Got my eyes checked

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon I had my eyes checked for a new pair of glasses around 4pm. I'm sure most of you know what goes on during a rutine exame- they blow a puff of air in your eyes, have you look at lights, blink lights in your eyes and so on.

That evening around 8pm or so I had a small sez. I don't know if the two of these might be related to one another or now. I've never had problems with strobe lights or anything of that sort before. I've gone to concerts with flashing lights, tv programs and all those things have never bothered me.

Since there was about a 4 hour gap inbetween the exam I just wanted to know if anyone thinks that the two may have been related.

My eye doc knows I have seizures, so he avoids the eye dilation test. He says he won't do it until I've gone at least one year without a seizure. :)

My eye doc knows I have seizures, so he avoids the eye dilation test. He says he won't do it until I've gone at least one year without a seizure. :)

What do eye dilation tests have to do with epilepsy? I've gone to numerous eye docs who've all known about my seizures & all have given me the dilation test

Well, the puff of air is a glaucoma test. it basically test the pressures in you eyes. This used to be done with a needle like gauge poked directly on your eyeball to check what amount of pressure is there. This is usually a startling but not painful test. It takes me about 5 tries to get it done, as I can anticipate it coming and blink too soon, and when it does hit, it gives this "ew" factor that something was just in my eye. so maybe a concern there???? I doubt it

The light dilation tests I can see how they may pose some concerns to photosensitive people. epileptic or not, as it does create a bright blob in your vision. the purpose of this test is to actually see the back of the retinas in work, instead of just the "follow the light" test. so your pupils will be in constant dilation and contraction repeatedly much like during a seizure in most, if not all people. Still its just a lump assumption.

The actual dilation tests involve an eye drop liquid which forces your pupils to dilate to full capacity. this is an uncomfortable and nauseating experiance. I have put the drops in peoples eyes, only to have the faint moments later. it causes your near and distance vision to become tunnel like and dark, so you only have your intermiate area available to some degree. This to me, reminds me of an aura, or a complex partial. I have only had these drops once, and I am not fond of them. I will have to get them in both eyes on June the 13. no fun.

yeah, which would be hard. because you can actually miss so many things if you dont do those tests. so its a catch 22 there.

The only thing that would worry me is that, seeing "lights" and floaters are signals of glaucoma and/or retinal detachment, so without those tests you would never know. especially if you associate them with a seizure.

But Val, I'd warn him next time around about what happened. while you are making the appointment so he can maybe adapt his testing for you.

Eyes...

Eyes.... does anybody else have focus problems with their eyes? My left eye gets blurry and focuses in and out.

Sometimes objects look close, then far away, then close, then far away. It's like alice-in-wonderland.

My neurologist said to get checked out by an opthamologist, my optometrist says "occular migraines," but I'm wondering if it's related to the epilepsy.

Back
Top Bottom