Has anyone's libido actually increased?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Anewdawn

Reaction score
I was diagnosed with epilepsy (partial temp lobe) a few weeks or so ago. Looking back for years it seems like I was having many of the same symptoms as I am now, only to a more minor extent. I just started medication so I am not all the way to the therapeutic dosage yet (topamax). But I was curious about one thing in particular. Libido.

For awhile now I have had nearly zero sex drive. I could never figure out why and just blamed getting older, possible stress etc. But it's been an issue for both I and my husband. Luckily he doesn't show that it bothers him but I know it does. Personally it does bother me to an extent and I wish it was higher overall.

Alright so becoming educated on epilepsy has opened my eyes to so many symptoms that I have had for a very long time. It was very eye opening, and one of them included what I mentioned. With that being said has anyone had their sex drive increase or improve once their seizures were under control? Or is it always dire due to medications. I have the worry that it will be 100% gone, but then thought possibly if getting my brain settled helped and the medications hurt it at least would kind of balance out to avoid the 100% situation.

Experiences?

Unfortunately it seems its a common side effect with anti epileptic drugs.

Best start with seeing your GP, have a full blood test done, see if everything is as it should be.

I've had this issue also. My sex drive hasn't completely gone away, but there have been long periods with no desire.
I also think it has to do with the medication and seizures just tiring you out. By the way, Topamax was one of the worst meds I've taken

For me, sex is very uncomfortable thanks to these meds. My libido has totally gone away as well.

NO SEX DRIVE BUT THEN I DONT WANT ONE..when I was much younger I was put on epilim that stopped all sex drive but it known to I was much younger but had small sex drive then.
you could use kyj if painfull...HAVE YOU HAD any chest or heart operations on blood pressure pill they can all do it worse for man....SEE GP so many thing can cause that so blood test etc as others have said be good idea

My partner has the sex drive of a rabbit, unfortunately (for her) I don't share the same desire, I'll probably never get to experience "normality" thanks to being diagnosed at such an early age and having irepairable brain damage.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I too have the same problem as you. Very little desire for sex and not having seizures under control. I know part of mine is due to my age, 51, but not all of it as I used to have a very high drive until the last year r so when my seizures got worse and I just don't feel "right" a lot of the time. I wish I had some answers for you but if I find some myself I'll let you know.

Also as Truegrit said, Topamax is one of the worst meds. there is. Be very careful and aware of any major mood changes, especially suicidal thoughts. Not trying to scare you, just making you aware.

I totally get it. My drive has increased. It's a always been more than my girlfriend but she says that my drive goes way up for a few days before a seizure. She, and now I, watch for that. But this sounds so stupid to say because it's not studied or provable. That is not always the case so...

I am sure my husband probably wishes that I had a greater libido. I often have sex just to please him, and need to use lubricants most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom