Have you guys ever argued with the paramedics after having a seizure? xD

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KatieJay

New
Reaction score
I do it all the time. The most recent one threatened to call the police on me.. o.o its still fun to argue with paramedics, though. And you can blame it on being post-ictal!

They said I argued with the paramedics AND the police on one occasion, but I don't remember any of it. It definitely was post-ictal.

It's actually kinda funny, because I just passed out afterwards and mom told me about it later that day.

yup, almost every time, saw one riding my bike

my Son has, nearly burst out of ambulance to have a ciggie :)

for some reason, i can't comprehend blood when i'm post-ictal, so i'll be there getting frustrated and telling them it's best for everyone to just drop me at home on the way to a&e- without even realising i'm spraying it everwhere..

tbh i'm usually as nice as i can be to the paras- tho i have been known to just look at them snarky and shake my head in exasperation when they're asking the dumb questions and i haven't got speech back yet lol

Last edited:
Must agree with SlimBlue on this one,usually i just tell them i've got epilepsy and just drop me off at the nearest bus stop so i can get home,because all i really ache for(pardon the pun) is to get home and crawl into bed to sleep it off.

this isn't a paramedic argument its a ER argument I was in the ER 2 weeks ago. The er doc ordered a CT Scan because I had a seizure on the way to the hospital. As they were getting ready to take me I told them I know I have Epilepsy and nothing has changed since my last CT scan 20 years ago. They all looked at me like I had a third eye ball. Finally the Doctor came and said we realize you have epilepsy we just want to make sure there isn't a bleed in the brain. I didn't fall. Its our health care system at work. Ordering worthless procedures. The doctor probably had to make a quota for ct scans that month :)

After damage during a seizure, my shoulder would slip out of place all time, just by my reaching behind me. I'd go to the ER to get the shoulder put back in place, and they'd insist on doing an x-ray to see if there was trauma to the shoulder -- even though I knew there wasn't. I had to really yell at them to keep them from doing the x-ray (and charging me for the unnecessary service).

I don't argue with I just refuse treatment. Unless I have hurt myself I.E Bleeding or have some other issue necessary to go to the ER

Yes! I had a seizures years ago when i visited Chicago, I refused service and they STILL tried to charge me for an ambulance trip. It got pretty nasty. I told them I wasn't going to pay for a trip when I didn't step foot in their ambulance. They turned it over to bill collectors, etc.

What's really fun your daughter is there. The paramedics work under her Dad (my ex.) I have a pretty good size gash on the side of my head. They tell her I need to go and I say no. So she calls her dad....

I work at a place big enough to have there own medics and DR. In April I had to sign AMA papers so a friend could take me home. They wanted me to go to ER. May didn't have it in me to argue so I went. A big waste of time and money. Plus because the ER DR put on my papers to return in 2 days, it cost me 2 days of vacation of which I am trying to save for my first grandbaby to be born the first of October.

with paramedics work mates friends bosses etc etc list goes on about everything i do you need to come to a/e um no i need to go home and sleep you need to be checked out no i am fine you can not work today you look shaky no you need to worry only if i hit the deck im concerned if you were to have a seizure at this time no your concerned what customers will say you cant ride that moped (looks like a chopper) no i can ride it just the same if it was a push bike with a motor and i dont ride when i get an aura.....

Only two ambulance and paramedics visiting and trip to hospital with me. Once, I briefly remember being in the ambulance, but no further than that... remember nothing about paramedics nor even what it looks like inside the ambulance. The other time I only here it from others and they say I was talking away but none of my words meant anything, they were another worlds speech.

So I guess my answer here is no, I do not think I argued with the paramedics :)

Small world...

My first seizure of this year, I had a full blown argument with the Paramedics, trying to understand why they wanted to take me to the hospital, screaming at them, "I'm fine, I don't need to go to the hospital, what happened?"

I had several family members with me, screaming at me, "Go to the hospital!"

But I didn't budge, I felt I was fine and didn't go, until I crashed my car two days later, because I had a seizure while driving, then I went to the hospital....but that was probably because I didn't regain consciousness until I was on the stretcher in the back of the ambulance.

Haha...on many occasions when they start asking those questions what day is it..who's the president...I flip out HELLO my brain I just had A SEIZURE I'm lucky I know I'm in an ambulance ...that's why it urks me and I've made it VERY clear to everyone close to me that unless my seizure is longer then 5 mins or I've injured myself DO NOT call 911 as it just adds stress to an already stressful scenerio

The main thing is, people need to learn that they HAVE TO REMAIN CALM towards you! There were a few times EMT's were yelling at me & that only made things worse!
There was a time I had one at college in the parking lot, and if the school nurse wouldn't have been there telling the cop "Don't do that! Relax, you're going to get her agitated!" He was getting so demanding & loud (he apparently was 1 of these "let the badge go to his head" style cops) that if she hadn't been there telling him to settle down, I no doubt would've wound up explaining to the D.A. that I had no idea what I was doing when I took a swing at him! We need to do MUCH MUCH MUCH more to educate law enforcement on this stuff in this Country!

I've nearly punched two medics over the oxygen nose hookup. They know me now, so they know when to duck lol

Yes! The a-hole decided my neck would be a good place for the IV to go for no reason. My er nurse had a chat with him.

Back
Top Bottom