Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

occb

New
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this, because we've discovered that Rooibos tea is particularly effective in helping my partner's nausea. Rooibos doesn't interact with his meds, and may even help with the sporadic muscle spasms he has in the evening. We're putting it to the test tonight. He's been dreading bedtime, because he's been twitching all day, and that usually means a restless night (I'll let you know how it goes).

I figured maybe we could have a thread about this, since I haven't seen one yet: do you have any safe, effective and legal herbs (the illegal one already has its own thread ;)) you can recommend, that help you?

Thanks for the post Bernard -- interesting info. I'll have to listen to the radio show in a little bit.

I was surprised to see Ginko Biloba listed on Epilepsy Ontario -- the reference my local health food store uses says it's a no-no if you're on anti-convulsants, or anti-depressants (my partner is on both). I suppose they're recommending it in lieu of meds? Does anyone take this despite the warning?

The rooibos tea, bye the way, calmed his twitchiness down, and he didn't sleep too roughly last night, so yay!

According to my book "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by Phyllis A. Balch,
Black Cohosh, Hyssop & Lobelia all have a calming effect on the Central Nervous System & are thus good for lessening seizures. It says to alternate them for best result gives a Caution about using Black Cohosh during pregnancy.
It also says Alfalfa is a good source of needed minerals.

From personal experience, I've tried the 3 herbs suggested for E & there might have been a good effect. I was having more seizures than normal for a couple of days & they lessened back to normal (about 1 a day) when I started the herbs. I can't say definitively whether it was the herbs or not but I"m glad they lessened.

I've also found Valerian & Catnip to help by giving me deeper sleep.

Also.....

My book says that the herb Sage should be avoided by those with seizures.

Interesting -- Black cohosh has no known drug interactions according to the database at the health food store, but lobelia apparently is contraindicated with anti-depressants.

Hyssop isn't even listed on there. I'll have to look into that one further.

Thanks you for the info Epileric!

My book says no rosemary, one of my favorite herbs. :ponder:

I've only read about rosemary being contraindicated for seizures in aromatherapy books but I always used to have a seizure within a short time of eating at this specific restaurant. I always had lots of their bread because it was so good. I later found out it was rosemary that made it that way. & yes... the seizures did stop when I stopped having their bread.

I recently read that Bacopa is a good herb for reducing seizures and the memory issues that can go along with AEDs.

That is interesting about the rosemary - I had not heard that before. Thanks for sharing that.
Isn't rooibos lovely stuff? I had never noticed that it helped with seizures, but it sure speeds recovery of a virus. And my kids will drink it.

Just came across this article

The consumption of popular Chinese herbal products containing aristolochic acid is associated with an increased risk of urinary tract cancer, a study in Taiwan has found.

Aristolochic acid, known as Mu Tong in Chinese, is found naturally in some herbs that are used in Chinese herbal products to treat hepatitis, urinary tract infection, rhinitis, dysmenorrhea and eczema.

http://www.nationalpost.com/life/health/story.html?id=2368164

It might be an idea to see if an herb contains aristolochic acid before over-indulging in it.

I'm going

have to try that rooibos tea you're all talking about. I've had some twitching going on, and I'd rather not increase the meds I'm already on. I use some herbal teas already anyway but adding that to my repertoire certainly won't hurt!!! Thanks for the info.... :bigsmile:

Meetz -- not everybody likes the taste or smell of rooibos, so maybe buy a little at first. My partner didn't like it the first time he tried it, but by the second time he was getting used to it. There are varieties of Rooibos tea with vanilla added, which are very nice.

Also, because there isn't much in the way of tannins in there, you can brew it much longer than regular tea without any bitterness. It should be brewed for at least 5 minutes (although 10 is better), to release all the anti-oxidant qualities of the tea. You can make half a cup and top the rest with hot water if the flavour is too strong.

/OCD tea-making discussion :lol:

Just my experience, NO Saint John's wart.

I was on a med that was taking my hair out, I used Silica, good stuff, it helps hair, it comes in shampoo and conditioner or a vitamin.

Just my 2 cents :)

Billy. :twocents:

occb - I'm quite surprised. I think it smells like fruity berries. But you are right. As with anything, start off slowly.

Billyboyboo - What happened with the St. John's wort? It didn't really do anything for me one way or another.

I have an interest in exploring different herbs but read that they can be dangerous when interacting with medications. Does anyone have a take on this?

Holistic practitioners and medical doctors are known for butting heads.

From what I read about Bacopa, it is supposed to decrease seizure activity while helping the brain to resist the mental decline that can happen with AEDs.

I don't have any articles to site, but I did a search a few weeks ago and found some good information.

If you learn more about it let us know. This sounds promising. It also looks like Western (allopathic) medicine is looking into bacopa. And having a better memory, which it is purported to facilitate, would make my life easier.

But it is so frustrating. I am sure we have all tried so many combos of meds/supplements/lifestyle changes, what's one more?

I have an interest in exploring different herbs but read that they can be dangerous when interacting with medications. Does anyone have a take on this?

Holistic practitioners and medical doctors are known for butting heads.

You have to be very careful with taking herbs, and always consult a reliable source or an trustworthy herbalist before you do. Herbs can interact with meds, or may worsen underlying health conditions (For example, few people know that individuals with asthma should not take Echinacea because it could cause a serious asthma attack). I use the reference room guide for a local health food store for help, and so far, so good. It's very detailed, and if I have any doubts, I go in and ask.

Here's the link to the resource I use: http://www.amaranthfoods.ca/common/adam/index.asp?storeID=BAD78B68AD4D4DEC8E2E90CB59321350

occb - I'm quite surprised. I think it smells like fruity berries. But you are right. As with anything, start off slowly.

My mom hates the taste, and my co-worker gags at the smell of it :lol: Funny that you think it smells like fruity berries, because lately it's been smelling like chocolate to me. Huh.

Back
Top Bottom