Has anybody been told you were denying a seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Just "listening"

Sometimes keeping quiet and just reading I am seeing a lot and learning much. It seems sometimes I see the same post on different places on the forum, but they all seem good and quite helpful. Thank you.

I don't deny seizures as much as that I need to rest to prevent one from coming on - Carey many times says get off and give it a rest - you're tired - etc. I refuse, thinking I'm wonder woman or something and next thing I know, a seizure.

Thankfully mine are under BETTER control.

Some people seem to go a year without one and for me 1 month is an eon of time.

The links to other places are good here. Thanks.

It is a good thing to do one good thing for someone else just because.
It is a good thing to learn one new thing each day just because.

"Live and let live"
http://www.myspace.com/ziggidypoo

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember my seizures I won't deny them.
I had another Complex partial yesterday evening and friends kept me from going down and hurting myself.
my sz's just increasing more.

Belinda:ponder::e:

Yes, yes, yes. One time, when I was admitted to hospital status epilepticus, when I finally came out of it, the nurse came over to my bed with her little blood pressure machine and said, "Well, Stephanie, are you finally coming out of denial of your seizure disorder?" (I had flushed my medication down the toilet because of the side effects, and ended up in the ER status).

Denial. Right. Let that !@#! nurse deal with AED side effects, and see how she likes it!

I have complex partial seizures and sometimes my auras are so short I don't really have a warning. So after a shorter CP (45sec) or so, Rachel or my Sis are staring at me and asking me if I "went somewhere" (code for seizure) and I will say "No". But they both wait a minute and ask again and I understand that I've had due to the feeling I get after and confusion. Sometimes I think its self preservation kicking in when we say no- as if to hide the fact that something has happened.
Sometimes with my little ones i say "Its a seizure-attemp" becuase it was not a 2-3min CP.
Anyways Rachel or my Sis will say "You're lying, you had a seizure and you know it" in a playful way and it doesn't really bother me.
When I have an aura- then I usualy scury out of the living room and go to my room and rest. I would rather "seize in peace" than to have people worry or have people with me- but I do like for someone to let me know what's up afterwards.

Everyone take care-
Crystal

I can empathize with you Crystal11. When that happens to me, my husband says "You just had a seizure, didn't you?" When I say "No" he says "Don't try to lie yourself out of it. Don't you think know I know when you've had a seizure or not?"

When I talked to my doctor about this I told him I've had these seizures for over 45 years and still my husband treats me like this. He just shook his head. He says even when you are answering "No", you are in the post ictal state of the seizure and you actually can communicate with someone but still be in a confused state. Just two days ago I had one and was wringing my hands all over my lap and he told me I was having a seizure. I remember him saying that and the seizure stopped. But he still got so impatient.

It's almost like I'm doing something I should be ashamed of. You'd think after 45 years he'd have learned to accept this. He never will. He says he has, but I don't think so. I've told myself I've learned to live with his attitude, but secretly I don't think I ever will. Strangers treat me better.

Back
Top Bottom