Help me explain this...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

englishp

New
Reaction score
I'm heartbroken! My six year old son Griffin had another seizure last night. We'd been 2 1/2 months seizure free and were hoping for forever :) He plays football in the fall and this year would have been his first year to move up from flag to tackle. His pedia neuro says no contact sports until seizure free for 6 months. Football season will be done by then. I could just cry for him! How do I explain it to Griffin? I really don't know why he can't play...why do they tell him to wait 6 months?

How do I explain it to Griffin? I really don't know why he can't play...why do they tell him to wait 6 months?

I'm sorry Griffin had another seizure, but maybe with him taking a break from playing ball, the seizures will be under control by then. Sometimes, unfortunately, it takes a while and finding different medications to control seizures. If he were to have a seizure on the football field, he could be at a higher risk of injury.

From www.epilepsy.com

Contact Sports

The principal concern with contact sports is the chance of injury to the head or body, but people with epilepsy are not necessarily more likely to be hurt than other people. If an absence or complex partial seizure occurred during a game, there is a small chance of injury if someone were to tackle the person, for instance, during the spell. Tackle football, rugby, and ice hockey have a higher incidence of injuries than most other sports and participation in them should probably be limited to those with well-controlled seizures. There is nothing wrong, however, with a person who has occasional or even frequent seizures playing touch football in the back yard. The risks must be weighed against the benefits of the sport. The chances of serious injury are small compared with the positive effects of team participation.

Thanks Clint...it just seems funny that they would be concerned with 6-7 year olds tackling...its really more like tripping and falling isn't it? I guess we can just do fall baseball. He is really athletic and won't like not playing something...

Back
Top Bottom