Having my memory jogged

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I had 2 days of bad seizures on 3/13 and 3/16. I lost a good bit of memory after them - just like usual when they are bad ones.

My mom was going to take my sister in-law to get her covid shot on 3/18 and I asked my parents when I was getting mine. They told me that I'd already gotten mine on 3/5, I didn't remember getting it. When my dad said "Don't you remember waiting in that long line of traffic to get into the building?" That's when things started to come back about getting the shot.

Not everything though that'd happened in the few weeks before the seizures has come back. It isn't in the right order either.

I'm reading a book and watching a tv show series. I do remember some of what's going on in them, not a whole lot. But the more I'm reading an watching I am sort of remembering. I don't remember my boyfriend's birthday at all, which was was on 3/17. I do remember who he is, which everyone is glad about because I totally forgot who my boyfriend was after my very first seizure.

I'm having problems with my cell phone but I don't know what's wrong with it. I'm using a loaner from the company right now. My mom really didn't know what the problems were either when I asked her. Luckily today I found a paper with a list of everything that's wrong. I'm glad I take notes.

I don't think I've ever had my short term memory, if that's what it would be called, come back. Has anything like this ever happened to anyone?

I’m pretty sure I just forget the space of time during the seizure. It depends on how long the seizure is or the type as to how much I forget.

I know it’s all part of the seizures but sometimes the not remembering is more frustrating then the seizure itself

After bad seizures (especially two so close to one another) it can sometimes take a bit longer for memories to come back. It might help to write down what people are telling you happened, and make a kind of timeline. Your brain might then be able to fill in some of the details.

After one seizure I thought my laptop had been stolen, and I think it took several days before I figured out what really happened. (I'd taken it to get repaired a few days before the seizure.) A friend of mine said that I'd mentioned the faulty laptop in a phone conversation with her, and that jogged my memory just enough...

Hi valeriedl,

I'm sorry to hear that you had seizures they often cause me to forget what has happened and depending on how bad the seizure
was it may take me a couple of minutes to remember things or sometimes longer.

My Epileptologist and neurosurgeon told me to stay off the cell phone because if I use it to much it will mess up the hippocampus
causing memory loss and I've already had my right hippocampus removed. I was told to do a lot of math and that would better
my short term memory along with doing brain teasers which are problems that are so simple they are hard. If you want to do some
just go online and type in brain teasers and you will find many. I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

After one seizure I thought my laptop had been stolen, and I think it took several days before I figured out what really happened. (I'd taken it to get repaired a few days before the seizure.) A friend of mine said that I'd mentioned the faulty laptop in a phone conversation with her, and that jogged my memory just enough...
I’m pretty sure I mentioned this before but I lost a good part of the day after 2 seizures

#1= 2002 When the seizures returned after 21 years I don’t remember anything from getting up that morning to waking up in hospital with my Mum next to me then I was a bit out of it fir the next few days. I needed my mum and my neighbour to fill in the blanks. My neighbour was older and would often recall her side of how they found me and as she got older the story changed, but I knew the actual story from mum

#2 = 2008 I was heading off to do voluntary work. I don’t remember anything from 9am when I left home to 12pm when I woke in hospital. The nurses filled me in on how someone saw me, saw my medic alert bracelet.So they were able to see I have epilepsy, call for ambulance and the hospital could get my info from medic alert foundation. But there as still an hour missing from when I left home to when I was found.

I try to keep a little diary in a weekly planner calendar. I don't go into real detail, unless it needs to be, just the basics of what I did that day or something that I should remember in general. When I look back through it there are things that I remember and things I don't. I keep track of my seizures and any descriptions of them that I need to know.

I try to keep good detailed notes of things that are important things in a tablet or on the computer.

After these last few bad seizures I saw that I had a loaner cell phone that I was using. I had no clue why. I asked my mom and she told me that mine was broke and I'd sent it in to be repaired. I'm having a ton of problems with getting it fixed and when I was looking through things I saw that I'd wrote down every time I'd talked to someone about the problems and what was done and when. This has been helping me a good bit.

Back
Top Bottom