Has a cause been found for your seizures?

Has a cause been identified for your seizures? (Choose all that apply)

• No. It's a big mystery.

Votes: 80 35.6%
  • Maybe. We have some suspicions, but it's hard to know.

Votes: 74 32.9%
  • Yes. There was an event, injury, or an illness/physical cause that caused my seizures.

Votes: 56 24.9%
  • It's a confusing topic - I may have more than one cause, some we know, some we don't..

Votes: 30 13.3%
  • I don't care what the cause is, so don't ask me.

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I care what the cause is. I want to know.

Votes: 50 22.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mine started with inflamed adenoids, removed, went away for 10 years or so, then came back! MRI clear, EEG clear. Doc says might be sleep apnea, but they're not really sure. Aggravating not knowing what's wrong.

Hi im new to this site, I am 61 years old and I had my first seizure, and my question to you is are you saying that potatoes cause all seizures or just affect yours ? because it so happens I had 3 bowls of potato soup that day, and I thought it might have been the seasoning that I put in it??

Hi im new to this site, I am 61 years old and I had my first seizure, and my question to you is are you saying that potatoes cause all seizures or just affect yours ? because it so happens I had 3 bowls of potato soup that day, and I thought it might have been the seasoning that I put in it??

it is very possible that allergic reactions could cause seizures

if you've been eating the same diet for a long time though and have only recently experienced these things I would consider degenerative effects of life itself or to some things that have changed recently in your life such as head injury, etc.

welcome aboard the site!

you'll find a lot of great info here and a lot of support

My doctor thinks that having an eating disorder has lowered my seizure threshold somehow. Typical factors that cause people with eating disorders to have seizures include hypoglycemia and ketoacidosis, but my blood results were within normal ranges. I DO struggle with low blood sugar, but at the time of the last seizure my blood sugar was tested and it was 8.2mmol/L (normal). I really don't know how my doctor is going to prove that it's eating disorder-related.

I do want to know the cause though.

It also can be that your threshold has been lowered over time due to many factors. A food sensitivity and the fact that potatoes to your system are the same as eating a handful of sugar, and seasonings can be high in MSG - a known neurotoxin, all leading to a symptom known to each of us = Seizure.

My doctor thinks that having an eating disorder has lowered my seizure threshold somehow. Typical factors that cause people with eating disorders to have seizures include hypoglycemia and ketoacidosis, but my blood results were within normal ranges. I DO struggle with low blood sugar, but at the time of the last seizure my blood sugar was tested and it was 8.2mmol/L (normal). I really don't know how my doctor is going to prove that it's eating disorder-related.

I do want to know the cause though.

Rebecca's neuro told us that just the fact of having a seizure raises the blood sugar and so testing at that time might not be advantageous IMO. My daughters levels were all within normal range when she had fasting blood sugar tests done. It wasn't until the EMTs tested it after a seizure and it was in the 30's. Only then was a request put in for a 3 hr glucose tolerance test made. It went to 50 that day and might have gone lower had we done a 4 hr test.

There is also something called Reactive Hypoglycemia. You can Google that along with Seizure and read up on it.

If you are waiting for the medical community to find the cause you just might be waiting quite a long while. I suggest that you creat a journal or use a blank calendar like I did and write down anything relevant. Over time you might see similarities and then begin to connect the dots.

There is a huge connection between brain and gut. Becoming knowledgeable about this might give you the personal power to overcome your disorder and begin to help others.

diet and seizures

It sounds weird; I have noticed over the years that for me Lecithin (which is ubiquitous) but it is a nurotransmitter and in most cases "good for the brain" but it is cumulative and i can not have much or i will have a seizures Egg yolks are the highest natural source and one egg will cause a seizure for me like a day later. Soy lecithin is added to almost all processed food and having lots of that build up over a few days causes me to have another. I recently had a few big T/Cs , the last "sustained" so i woke up in the hospital a day later and they doubled my meds. What do you think of them apples?

Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Cuncussive Syndrome at age 26 and are believed to be the source of mine since no immediate family history or personal history of seizures.

