Have you guys ever argued with the paramedics after having a seizure? xD

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I once tried to start a fight with them on the way to hospital because i needed to put my bins out...when it wasnt even bin night (so im told!)

Never ever argued with paramedics. I told them calmly what I expected. Over time we recognized each other, and respected each others role. I even took them cookies after the 4 yrs of them coming to Rebecca's HS.
They allowed me to sign waivers, and I took their advice when they felt she needed to be transferred to ER.

My wife told me that the last time I had a tonic clonic seizure (it was in March of 2012. I was at home and it was my first tc in about 30 years) I apparently was struggling with the paramedics, pushing them away, trying not to let them get an IV line into my arm. I have no memory at all of that. I remember that I was doing stretching exercises and watching TV, and the next thing I knew I was in an ambulance. I'm sure a lot of you can relate. In my "non-seizury" state I have no fear at all of needles or IVs so I don't know why I was fighting so much.

Been very lucky have generally had awesome paramedics who I would unfortunately terrify asking them to look for my baby. Even when he was 7 and at school. Doh! Most knew me by name and would dawdle to wait for a call cancel.

When I got stuck on the bus (don't ask) an ambulance was called and they stayed until I got released. I thought I would end up at hospital they asked me what I wanted and I said I really just wanted to go home as I was ok and they had got hold of someone at home they dropped me off.

I have had only one dodgy experience that was due to falsifying records but put in a complaint and it was handled fantastically.

Q

Yes the last time I went down August18 and some moron called 911after I came out of my seizure .I didn't go to the e/R my forehead was bleeding big deal.I argued with them 20-30 minutes about not going to the hospital.Just because I was bleeding I should go and I lived 5 minute walk away, and I walked home.woman who called 911 never showed me were my purse was someone stole my phone out of my purse.my purse was turned into my apt complex.

Belinda

Wow! I only refused to go to hospital once. Luckily, the guys didn't argue with me. But later that day my kids did drive 60 miles to take me to hospital. This was right after my husband died. Oh yeah, it was Christmas eve. My husband had died on Thanksgiving day. Needless to say, the holidays are difficult for me.

yes really hot day i come round wanted to go the ambulance in town stationary for over hour cos they getting another patient they refused give me some water i was dying of heat and head ache i got up walked off got cab home they not pleased but i did not call them or want them

Yes, it happened to me on the bus as well. All of a sudden I 'come back' and I'm sitting on the tail gate of an ambulance talking to the E.M.T.'s. Now, for some reason, I get really agitated after a seizure. The people were asking me the most simple questions; like my name and my birthday and what day it was. I told them, "Look, I know the President is coming to town next week. I know where I am and I'd like you to let me go now." For some reason, I just didn't feel like going through their list of questions that make me feel like an idiot. I realize they're just doing their jobs, but it's super frustrating to be on your way home from work and get interrupted by some public display that you weren't even there for. I like this thread because I totally get it and I wanted to respond to this one because of the bus. Thanks for reading!

The last time it happened I was in a restaurant. They came to talk to me and I told them I did not want to go to the E.R. They had to call the on-call doctor and okay it for me to stay where I was. I thought that was weird since it's supposed to be up to me. They had me sign this iPad-looking thing to say I was refusing medical attention. Technology is really advancing!

I've only been in an ambulance once, a VERY long time ago. I did leave the ER AMA a few years ago, and last week, I refused an IV. The nurse looked at me like I was crazy. I don't NEED an IV, I just need to get my head wound closed! The doc decided I needed to have blood work done and went on to tell me that I had a seizure (no kidding?!). I'm sure I'll get a nice bill for all that lab work.

My last EMT trip there was a trainee in the ambulance. I was refusing treatment and he decided to rush me and try and pin me to the gurney and strap me down. I grabbed his right ear with my left hand and landed the most beautiful right hand that I've ever thrown while he was on the way in. The paramedic spent the next while beside me in the ER. Good times.

Back
Top Bottom