Have you ever fainted?

Have you ever fainted (unrelated to seizures)?

• Yes

Votes: 58 63.7%
  • No

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Almost

Votes: 11 12.1%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
There are only 3 options *yes, no, almost* and you can elaborate from there.

I am specifically asking non-seizure wise. sight of blood, heights, excercise, fear of muffins... anything that lead to a fainting.

I ask because I want to see how really vulnerable the mind and body is of someone with E. I just read somewhere *Darn me and forgetting to book mark* that people with neurological conditions are particularly suspetible to over-reactions which cause fainting. That we have less control over our bodies fainting than someone without E.

What are your thoughts.

EDIT: Why is there no poll option?? Where is commisioner Gordon and the Mod-light when I need him?

Last edited:
Thanks Moderator!

Okay, so I answered yes, I have fainted. several times and it wont be the last. blood and heights are my big 2.

I ask because I want to see how really vulnerable the mind and body is of someone with E. I just read somewhere *Darn me and forgetting to book mark* that people with neurological conditions are particularly susceptible to over-reactions which cause fainting. That we have less control over our bodies fainting than someone without E.

What are your thoughts.

I honestly believe that the things that cause people to faint like anxiety, hyperventilation, increased heart rate etc. are more likely to trigger a seizure before we faint.

EDIT: You're welcome. Commisioner Gordon at your service

Tee Hee. I loved the classic TV commisioner Gordon!

I agree that things like that would trigger a seizure before fainting. But I have just dropped cold from the sight of blood. no warning really. just down. or the only warning I give is a vomit.

I have fainted twice in my life. Both times I had a massive infection and didn't know I was sick. Kept going through feeling really crappy until my body gave me a message I couldn't ignore - out cold on the floor.

Ok I said maybe, but now that Ive read the whole question I must answer no. How can I change my vote? :roflmao:

Many times I feel I get close- like getting out of a hot bath or shower. Or while over-doing it with exercise. Sometimes getting up too fast can cause me to get dizzy, feel very weird like I am going to faint.

Some heights...vertigo sets in and I have to plop my butt down with my head between my legs. I'm okay up to about 15 ft then the bottom falls out...ugh :(

Ahh fainting my second "favorite" pass time!:pfft:
I have passed out/fainted due to needles, dehydration, lack of food, alcohol poisoning (before the E), heights, extreme stress, and couple of other fun things. I've been picking myself up off the floor long before E started joining in :roflmao:

I've come close from exhaustion before, but i don't think i've ever actually fainted.

Blood and heights and stuff don't affect me. I can even watch while a nurse gives me a jab/takes blood. I suppose that's why they find it weird when i absolutely refuse to have a plaster (band-aid) put on afterwards cos i'm terrified of sticky things lol.

The only time i ever get something like vertigo is when i LOOK UP at really tall buildings and stuff. Actually being up high, i like cos i can see everything.

I have fainted due to high heat or being over heated. I got sunstroke as well and it made me so so sick. I fainted at the end of a street, then got up and had to make my way home which was far away in the back of my neighborhood.. no good.

Also, I passed out after getting a concusion from falling off of a high beam on a playground.
I was so STUPID and decided "I'll try to stand upside down on this bar and then flip over and land on my feet."
Well this bar that I was trying to hand on to, was the ones with the metal chain that had a metal loop at the end- for you to hold on to. They use it in the olympics- just don't know what they are called.
So, with one in each hand, I started going back and forth until I was able to put my feet on the bar- which is supposed to be above your head. Once my feet were on it- thats all I remember.
My twin came over to me and said I was dead and smiling at the same time. It didn't make any sence to me- how totally unconcious, me being able to smile. I was so out of it that I was sick for three days- not being able to eat- nothing.
There was a parent there who was a nurse and she was there with me until I woke up. boy... I never felt such wonderful sleepy feeling in my life. I just wanted to lay there forever, sleeping. That is where the danger is though- could go into a coma if something worse happens or a complication.

I fell a few other times and those resulted in concusions as well- where I was gone for a little bit and woke up eventually.

Fainting or concusions are no fun at all. Its strange how our bodies protect us even if we don't like it.
When I got over heated, my body was trying to force itself to lay down- get the blood flow up again and circulation good. I guess my blood pressure was too high- not real sure though.

Take care everyone

maybe both?

the jury is till out for me so i voted yes & no.
hope that doesn't sound stupid.

i have been 'fainting' since i was about 15 every year or so. the first time i did i convulsed in my dad's arms for about 30 seconds or something. the dr said that's just how some people faint. i never followed it any further but is the only time anyone commented that i convulsed.

now i have been diagnosed with e the drs are saying i am not fainting but having seizures - apparently i shouldn't faint mutiple times a day nor require massive amounts of sleep to recover from fainting, and instead of taking a long time to build up it should hit me suddenly. epilim worked a treat for the seizures but not so good for side effects.

then tried keppra and the 'fainty' feeling came back and intensified as the dosage was increased. so while weaning off that i was sent for a tilt table test to try and make me pass out. although my bp dropped dramatically after they dosed me some angina spray thing i didn't pass out but felt well quite lousy as you can imagine. test was therefore inconclusive. i think it was the keppra. i am coming off the keppra now because it is messing me up also and now i am doing better. but when i asked the neuro what she thought she said maybe i have two things going on but the aeds are working for me to control the seizures - so now i am testing out lamictal and doing great so far.

Back
Top Bottom