Good jobs for people with epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

real estate ad advertising like virtual tours you don't need a real estate license here in Oregon to do this job... I miss my job.... :(

real estate went poof so did my job!

maybe it will pick up again

love angel

You bet!

I think there is something about the musical side of her brain that does not trigger seizures. So maybe that would be a good therapy to keep the music playing 24/7 for her.

I'm with you 100% on that one Robin!
:rock:

Does anyone one know of a good place to get paid for writing online? Some topic areas could be: Seizures (of course), music, poetry, video games, computers, fishing, camping, etc.

Getting paid per submission site, would be ideal. I'm not looking to get rich, just some pocket money.

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGIH_enUS229US229&q=write+articles+for+money]write articles for money[/ame]

There are also a few forums on the 'net like digitalpoint where people advertise article writing services, graphic design services, etc. (see the buy/sell/trade forum topic).

Dear Jeanette,

>Axa, things must be very different where you live. Many of us who do not work do so because of our health and not because we are lazy.

Of course my writing reffered to those whose health condition allow them to work.

Schedule A eligibility for people with epilepsy

As a person with epilepsy I qualify for consideration under Schedule A (non-compeditive status) which gives me a boost due to the fact that the federal government still uses a quota system and is always looking for people with disabilities . - Dave

Dave,

My VR case worker declined to issue me a Schedule A as I have been able to drive for the last 12 years - (I was unable to drive the previous 8 before that due to seizures). I was told you have to have active seizure or you're not considered to have any barriers to employment, which is what the Schedule A is supposed to rectify.

I had been offered a position at a Federal Agency but it has been put on hold pending an appeal. If I am unable to get the Schedule A, I don't get the job. I had been out of work since November 2007 and start a temp job tomorrow paying half of what I use to make, no benefits and a 1.5-2 hour compute each way.

Dave, is there any citation for people with a history of epilepsy qualifying for the schedule A, even if they currently have control of their seizures?

Thanks.

PaulG

animation

I'm still in college but I want to be an animator, or an illustrator. But an animator would be cool. I've made an animated movie before, and it was a lot of work but really fun. You're like a wizard, making your pictures move. Also you can write stories, even be one of the voices. I'd also be down with drawing comics, which I love, but right now at college my major is computer animation. I may change it to traditional, I'm not sure yet. I was thinking that I should major in illustration because illustrators work from home, but I like animation, and it's only college. Robert Crumb is a famous comic book artist who didn't even go to college. For two years now I've just been taking art classes, but now I think it's time to focus more. There's taxis, the bus, the train, and people who will give you a ride. In New York you don't need a car. Unfortunately I'm from Evanston, a suburb of Chicago. Chicago has better pizza in my opinion. I'll be going to school in Chicago, and the train is great, cheap too. People shouldn't be so dependent on cars. However stairs... that's trouble.

want to work from home

my names cheryl and im in the uk.
i cant tolerate my meds and im on last options, still having seizures and i lost my job last july and my doctor has recommended i take time out.

i really need to do something although some days i cant even get up, so there's no way i can hold a job the way i am now.

I've been looking to see if i can do something from home which is flexible but i cant seem to find anything good for me.
i cant do computers for to long, i cant drive and with my depression as well I'm not good with people.
is anyone else having the same problems??
and does anyone have any ideas??

Last edited:
depends on the call center,
out bound call center I would say no
in bound call center maybe, and it depends on your personality type.
I can do it well, but it is because I dont connect with people. I did tech support for ages

I have buit a few websites for people and written and edited wordpress and a few other things, people pay for that sorta thing.

And I am a photographer, I just high speed lenses and keep my flash work to a minimum. Learned how to use natural lighting early on.

I also worked as a bicycle tech for a few years was a nice calm job.

but i did have to give up pro wrestling

Hello Axa!

Welcome to the forum! I completely understand how you feel about being totally dependent on someone. I have that same feeling. This has been a source of many sore discussions. I do have an MS in Environmental Science and have a very impressive resume. I'm not worried about being able to become employed, but the time gap is growing larger from when I worked until now. My life is like a soap opera... very entertaining. :)

Also, just for the record, my father's mother was Polish and her family came from Chezlovakia (please excuse the spelling). I'm in the process of learning Spanish, as it's the one closest to us. It's amazing how so many people speak so many languages.

My mother was also an actress, that helped do set work, as well as wrote free lance articles for a travel agency.

I'm in the same boat as you I'm afraid. I also have a environmental degree, only I have a BA in Earth Science. After college, the only job postings I could find required one for a driver's license, which is problematic since I don't drive. Finding jobs as a lab technician and a pharmacy tech have also been trouble.

Finding jobs has been frustrating, but I worked at a summer camp as a counselor and I work at a home improvement store, but don't work some of the forklifts or other machines there, mostly help customers. I wonder what my next move is going to be or if any science jobs will hire me after so long after looking. I live at home earning chump change.

I write... never had anything puplished but people say I'm good. At least in my own language, I don't know about the other languages I speak. I have sold some drawings. I can't rely on that as a monthly income but it's nice with a little extra here and there.

Maybe some people do fine with a job, I just know I get very tired and have trouble handling a job. I had one where I only had to be there 3x4 hours a week so that's not much but was possible for me. I started out working every day but I simply couldn't and my boss suggested I worked 3 days a week so that I could keep working. They really liked me there. :) I started in school afterwards and that is even worse. Wonder if I'll ever finish an education.

This is an interesting discussion. I am considering finding a different line of work due to the stress of my current job where I'm self employed. I'm wondering if there are any funds available to people like us to be retrained?

There are certainly lots of very expensive IT retraining courses available online. I'm not sure if there are any funds available from the benefits office- but they usually have some pathetic IT courses that might teach you to use a word processor for free.

I've found working as a sysadmin/developer/malware researcher for a company to be very stressful and it ended up increasing my seizure rate.

Setting yourself up as a programming consultant/contractor can be difficult without references and if you end up having a seizure and not finishing the work by the agreed time, you can get hit by a massive sue-ball, or simply not paid- depending how urgent it was and how strict the contract :(

Although I usually suggest people set themselves up as contractors in other professions, I think in IT it's better to work for someone but telecommute.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom