HERO Stories

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BuckeyeFan

Grandpa
Reaction score
Hero Stories

First, I wish to thank all of the caregivers on this site who are someone’s Hero in the fight against epilepsy. As most of you know, I think the world of you.

I would like to start a thread for those of us with epilepsy who have a Hero in our lives. A brief ‘Thanks’ is more than welcome or you may write your story about your Hero.

Either way, we are all blessed to have these people who have helped us in some way in our struggle against epilepsy.

:e:

My wife, My Hero

I would not be typing this today if it were not for my wife saving my life, TWICE. The first tonic-clonic seizure that I had was in the bath. Not a good place to pass out. My wife was in the kitchen and heard me making gagging noises. At first, she just called to see if I was OK, then she decided to check on me and found me in a full blown seizure. She was only 19 and I was 20, but she reacted quickly pulling me part way out of the bath and then ran to call 911. She had no idea what was wrong, only that her husband was turning blue.

I know she had to be scared out of her wits, but it sounds like she did everything right until the EMS arrived. She kept checking on our 20 month old daughter until the neighbors (he was on the Fire Dept and heard the page) came over to help with me and the baby. At the time, I was one of their newest members and here were people that I trained with treating me. My first clear recollection was seeing one of my fellow EMTs upside down. She was sitting in the jump seat at the head of the cot in the ambulance treating me. So my view of her was upside down.

It sounded like I had at least two seizures at the time and spent the next six days in the hospital being diagnosed. It never sank in at the time, but she had to go through hell that week not knowing what was wrong with me and being a 19 year old Mom. I was pretty dense back then and never thought about how it impacted her.

That was the first time and she helped me through many seizures over the next several years.

The SECOND time she saved my life was no doubt that I would have died without her. I had not had a seizure in over a year and was on vacation from work. We got a sitter and decided to go canoeing which she had never done before. I was good at it and the river was an easy river to canoe, so off we went to the canoe livery. We rented our canoe and set off on a beautiful June afternoon.

After awhile we came to a shallow area of the river with several small islands and sand bars. We decided to stop for a snack and were wading around the islands. I was hit by a tonic-clonic seizure and was out. Luckily, I fell on the gravel and she just held me and waited for me to recover, which I eventually did. The problem was that we were probably about 1-2 miles from the next road and help.

So after a little more recovery time, we put on the flimsy life jackets that they had provided and set off in the canoe trying to reach the next road. I rarely had back to back seizures and I thought I would be OK. Well, it started off OK and we were making good time. Then it all went to hell. I started having a strong aura and knew I was going to seize again. My seziures pull my head to the left and all I thought was I need to get to the bank of the river. My wife told me she tried to get me to stay in the canoe, but I didn’t understand and went into the water. She jumped out and held me up as I was then in a full seizure. The water was up to her shoulders at first, but she was able to get me into water that was just over her waist. As I continued to seize, the canoe floated down stream and all she could do was hold my head up and scream for help. I don’t remember anything after seeing the river bank and trying to reach it. She couldn’t get to the bank while holding me up (I was twice her size) and so she SCREAMED for help. She has no idea how long this was, but it seemed like an eternity to her.

She got to the point where she was struggling with the thought of letting go and trying to go find help. Finally, a farmer on a tractor in a nearby field (that is how loud she was screaming) heard her. He later told us he was used to hearing canoers down by the river, but something told him this was different. He came down to see if something was wrong and found us. He helped her get me into more shallow water and then went to find the canoe. He was a big man and lifted me into the canoe like I weighed nothing (I did remember that later). He helped her to a point where we could get out of the river and went to get his truck.

By that time, some other canoers came by and started to help as well. They got us back to the canoe livery and called the EMS. I had another smaller seizure during that time. When we got to the hospital, they had to treat me for hypothermia as well. Even though it was a warm day, the river water was cool, and with all the energy I lost during the seizures, I lost a lot of body heat. I was so cold, my head hurt like hell, and I felt like I swallowed half of the river. That was the start of a three day stay in the hospital. As they wheeled me into my room, I told them I felt sick and preceded to empty all of the river water I swallowed into the trash can the nurse had quickly grabbed.

So that is my story. I can honestly say that I would not be typing this without her. I think I was 29 at the time of the canoeing seizure. Don’t get me wrong, we have had some bitter arguments over the years, just like most couples I suppose. However, I will always be thankful to her for saving my life, TWICE.

:rock: I love you Megs! :rock:

Dale,

I loved hearing about your Hero..your wife! You can tell how much you love her and how much she loves you in return. You were young lovers like my husband and I . We met when I was 16 and he was 17. We had a long distance romance when he went away for college. Then we married when I was 21 and he was 22. We were pretty much babies! : )) I love him more today than I could even tell you. Through thick and thin..we just were meant for each other. And I love that we were sweethearts when we were young. We did date other people here and there earlier..but we just knew when we got together. And we have 2 wonderful children!! Besides my husband..my Mom that recently died is my hero. She raised us 7 children (along with our Dad) and taught us all so much. To love, to be strong, caring, and to love life. She was such a beautiful example of a loving Mom and such an example to follow. She gave us all our strong faith in God also. She was also very funny. I have so many wonderful memories. It makes me happy, because she lived her whole life this way..and at the end..she suffered terribly and never even complained. Then she died peacefully. That's my Mom.

Michelle

A tribute to a few very special caregivers in my boy's special needs day care center.

We are your Garden

We are your garden you tend
to each day.
Seeds of respect, self worth, responsibility
you have planted.
You watch over us, shelter us, help us
to grow strong.
Each of you guide us in your own
special way,
To meet the goals that so many
take for granted.
Thank you, my gardener, for
helping us along.

(Written by Theresa Zink)

I am.........the teacher
By Michelle Guppy, August 2000

I am the teacher your child will meet on the first day of school. I know what you will be thinking on that first day. -As you reluctantly put your child on that bus, you will be nervous and apprehensive wondering what it will be like for your child at school. Will he be lost in the shuffle? Will the teacher be nice? - Will she like him? Will the other kids make fun of him? Will she do a good job? ---But don't worry, I am his teacher, and I am ready to begin...

When your child gets off the bus at school, unsure what will happen next, I will be there. I will have a smile on my face so that even if your child doesn't realize where he is, and why he is here, ---he will know it is a friendly place. A happy place. He will see the inviting decorations and feel reassured that he is not in a mean place.

I will take your child's hand and guide him to where he needs to go, to the seat I have specially marked with his name. I will spend a few minutes helping him to transition to his new environment, and perhaps wipe away a tear.

When we all get settled down to start our day, I will look around at my classroom and all the faces, and be reminded that every child is a different color - each one very unique. I will view my students as a new box of crayons just opened. Each one so bright and shiny. Each one so eager to be picked.

When it's time to do our lesson and I get discouraged that your child doesn't want to participate or do what he must - I will not give up. I will have patience as we do each simple task over and over, -- and I'll remember that I get coffee breaks, I go home at the end of the day, I get paid vacations - you don't.

When it's time for art, I will put my hand over your child's hand, dipping his fingers in the paint, and showing him what happens when you rub the paint along a plain piece of paper. Oh, I realize your child might care less and might resist at the feeling of the paint on his fingers - but we will do it and I will give him encouragement to keep on. We will use our imagination in deciding what it might be he has painted. So when you get a crumpled piece of paper with perhaps only a few blobs of color on it, know that I saw the masterpiece that your child is.

When we get out our scissors and glue to do a project, I will remember that thinking you aren't as good as someone else, and being excluded, are feelings that can cut into a child's self-esteem. With that in mind, I will make every effort to avoid sticky situations by ensuring that your child is not discriminated against, or made fun of by other children. So when your child comes home in the afternoon with a less than perfect project, know that he did it on his own with the whole class urging him on.

When the therapists come in to work with your child, they will view him as a piece of clay with the potential to be something great. Together, despite tearful plea's and protests, we will take the precious child you have entrusted us with, and do our best at molding and shaping him and smoothing his edges, so that he may stand tall as possible. So at times when you think our goals are too simple, and our progress too slow, know that it takes time to build the magnificent sculpture we are envisioning in your child.

In music class we will have fun while dancing and singing to the silly songs. Don't get discouraged when you get the sheet of paper with the words typed out of the song for the week that your child must learn - and think that he can't participate. For even if your child can't read or talk or understand the words - I will listen to the sounds and shrieks he makes as he sways back and forth or spins in a circle, --and I will hear the music in his soul and see the dancing in his eyes. Just like you do.

In P.E. class we will not let the obstacles your child faces defeat him. We will make sure your child is challenged, but not discouraged. We will not make any tunnel too long that he can't see the light at the end. We will not make any swing go too fast that he is scared to try it again, or put any goal out of reach. There will be no last place. We will strive to impart to your child that in this race, everyone who crosses the finish line is a winner. We will be cheering for your child all the way, applauding his accomplishments. We will be the safety net should your child stumble and fall along the way.

So when your child comes home from school, and you hurriedly dig through his backpack for a note about what we did all day --and see that I forgot to write one, just know that we covered all the subjects and at the end of the day we were both very tired and dirty.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

c. August 2000 By Michelle Guppy. In tribute to Brandon's teachers, paraprofessionals, aides, and therapists -past and present- who took, and still take, their jobs seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dutch Mom,

That was beautiful!! Our daughter had a teacher that really made such an impression on our Daughter. She was such a tremendous help with Math..she went from struggling to the top student with the highest grade 101.9 %. We were so blessed to have her and appreciated all of her efforts. Teachers are absolutley heroes for so many kids!! So if you are a teacher...thank you too on behalf of children!

Michelle

This fell of the radar too quickly..

:bump:

A Sad and Beautiful Story in One...

I have a unique love for my significant other. Sometimes I dream of living alone for life inbetween two ex-husbands was solitary (I was happy) and peaceful. I've often felt that that was the best living environment for me. To live alone. With no one to answer to. Last year I had my first seizure - then more have followed. Malcolm had come to my aid each time. Now, everytime he hears a "thump" in the house he comes running to find me. Often times, it's the dog getting into mischief or something falling off the table (cats too). I thank God he's in my life now, for many reasons, but to know he's here while other men might have left - like my ex-husbands - has helped me see a kind humanity which had been sadly lacking in my life before. Hail to those who who have helped thread us back together. Again and again. Cinnabar :rose:

These are some good stories. I have a lot of heroes in my life. To many to mention. Let's give Thanks to all the heroes out there.

Well, I have one story.

I have a private correspondence with one guy, Doug Reitmeyer, who's interested in NFB. His son Ryan got in big accident and suffered from very severe TBI and seizures.

Here you'll find brief history about struggle of father for his son. They are real heros...

That story took my breath away, for more than one reason. Personally I am overjoyed that Ryan is recovered from such a tragedy.

Second reason, My nephew Josh use to work at that marina, and lived on his sailboat, just in front of that restaurant that is mentioned. On a trip I took to TX with Rebecca (her first), We were at my sisters near Dallas. As we were coming back from an errand we got a call that Josh was missing. 48 hrs later he was found in the water under the dock, he had been electrocuted. It is still a mystery, but the company that owns that marina decided not to go to court. My sister's beautiful 34 yr old son was taken away from her on August 3, 2004. His brother's name is Ryan.

I have no doubt that your Ryan, knew our Josh.
http://joshsboat.com/
Josh is an angel to me. Perhaps not a hero, he lived a quiet life, with his cat. Though we learned that week, that he had just asked a lovely girl to marry him.

That lake has taken far too many people. I learned that it is a very dangerous body of water. I kept looking at the photos expecting to see Josh in one of them.

I have so many many heros. My Mother, my son, and my Dr. But there is one more that touched me many years ago when I first got epilepsy. I was 10. It was a teacher. Tom Prentice. He was about 23 at the time. Dark hair blue eyes. I was in love with him. I was suppose to be in somebody elses class but purposly went in his. He understood epilepsy. This was back in 1975. He filled me with self esteem and self love. I was going to marry him but somebody else got to him first. He stayed close to my parents until I graduated but new all the laws about driving and helped me through that. He loved children. And now he works in the district that my son goes to.Thank-you Mr. Prentice and and all my sweet hero's for there are many.

IN THE 9th I HAD A GREAT HERO

AS I was going through jr. high school which was the hardest thing for me. Because I went a school out of my district because the jr. high down the was atwo level school and I wouldn't make it to class on time so I switched schools. It was very hard getting used to the different school .Most of the students I did not know . So the trouble makers took advantage of that and picked on me and caused fights. So that's when my mom and the school intervened and started having meetings with all my teachers and principals and that helped alot. Thats when I started becoming friends with the teachers and athletes and others that cared about me. So when It came to my ninth grade year the coach of the track team took me under his wing as a friend. I became the track manager that year. I also became the audio visual tech. But to get back to my track coach his name was coach Hudson and he became my second father because my dad was never around so he always took care after school he taught me everything about being a track manager. When I made a mistake he such patience and showed me the right way he ghome. Anytime we went on road trips he paid for my meals, he gave me advice the coach even had a special track manager t-shirt made just for me he was the greatest you could ask for. But in 1990 during spring break he had a sudden heart attack at his cabin near lake ivy and died! It was very sad because he taught me everything just like a dad. And the cool thing is he would go home to his wife each and talk about, but for some reason he talked about me as if I were his son! So at his funeral I was already in shock because of his death. But when his wife told the pastor to talk about me during the funeral I was surprised I meant that much to him. And he was my hero.At the end of the year the votes for the person who had most succeed at that school in9th grade and I was nominated before he died so When I got this life award I got a standing ovation it shocked me.And that's why I say Coach Bobby Ray Hudson is my hero!!!
1940-1991

GOD BLESS
DAVID HAIR

David,

That is truly the definition of a hero. Your Coach Huson sounds like a wonderful man. I am sure you will always remember him with such fond, happy memories! He really was like your second Dad!! Obviously, you meant the world to him as well. You made a real impact on his life also!!! Just like a son!! Thank you for sharing about such a wonderful man..your Coach Hudson!

Take Care Buddy!
Michelle

Coach, now, has a HERO in you....

AS I was going through jr. high school which was the hardest thing for me. Because I went a school out of my district because the jr. high down the was atwo level school and I wouldn't make it to class on time so I switched schools. It was very hard getting used to the different school .Most of the students I did not know . So the trouble makers took advantage of that and picked on me and caused fights. So that's when my mom and the school intervened and started having meetings with all my teachers and principals and that helped alot. Thats when I started becoming friends with the teachers and athletes and others that cared about me. So when It came to my ninth grade year the coach of the track team took me under his wing as a friend. I became the track manager that year. I also became the audio visual tech. But to get back to my track coach his name was coach Hudson and he became my second father because my dad was never around so he always took care after school he taught me everything about being a track manager. When I made a mistake he such patience and showed me the right way he ghome. Anytime we went on road trips he paid for my meals, he gave me advice the coach even had a special track manager t-shirt made just for me he was the greatest you could ask for. But in 1990 during spring break he had a sudden heart attack at his cabin near lake ivy and died! It was very sad because he taught me everything just like a dad. And the cool thing is he would go home to his wife each and talk about, but for some reason he talked about me as if I were his son! So at his funeral I was already in shock because of his death. But when his wife told the pastor to talk about me during the funeral I was surprised I meant that much to him. And he was my hero.At the end of the year the votes for the person who had most succeed at that school in9th grade and I was nominated before he died so When I got this life award I got a standing ovation it shocked me.And that's why I say Coach Bobby Ray Hudson is my hero!!!
1940-1991

GOD BLESS
DAVID HAIR
Those who help save a persons "spirit" are Miracle Heros. They are Healers or the Heart. Your coach is, do doubt, looking down upon you, now, thinking...

..." I helped David and look at him, now. He's my Hero who brings so much to so many people. He makes me proud!".

David our peaceful teachers do watch over us, and with great pride in our heroism. Remember> They taught us how to teach and are proud we've passed on the lesson.
Always Cinnabar

Love never fails. It's what gets us through. We can have one hero or 20. But they change our lives. I just wrote an article for a schools and communites and called it Hero's. It will be on an on line newspaper.This month I think.

Hi Stilldancing- You're right it's not about the quantity but the quality. I would take one good friend over 10 fair weather ones. I enjoy writing, asl well. Have had a couple of poems published and now am working on memoir. You wrote an article about Heros - Well, perfect for this room. Much discussion about our great ones! Would love to read your aricles. Would you be willing to give me the search? If you'd like I could direct you to my work. Always Cinnabar

Well my 5th grade teacher when I first started having seizures. He helped give me self love. My Mom who still helps me now when I am in need. She washed my body, helped my son. When I came out of my coma let me live with her. But had many expectations of me even when I couldn't walk.

Back
Top Bottom