Gluten free diet

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Robin, really glad you dropped by. I had to look up "Casein" and from what I read ... I'll pass!

Paint Casein paint is a fast-drying, water-soluble medium used by artists. Casein paint has been used since ancient Egyptian times as a form of tempera paint, and was widely used by commercial illustrators as the material of choice until the late 1960s when, with the advent of acrylic paint, casein became less popular.[citation needed]

Glue Casein-based glues were popular for woodworking, including for aircraft, as late as the de Havilland Mosquito.

Just the other night I developed a sty (I'm not prone to them). I began to wonder if this had something to do with my body detoxing from gluten. Sure enough I discovered that this is what's going on. So, I consider it a drug just as I do sugar. (Once went on a sugar free diet for three months, broke down, immediately felt dizzy and made it just in time to the Ladie's Room to vomit.)

I read that Vitamin E is an important suppliment to the GF diet. Are you aware of any others?

Can't wait till next week when my girlfriend and I will be shopping at Wild by Nature. I think I'll be like a kid in a candy shop (no pun intended!) But speaking of: My Waldbaum's is now selling GF yummies, like brownies and muffins. Costly and caloric but what the heck, now and then won't hurt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casein_protein

Last edited:
I am curious if you have eliminated casein, soy and corn?

Hi Robin

No concerted effort to eliminate any of these completely, although I'm wary of soy and corn in particular. I'll state honestly, that I *do not cook* (other than to re-heat, or make up a packet mix). Many items I re-heat or bake from a packet use corn or soy as a wheat substitute, but a couple of brands are free from all of them.

I find that corn sends me to the bathroom in a hurry the next day, and soy might be a sz trigger. I tolerate small amounts of lactose-free dairy with no problem.

I'm happy with what I'm doing, diet-wise - it rarely sets off a gluten response, we have stringent labelling laws in Australia, and I'm more likely to have problems with the fillers used in my medication than I am with food.

When I said "it isn't easy", I was referring to reading the labels, and educating yourself about the hidden wheat and gluten in manufactured foods. Fortunately, for those in Nth America, you use corn/maize as a filler, in flavours, colours and preservatives, where we use wheat; that does make it easier for you. However, it does still take some education in the early stages.

The labelling laws make educating the newbie gluten free eater even more difficult, depending on how serious they are about going "gluten free". In Nth America, your manufactured products can be labelled "gluten free" under different rules than in Australia, and tbh, some would make me very ill. We're having this battle in Australia right now, as there is a push for FSANZ to lower our standards to what the US and other countries use, meaning that labelled "gluten free" would actually have more gluten in it. Makes no sense. To me, and a whole lot of others, gluten free should mean NO gluten.

Anyway, I digress. Post-ictal, near full moon, I've had to miss out on my chosen activity today, and all that...

Now, I don't think I'm very clear about casein. Any info?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks so much, Chel, for the links you supplied. The only benefit of casien that I could find was the following from Wiki:

An attractive property of the casein molecule is its ability to form a gel or clot in the stomach, which makes it very efficient in nutrient supply. The clot is able to provide a sustained slow release of amino acids into the blood stream, sometimes lasting for several hours.[7] This provides better nitrogen retention and use by the body.[8] Plasma immunoreactive IGF-1 concentration in rats given a casein diet was higher than that in rats given a soya-bean-protein or protein-free diet.[9] Because of its slow digesting properties, casein is widely used between meals and before bed to help bodybuilders maintain in an anabolic state.[10]

The other link you supplied was indeed helpful as it supplied a list of casien free food labels such as Star Kist tuna because it contains spring water. So, no more Chicken of the Sea for me. And..Kellog's pop tarts are safe. I hope they have the cinnamon I enjoyed as a child because I am going to indulge! By the way cinnamon is great for GF diet. I load my grits with it.

I'd like to bring up the topic of soy milk vs almond milk. My girlfriend and I had an interesting discussion about the two. Just a note: (Though the least of issues, I cannot tolerate the taste of almond milk.) Both she and her husband drink it, she touting it's benefits - I, speaking of soy milks benefits.

Almond milk certainly has many healthful properties. But when I read about how it reduces weight gain I thought of the vainglorious flocking to it. Here goes the good stuff.

Almond milk is one of the most nutritionally valuable milk substitutes available today. It is high in a number of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, manganese, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, selenium, iron, fiber, zinc and calcium. Almond milk is low in calories, at only 40 calories per eight ounce serving, and low in fat. It contains only three grams of fat per eight ounce serving. Almond milk is lactose, gluten, casein and cholesterol free; it's also free of saturated fats.

But soy is the way for me to go as I think it has more important benefits.

Foods based on soy fit American Cancer Society dietary guidelines to reduce cancer risk and they contain various anti carcinogens

From what I've researched, almond milk doesn't provide any helpful source in regards to cancer.

A good reason for me to consume it: I could be prone to Osteoporosis. It's in my family, I'm small boned and used to be a heavy smoker.

It benefits eye health. I have Glaucoma.

Soy milk also can fend off Diabetes and Kidney disease and it's good for Heart health.

But there's a downfall as with both.

Some research has shown that soy and soy extracts containing the isoflavone genistein may cause some thyroid problems

So if anyone wants to dig into this issue, get out your shovel!