Been to the neuro and I asked this very question and because I get them so infrequent. NO.
Since I was 4years could be in the family genes?.

FFShawn, I have brain damage from a massive TBI myself. That seems likely the real cause (at least of the start of it) never had a seizure before, and it was 25 years ago. ???

Janus, That is what I've been told by anyone that has seen me as well, since I had no prior history or head injuries before the accident. Although mine was only 2.5 years ago, so I'm still new to all this!

mine started after I had a what didn't seem like a bad hockey injury, but maybe was (a guy trying to clear the puck on a power play, and my face got in the way - at least I kept the puck in :))(I got 'buzzed' unconscious briefly) - but mine started a little while after that - but also almost 10 years sober now, and used to drink a lot, every day (recovering alcoholic) - I consider mine more a cumulative thing maybe jumpstarted by a wrist shot to my cheekbone

I think eating certain foods makes a difference. I know it does in my son. Its like drinking. Some people can drink a glass of wine and be just fine. Not me. And some people just have a lower threshold from the beginning. And some things we will never know.

sober.

mine started after I had a what didn't seem like a bad hockey injury, but maybe was (a guy trying to clear the puck on a power play, and my face got in the way - at least I kept the puck in :))(I got 'buzzed' unconscious briefly) - but mine started a little while after that - but also almost 10 years sober now, and used to drink a lot, every day (recovering alcoholic) - I consider mine more a cumulative thing maybe jumpstarted by a wrist shot to my cheekbone

I really appreciate that. I am also recovering (17 years in May). Keep it real.

I really appreciate that. I am also recovering (17 years in May). Keep it real.

My 10 years date is April 1. Not that I have been going, not in a long time, but you bet I'm going in to get a damn chip! Then maybe go out and buy some drinks for strangers.

Ya, my teenager love Mcdonalds and fries, but he loves salads. I started having seizures with a high fever with the chicken pox. When I was 10. 1975. He said I probably already had it. Just the petit mal. who knows right? Oh man April fools day. Try to fool it with cheese cake or something! keep me posted! teresa

Cause for my seizures? Well, it's all in the family!

When I began having grand mal seizures--that's what they called them in '75--I went into several in a row and the kids' dad drove me an hour away to the teaching hospital where I could get decent care. I received an angiogram, and was told if they found anything they'd test me for two things--one, to see if there were anything in there causing problems, and, if so, two, since I'm a southpaw, to see which side of my brain is dominant. Turns out it could be either. Afterwards, I found out nothing was there, and never did find out which side of my brain runs the show. BUT...he did ask if there were other family members I might know of who also had epilepsy. Seems that mine appeared to be the familial type.
Fast forward about three decades, I did some family history and was talking to a new-found distant cousin on the phone. It occurred to me to ask him, among other things, about what that neurosurgeon said so many years ago...and he verified that, yes, in the line he comes from, on mom's side, there is a family history. Later on, my second oldest offspring also learned he inherited that, along with a music addiction, from me. :brain:

Has a cause been found for your seizures? :ponder:

While my second brain surgery was to cut out Arteriovenous Malformations (AVM's), that is what they suspected caused my seizures. I have always assumed since then that they know what they are doing and that even though removing the AVM's did not stop the seizures, they believed that was what started the seizure problems. :mad:

Mine began after a clinic dr. prescribed Amantadine and Naproxyn for a nasty case of virus that made my joints hurt almost to the point of tears. Later, I consulted the Physician's Desk Reference and fount that BOTH these drugs are known to cause seizures. Later, much later, in 2011, I was 'subjected' to a three day EEG video study (Believe me, you don't want to know about this procedure. It is no fun to lay around with wires attached to your head for three days while they withdraw all your meds, waiting to produce 'three good grand mal seizures')

I later spoke with non-doctors in the medical profession, such as nurses, etc. who said they had either seen or experienced the same effects. Of course, all the drs. have covered for each other and told me it was just a coincidence. Right...

Back
Top Bottom