Hi from the UK!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dazzer21

New
Reaction score
My name is Daren and I live in Kent in the UK. I'm 41 and am a Graphic Designer, self employed. I'm married, with two lovely teenage daughters and (don't tell them this, but) two even lovelier Border Collies!! <joke>. And a budgie! I am very work focused - I have a very responsible position looking after one of the my clients, on of the world's largest companies in its sector. Hence, it is imperative that I am on top of the game and am finding it harder as time goes on due to my epileptic situation, which is detailed below - which is why I'm here.

I'm on Lamotrogine 2x200mg per day, and have been for around 12 years. I developed photosensitive epilepsy when I was a toddler, the cause being put down as being a bad reaction to a whooping cough injection. I went through my formative years, probably up to my mid teens, having grand-mal seizures, mainly due to teenage angst circled around my lack of respect for my medication; they were real thrashers - my body ached for days afterwards. My medical history during this time was very well documented due to my regular tests, EEGs and such (no brain scans, though) and oputpatients visits.

Then things calmed down and the medication was on top of it all without incident. I was able to work proficiently, I was passed fit to drive and was able to live a normal life. In 2002, I woke up one morning and couldn't remember a thing about the day before - it had been my eldest child's sports day, which was a hot, sunny day and I wasn't wearing a hat; it was presumed to be a mild case of sunstroke and I carried on about my day. Sure enough, as the day progressed, I started to remember more as I was reminded about it. This was about a year after being transferred to Lamotrogine. Previously I had been on Epilim (1000mg per day!), and before that, Epanutin (chalky, chewable tablets - yuk!).

2 years previous to this, I moved house - about 40 miles away. I still worked near where I previously lived and, deciding that keeping continuity going was best policy, I remained with my then-current GP and consultant. However, as time moved on, it was deemed more convenient to move things to closer to where I live now and I transferred.

Things seemed to move pretty quickly under the new regime and very soon I was put in for a brainscan. The result of that was pretty startling - I have a temporal lobe arachnoid cyst on the left side of my brain, and quite sizeable it is too! I'd already started to experience patchy memory and concentration issues and the location of the cyst (in an area of the brain that controls such functions as logic and memory issues) seemed to - in my mind - put this down as the root cause of my problems; thank God my work is mainly creative!!

So that's my history, here's where I am now...

I'm getting pretty close to being terminally frustrated about this 'condition'; With regards to my work, I have gone from being absolutely brilliant at my job (and that's client's testiments, not my own) to being pretty good at best and, at times, damn-near incompetent, although I am in a position where, most of the time, I can cover up or rectify any issues before it all goes tits-up! Sometimes I forget things virtually as soon as they are said to me, other times not. Sometimes I get on with a task only to get to a stage where it dawns on me that I didn't complete it, as though somewhere along the line, I drifted off onto something else without realising, only to find that what I WAS doing is still sitting there waiting for me to finish it. If I'm on the phone and there is any sort of background noise, I can't zone in on either so I have to insist on complete silence whilst I try to concentrate on what people are saying to me.

My job is very important to me and, based on my previous efforts, I am very well respected in what I do and am holding a position which, in reality, is something that three people would struggle to do; I had never been mentally average - for instance, I passed my English language exams at school FOUR YEARS early and at the age of nine had a reading age of NINETEEN.

I have been for cognitive testing twice in the past three years and both times I was deemed to be mentally proficient - or 'average'. In my eyes, the tests were not real-world enough to deem me anything other than 'average'. As a graphics man, looking at pictures is something I'm supposed to take seriously, so matching up pairs isn't the most taxing of exercises; I was read a story and it was about a man - whose name I couldn't even remember - who ran a shop that was being demolished to make space for a shopping centre. My work is comprehensively connected to the retail sector and I know all about these things, so answering questions on the subject was a doddle. I explained this, but it wasn't deemed important... but that's digression.

To end ('Thank God', I hear you utter), I'm in limbo. Memory is a huge issue, concentration is a major concern and it's causing me to be moody, sometimes angry and at times, so down that it's troubling. And now, having read several posts in several forums, I'm majorly convinced that it's down to my medication. I am (April 2012) currently awaiting a hospital appointment to discuss tackling this issue with, in my eyes, the intention of discussing a change from Lamotrigine to something else.

So, I'm here to try to blend in and maybe glean and offer meaningful information with the community. Thanks for taking the last hour to read this and I hope we might be able to interact soon...

D

Hi Dazzer21,
Welcome to CWE,your in the right place,no probs reading your post,we all gotta start somwhere eh? You will find almost everything you ask here,exept for a cure im afraid everyones nice and will help you out as much as they can,welcome again mate.

Hi Daren, welcome to CWE!

I'm a self-employed graphic designer, also on Lamotrigine. You have my sympathies. I know the toll that epilepsy can take as well as those exacted by the medications. In my case, I haven't found Lamotrigine to have any cognitive side effects. I'm fortunate enough to have seizure control on a relatively small dose (150mg/day), so that may be part of it. I would be more likely to suspect the arachnoid cyst as the cause of your memory issues, especially given its proximity to the hippocampus, but again, that's based on my own more positive experience with the Lamotrigine.

You might ask your doctor about backing off your dose slightly to see if the cognitive side effects are mitigated. If that's not an option, there are certainly other meds out there to try. You might want to steer clear of Topomax ("Dopomax"), and if you tend to be moody, Keppra may be bad choice as well. Unfortunately, you can't know for sure until you try.

Another possibility is neurofeedback. I don't know if this is an option for you (in terms of cost and availability of practitioners), but if so, it might provide enough benefit that you could get by on a lower dose (of whichever medication you end up on), and thereby suffer fewer of any associated side effects. More info here: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/eeg-neurofeedback-501/

Best,
Nakamova

Hi both. Thank you for your warm welcome.

Nakamova, the level of dosage I'm on actually has a very low threshold between being 'effective' and making me feel bad. If I miss a tablet, it makes me feel a bit numb and slows me down mentally, quite noticeably so. The decision to look into the medication change hasn't been made lightly - I am worried about possible pitfalls and at the end of the day I'm going to have to base a decision around whether my condition could improve under something else. But I guess that's up to the experts...

I just want to go back to being a bit sharper again - sometimes it's like walking through custard. One thing it's done is knock my confidence really hard. Talking to people I haven't met before can be daunting - remembering their name is just one hurdle and if there is ambient noise whilst having a conversation, their lips are moving but latching onto what they are saying is really hard - I'm sure I must look like a right idiot, rude even, to some people. So I just keep myself to myself pretty much.

it might be that your not taking the right dose. i was taking 1200mg of tegretol and recently had it increased to 1400mg and i feel more awake and alert. it may be woth talking to your doctor to see what they think about it

Back
Top Bottom