Thanks again, Chel, for your very educational resources. Laurie

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-artic...the-healthier-choice-almond-milk-vs-milk.html
http://www.qtessencesoymilkmaker.com/soy-health-benefits.html

Last edited:
Didn't know that! I'll look for the Greek cause I love feta cheese

I think it has to do with that it's a crumbly cheese. Shorter lactic chains or something. Cheese curds and cottage cheese might be worth trying also.
Peter

Gluten Free Diet

Hi everyone,

My 8 year old son was diagnosed with Absence Seizures a year ago next month. We were blessed his seizures were as such that we had the time to seek alternative methods.

My son and I have been on a gluten free, cow dairy free, nut free, low sugar diet since February along with juicing every morning (carrots, beets, cucumbers). He went from 6 - 10 seizures per day, to 3 - 6 per day, to zero per day most recently... holding my breath. All this without medications.

There are 2 changes that happened most recently that may have contributed to his seizures stopping (discontinuing his liquid vitamin and drinking Kangen water) or it could be the diet above or any varying combination.... still holding breath.

Just remember, any homeopathic/holistic method you choose, consistency for at least six consecutive months is the key. Extremely difficult, but worth it.

Good luck to all!

Hi everyone,

My 8 year old son was diagnosed with Absence Seizures a year ago next month. We were blessed his seizures were as such that we had the time to seek alternative methods.

My son and I have been on a gluten free, cow dairy free, nut free, low sugar diet since February along with juicing every morning (carrots, beets, cucumbers). He went from 6 - 10 seizures per day, to 3 - 6 per day, to zero per day most recently... holding my breath. All this without medications.

There are 2 changes that happened most recently that may have contributed to his seizures stopping (discontinuing his liquid vitamin and drinking Kangen water) or it could be the diet above or any varying combination.... still holding breath.

Just remember, any homeopathic/holistic method you choose, consistency for at least six consecutive months is the key. Extremely difficult, but worth it.

Good luck to all!

hi JoB- I'm in Dallas too!
I have been thinking "gluten free" but wow that's a pretty tough diet - so I've been cutting back on wheat-based, or I've been at least giving myself a guilt-trip whenever I eat anything containing wheat - har har har
but since eating healthier and cutting down on the coffee I've, I've... well I had a big tonic-clonic last Saturday, so who the heck knows - but I've been needing to eat more anyway - and individual is different - gluten might not be my problem anyway
stress has been a big factor - but diet helps that too...
I've been eating more fruit again too
but God bless and best wishes
Peter

JoB -- That's great to hear! My question -- how are YOU feeling on this diet?

yea cause i tried it and my body didn't respond well even though i have digestive problems.i want to know how people go completely glutein free.my dr didn't recommend it i just tried it on my own cause i tried to cut out milk cause it has it in it but that's how i get my vitamins cause im on topamax so im never hungry any advice would be helpful dr no help.

yea cause i tried it and my body didn't respond well even though i have digestive problems.i want to know how people go completely glutein free.my dr didn't recommend it i just tried it on my own cause i tried to cut out milk cause it has it in it but that's how i get my vitamins cause im on topamax so im never hungry any advice would be helpful dr no help.

I made a post about this...the other week I decided to try a gluten minimal diet. I rarely feel hungry and with all the seizures I was eating alot of bread (sandwiches) and crackers. I don't drink milk, just a tad in my coffee.

I like fruit and vegetables but due to transportation was getting most of them frozen. I was able to find a woman that lives close to me who goes to the grocery store weekly. She has a gas efficient vehicle so I help her out with gas and she takes me with her.

So, instead of the bread, morning bagel and sandwiches I'm eating apples, grapes and cubed cheese. I have my main meal of 1/2 cup of rice, mixed veg and a little meat. Only a lil meat cause I'm not a big meat eater. It's usu chicken breast, sometimes steak or shrimp. Or I have part of a baked potato, a garden salad and the meat.

It's been an easy move for me, but eating is also an inconvenience of life for me. The huge benefits are that I am no longer having the daytime seizures like I was and I'm no longer constipated. Yeah!!

I take a multivitamin, vit b and vit d daily.

I should also mention....a huge thanks to Robin and others who talk about the gluten and food sensitivities so much.
:tup:

do u still take meds? or is the diet it cause some people have been able to go med free.

I am currently on Keppra - 1750mg. My drs said the keppra wasn't helping with the partials but it was reducing the t/c's.

So with reducing the gluten intake seeming to reduce the day partials I'm starting to feel human again.

At least thats how I see it. My schedule and life are fairly routine and mundane so triggers can be easy to spot.

thanks for the help fruit and veggies it is for now on.cause nobody else has beenn able to help cause i already drink a crap load of water cause of the topamax.

I forgot to mention...I bought that book that Robin linked in another thread. It was very informative and a good read.

Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD

So glad to hear that some of the suggestions have made you feel better Eli

So glad to hear that some of the suggestions have made you feel better Eli

Much better!!!! I wanted to make it through last night before posting stats (because I average by the week/month) so I guess I'll go ahead.

It's been 3 weeks now with about a 90-95% reduction in gluten/bread products.

Average weekly seizures by month:
June - 7.75
July - 8
Aug - 6.8
Revamp my eating patterns...
Sept - 4

Hmmmm....you decide, I know I have! :woot:

Again, ty Robin for providing so much info (along with others) on the topic.

Back
Top Bottom