Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Stopped Zonegran 6 days ago, was only on 50 mg, but experiencing a constant daily headache and just feeling like I have the flu (aches and pains all over), weakness. Has anyone experienced any withdrawal effects going off of Zonegran. I have been on Zonegran for over a year.

The reason I am going off of Zonegran is due to developing a uric acid kidney stone which I am trying to pass now. I did not realize that Zonegran can do this, as I am subject to kidney stones and should never have been put on this medication. I am now on Flomax and Hydrocone for pain management while I pass the dreaded stone. Hoping it passes as I do not want to have it surgically removed and have a stent placed in me. Just went thru a liver biopsy three weeks ago and don't want to experience anymore anesthesia.

I have been on everything (67 years old). So, primary and neurologist suggested Neurontin starting at 100 mg, mostly due to restless legs and leg cramps.

Need to wait until the Zonegran has cleared my system. I understand it takes 160 hours to clear out?

Everything I have been put on has damaged an organ, so fearful starting anything at all now. Depakote caused liver damage which I am dealing with now.

I also need something for generalized anxiety and depression,wondering if Neurontin will help with that. My psych doc did not want me on Neurontin due to cross sensitivity with Klonopin, that I am currently on. Just take out all my organs and then take medication, therefore no side effects, lol. Just a little humor here.

Thank you for listening :)

Debbie

Hey Debbie -- sorry to hear that you are having med problems. :(

Zonegran was not a good match for me for me either. I developed appetite/stomach issues on it and I was dehydrated as well. I tapered off of Zonegran over the course of about a month, while I was tapering onto Lamotrigine. Since I was recovering from a big seizure and also adjusting to the lamotrigine during that time, it's hard to know for sure if I was experiencing any withdrawal side effects.

Your flu-like symptoms may be related to the kidney stone -- you might have developed an infection -- or you could still be dehydrated from the Zonegran.

I hope you feel better soon.

Hi Nakamova ~ The blood work did not reveal an infection during the ER visit, but wondering now, that was 8 days ago that I was in the ER. Good guess, thank you, will watch out for signs of a kidney infection. I have been very good now trying to get the kidney stone out, so I have been drinking 9- 8oz glasses of water a day.

On the subject of dehydration, YES, I was always dehydrated, no matter how much water I consumed, I was very symptomatic of dehydration. I am soo glad I am going off this drug. As each day progresses the headache is slowly going away. I am going to give it a month before I start on Neurontin, want it to completely go out of my system and not anxious to experience the battle of adjusting to new side effects.

Again, thank you Nakamova :)

Debbie

Debbie

Hi Debbie
Sorry to hear you didn't going too well on Zonegran .
I've been on Zonegran for 2 years now which was added to tegretol and Keppra.

Apart from some issues with having trouble sleeping when I was in the early stages of it I haven't had too many issues and out of all the meds I've been on this has been the best combo that's controlled the seizures.

I was on neurontin from 2009 - 2010 but it wasn't a good match for me as it really messed with my moods and made me tired. I used to have to have to a sleep in the day, otherwise I'd have seizure. I have issues with moods and stress so am always careful with the meds. But I had a psychologist who taught me techniques to deal better with everything going on.

Good luck, hope the medication adjustment gos well

I just started Zonegran last year, because of our insurance changing. I'm taking 300mg/day of it along with 400mg/day of Topamax. (I was taking 400mg Vimpat and 400mg Topamax before that.) I am still averaging 1-3 breakthrough simple &/or complex partials each month. I, have been on every AED out there, too. I was allergic to 4.

Back
Top Bottom