Has anyone used will-power to stop a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I am wondering if anyone has managed to stop a seizure by some form of will power? I've heard of people who do it by, say, focusing on some other part of their body. (Like, focus on your left big toe & it'll go away.)

I know for myself my seizures start with a high pitched ringing in my right ear (probably where the trouble spot is, right temporal lobe). If I can distract myself, refuse to let it get to me, I can sometimes stop it in the nick of time. Also, I know that certain areas of my brain calm me down, especially in the back of my head. (Sort of like a mellow hum or buzz I sometimes get deep in meditation.) It somehow feels like a "safe zone".

This may be a bit heavy, but I am speculating whether there is a kind of "brain yoga" where one can control things like this. Body yoga focuses on consciously working finer muscles in different parts of the body. Could the same be done in the brain?

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

I've managed to do this on occasion for my less intense seizures. Whenever I feel a seizure approaching I take deep, calming breaths and try not to think about anything at all, except for my breathing.

I've managed to stop many seizures this way. It's definitely possible.

that sounds absurd to me, akin to staying awake for the remainder of your life through sheer willpower.

when I sense a ~slip~ the next thing I know I'm in a foreign world without most of my body function, and to find out later from someone that I'd been unconscious for a great length of time (~45 minutes this past Sunday), where to me it's almost like no time has passed, and then it takes any length of time to get back to "normal"
...although "normal" is a long-gone place I'm beginning to realize I'll never experience again

I used to be able to not 'stop' the seizure from happening but more or less, hold it off. This way I could pull to the side of the road. Anymore, I can't control it. If it starts to happen, it happens and there isn't anything I can do.

The odd time yes, through distraction. But it don't come easy. I try to get very 'upset' with it (simple partials) and tell it over and over in my head that it ain't gettin' me today. If I have enough fight in me and can concentrate on what I'm saying to myself enough sometimes it will work. However I'd say it's about as little as 8 per cent of the time, maybe less. It is possible though, and feels so good when you can do it.

i can do it on rare occasion, in the perfect environment, if i catch the aura early on, and if i am aware that i have been having seizures for awhile, like i have had several over the course of a few days, not just one sneaking up on me. I can sometimes tone it down. I am aware of a lot of my triggers, and can calm myself or distract myself .
but if i am already having them, then I will just see you in a while.

but even then, I will probably have the seizure later on anyway.

My ears tick. sound is so good since Ive been in my coma. I can hear every conversation in the room. But if I get a shrill feeling down my arms, or didn't get enough sleep.Or there is loud music.Like at Alex's graduation dance.I take my lorazepam with me. But if I get where it comes on real fast I sit down where ever I am. Tell who ever I am with what is happening do my best cover my best remember what my son and mother tell me. Breathe mom and I do It goes away.And I go home and rest.I have to teach Alex that as long as I am alive, Epilepsy is not going to get me. So I really have to believe it myself

Back
Top Bottom