger. He can find that type of cheese in your area if you want. Let me know if your interested & I'll give you his email address. If not no problem. If you do try the feta -make sure it's imported from Greece & crumble it on your salad if you desire. --John

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't know that! I'll look for the Greek cause I love feta cheese

Interesting food choices here. I'm not much into salads (I know, weird, for a gf vegetarian), but recently discovered "piquant baby peppers". They're baby red peppers, stuffed with feta and cream cheese, drowned (sorry, can't think of a better word - post-ictal) in olive oil. Don't they sound perfect?! They're my current guilty pleasure (move over, chocolate!)

Hi Cinnabar

I was already a diagnosed coeliac (celiac) for 13 or so years when my E developed, and on a strict gluten free (gf) diet.

Every now and then something derived from wheat slips under my radar (e.g. a colouring, flavouring or preservative), and my sps are worse at that time. This is partially why I encourage those with E to try the gf diet. However, as I'm affected by gluten/wheat anyway, the fact it affects my seizure activity, doesn't necessarily mean it will affect others. But it's always worth a try, for other E's to go gluten free to see if it reduces their sz activity. From reading in this community, there seems to be some success.

Good luck! (It isn't easy!)

I am curious if you have eliminated casein, soy and corn?

I would disagree that it isn't easy. I have found it to be so. Just a different way to look at food and my choices.

Back
Top Bottom