Has a cause been found for your seizures?

Has a cause been identified for your seizures? (Choose all that apply)

• No. It's a big mystery.

Votes: 80 35.6%
  • Maybe. We have some suspicions, but it's hard to know.

Votes: 74 32.9%
  • Yes. There was an event, injury, or an illness/physical cause that caused my seizures.

Votes: 56 24.9%
  • It's a confusing topic - I may have more than one cause, some we know, some we don't..

Votes: 30 13.3%
  • I don't care what the cause is, so don't ask me.

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I care what the cause is. I want to know.

Votes: 50 22.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

For me it was AVM that they learned about and had to clear up... but that was just the start. I am not 100% sure they were correct as to the cause of my seizures, but then what do i know. Today I don't agree with them so much and who knows what I will feel tomorrow. :lol:

Gday , doc say`s i have a benign brain tumor + stress , lack of sleep and lots of other things helped too .

I got bucked off a running horse last year and went head first into a steel wall. The owner of the horse refused to get me medical treatment, out of fear that I would sue her so I don't know how long I was unconscious. I ended up driving myself to the hospital 2 hours away when I woke up and I had a brain bleed, broken ribs, and 3 fractured vertebrae.

The possibility of seizures was never discussed in the hospital but I ended up having seizures 4 months later and diagnosed with Epilepsy with a positive EEG.
And now here I am a year later with you wonderful people!!! :) :)

motorbill66 that is an amazing story and unfortunately, very believable today. So thanks for sharing that, it really seems that we are what make all the difference; person to person with real experiences. I love this forum and feel close to my fellow inmates on here.

Wow, as many times as I have told this stupid story can't believe I never posted it here.

So either was, used to be a bike tech in Oklahoma. Part of that meant I had to be everywhere for the shop, and had a house full of bikes. So once I was out mountain biking, and got a tick bite. Not being from Ok, I had not gotten my shots for those, I sat on my couch one day and didn't get up till a month later missing five plus years of my memory. And having an issue forming new memories. Think memento or 50 first dates. (I loathe that movie)
They think it was Lyme disease but they gave me the wrong meds while I was in the hospital, I also ran up a 115 degree plus temp which is apparently a record for that hospital and have someone live,

I hate setting records in hospitals. I like having nice calm stays. Either way, we found out I can't cant take take several meds, I have a nice list.

but I have a scar on my temporal lobe, and several other things going for me, so my epilepsy could have just been caused my hard living and waiting to happen. My life has been interesting 7 concussions later

BrandiBrat and COurt those are killer stories and comforting to know we're not alone eh?

Yes, it's another reason this place is so special to me. Life is so fragile, isn't it?

Had a stroke 2 years ago. Within a month I started having partials but they were the psychic kind so my therapist and I thought I was having some new kind of anxiety attacks with depersonalization. Well there was a lot more to it but I was scared to tell much for fear of sounding off the wall which I was sure I already did. I waited a few months until I had even said anything was happening. The complex partials started not long after and then the nuero explained both and made me sound more sane to my therapist and psych. lol I have tonic clonic occasionaly too now.

Had a stroke 2 years ago. Within a month I started having partials but they were the psychic kind so my therapist and I thought I was having some new kind of anxiety attacks with depersonalization. Well there was a lot more to it but I was scared to tell much for fear of sounding off the wall which I was sure I already did. I waited a few months until I had even said anything was happening. The complex partials started not long after and then the nuero explained both and made me sound more sane to my therapist and psych. lol I have tonic clonic occasionaly too now.
More or less the same thing happened to me. I started having partials within 24 hours of having a stroke. I kept going to the doctor telling her my arm and leg would get heavy feeling and at times it felt like my shoulder would fall out of its socket. I also complained about chronic tiredness. I was afraid to tell them about the phantom odors for fear they would think I was insane. Once I admitted to that, it was easy to figure out what was going on.

More or less the same thing happened to me. I started having partials within 24 hours of having a stroke. I kept going to the doctor telling her my arm and leg would get heavy feeling and at times it felt like my shoulder would fall out of its socket. I also complained about chronic tiredness. I was afraid to tell them about the phantom odors for fear they would think I was insane. Once I admitted to that, it was easy to figure out what was going on.

They think the reason I might have had my stroke was a side effect from Latuda used as a mood stabilizer for Bipolar. They took me off it immediately in the hospital. When I got out my psych wanted to put me back on it. It was in its beginning stages of testing so it did not have a warning for stroke yet. Of course I refused. It now has a warning for strokes and seizures. :ponder:

They think the reason I might have had my stroke was a side effect from Latuda used as a mood stabilizer for Bipolar. They took me off it immediately in the hospital. When I got out my psych wanted to put me back on it. It was in its beginning stages of testing so it did not have a warning for stroke yet. Of course I refused. It now has a warning for strokes and seizures. :ponder:

I was on Celabrex at the time which can cause strokes. They continued to give it to me while I was in the hospital and they blamed it on the Sudafed I had taken a few minutes before I had the stroke. I never believed that. At the time I thought it was caused by the Celabrex. They now think the stroke was probably caused by a small hole in my heart. The hole allowed a clot to pass through. I had the stroke at 54yo and only found out I had a hole in my heart at 58 yo.

I was on Celabrex at the time which can cause strokes. They continued to give it to me while I was in the hospital and they blamed it on the Sudafed I had taken a few minutes before I had the stroke. I never believed that. At the time I thought it was caused by the Celabrex. They now think the stroke was probably caused by a small hole in my heart. The hole allowed a clot to pass through. I had the stroke at 54yo and only found out I had a hole in my heart at 58 yo.

I had my stroke at 48you and will be 50 yo this month. They never looked at my heart until I just got a new nuerologist a few months back. He order several test on my heart to make sure it was ok. He is taking care of me for my stroke and epilepsy. Wonderful man. I wish I had had him first.

Mine was caused by cholesterol build up (also a s.e. of Latuda) in my neck that let blood clot then it released and went to my brain.

You are right,It really does sound like we have a lot in common. :agree:

I'll travel to the US if a neurologist can figure out why mine came out of the blue

did you bump your head on anything?
Food or other allergies? (yes, allergic reactions can be severe)

It was the fault of the daoc who delivered me.He used forceps on my head and my mother was in labor 72 hours dumb doc.I was born in 1961.I was diagnosed when I was 2 been having seizures since before I was 2.

Did I bump my head on anything? Yes I did. My Mother's ribs!
But no, no allergies.

Belinda -
What is it with docs that feel that the have to clamp down so hard and yank?
My MRI shows the damage.

Back
Top Bottom