Has Your Doctor Received Drug Company Money?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nakamova

Super Moderator / Thank You Queen
Reaction score
The site below provides a database for searching a doctor's name and finding what kinds of payments they've received from a drug company or medical device maker.
https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

I looked up my neuro. He only received a few hundred, and none related to the medication I take. The payments mostly came in the form of free lunches (probably at recertification conventions), so I think he's not very likely to have been unduly influenced.

Such payments can affect what the docs prescribe. See:
https://www.propublica.org/article/...-cash-tend-to-prescribe-more-brand-name-drugs

$2662.00

$12 on Lamictal. Most was spent on food and beverage.

Very interesting, I'm glad you posted this.

There must be a policy against this at my daughter's hospital (CHOP) because I cannot find ANY payments to her neurologist, or to any of the fellows or attendings she has seen there. That makes me feel pretty good! Our primary care doctor has also not received any.

Thanks for putting this out there!

They only recently added teaching hospitals to lists of docs they had (think earlier list was docs accept medicare, and maybe medicaid?) so expect there are docs not covered by this list so far. I put in our local children's hospital, which is part of a bigger university group, saw various donations of equipment. To be sure you'd have to search on possibly multiple hospitals if the doc is a university prof who might be at different hospitals.

Well, I did see another well-known doctor at a large teaching hospital in the area on the list, so I know that some of those larger research institutions are listed there. And I searched by our doctors' names not by hospital.

The epileptologist I now see received $160.00

However, the one I used to see when I lived in Memphis (she moved back to Boston) received $31,869.00!! And she used to be on the National Board of the Epilepsy Foundation.

BOTH are also professors at University Hospitals!!

Last edited:
My Neuro Isn't Too Bad

When I looked up my neuro, I saw that he had received atotal of $205 from two companies in six payments.
Another doctor on that same page received over $31,000!
I guess mine isn't too money hungry!

ACsHuman

Now I know why my neuro is always trying to get me on another drug when she's getting over $500.00 for each prescription she writes up. I've told her no a few times and now she no longer wants to see me, I guess money means more to her than a persons health.
Thanks for sharing this site it's really great! Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

The site below provides a database for searching a doctor's name and finding what kinds of payments they've received from a drug company or medical device maker.
https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

I looked up my neuro. He only received a few hundred, and none related to the medication I take. The payments mostly came in the form of free lunches (probably at recertification conventions), so I think he's not very likely to have been unduly influenced.

Such payments can affect what the docs prescribe. See:
https://www.propublica.org/article/...-cash-tend-to-prescribe-more-brand-name-drugs

Good on you for thinking laterally....:clap:

I finally looked up my neurologist and he received a total of $850.00

Damn. Stacy's current doc:
Payments: At a Glance

283 payments >> $135,140 payment total

~~~

Drugs & Devices

Totals listed below account for all payments that mention this product. If a payment record mentions more than one product, the entire value will be included in each of those products.

APTIOM - $63,611
ONFI - $55,378

Guess what meds he's currently prescribed for her? :paperbag:

Damn. Stacy's current doc:

Guess what meds he's currently prescribed for her? :paperbag:

Wow, I was pretty shocked at my epileptologist's $27,309 until I read this.

14.7K of that 27K came in the form of "honoraria" and education, and almost 20K of that was from Cyberonics for VNS, Guess he's consulting and training others on it? If he ever suggests another treatment for me, wonder what it might be? ;)

After that, he got almost 3000 from UCB for Vimpat, and guess which drug he added on a few years ago?

Thanks, Nak, for sharing.

You really have to question the integrity of these doctors on the take.
I was only joking about my dr's $6 payment but some of these dr's getting thousands, tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands of dollars is sickening.
I would never trust the advice of one of these dr's.

I want a dr in it for the patients not the medical/ pharmaceutical industry kick backs.

My neuro got $216 in food and beverage from Cyberonics, the company that makes VNS. I'm not really surprised about this though because the VNS is what he specializes in.

He got about $115 the drug company who makes Vimpat for Promotional Speaking/Other. 'Payments made to physicians for training, speaking and education engagements that are not for continuing education'. I'm not sure if he was the one doing the speaking or if he went to some type of seminar to hear about the drug?

$2662.00

$12 on Lamictal. Most was spent on food and beverage.

Very interesting, I'm glad you posted this.

I'm seeing a new neurologist tomorrow and was curious. She has a total of $785.

What a difference!

Back
Top Bottom