Hi. New to site. Looking for dogs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bibi2233

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone! does anyone know where I might be able to find a reliable service dog company which has seizure detecting dogs?

Is a epilepsy foundation where you live? They should be able to help you. Try contacting your local epilepsy foundation.

Hi Bibi - Welcome... I don't know anything about the dogs. I know more about the program for the blind.

Hi Bibi! I was researching service dogs a while back. From what I found, it's hard to get a seizure detecting dog. Your best bet for that would be to get training for a dog that you already own and are bonded to. Have them obedience trained and service trained. The other kind of dog you can get, is a seizure assist dog. These dogs are trained to assist the person that is having a seizure by getting help, staying with the person, rolling them onto their side, etc..... So if a company says they can guarantee a seizure detect dog, be cautious.

Hi Bibi,
Welcome to CWE. This is a wonderful place and has been very helpful to me. Good luck with finding a dog. I learned something new. I didn't know about it.

Sandee

I was thinking they should have seizure alert monkeys as well as dogs. Being that a monkey has hands, he could be much more useful than a dog; when dialing 911, for example.

typo

There's a lot of programs for them,
one of them to look into is:

Paws With A Cause

1) Hearing Guide Dogs
2) Service Dogs
3) Seizure Response Dogs

Last edited:
Welcome to CWE

:cheers:

I see that you have already received some good references for service dogs. I think you will find that is pretty much the case with most things in this house/website. I hope you find what you are looking for and visit us often.

Plenty of info here as well as room to laugh, cry, scream, etc...

:hello:

Katlin's mother, Maggie, a nurse at JFK Medical Center in Edison, said she learned about a dog-training organization called Canine Assistants from an employee of Keppra, a pharmaceutical company that makes epilepsy drugs. Maggie Miller sought Canine Assistants when Katlin was 16.

Maggie Miller said she knew when she sent in her application that it could take more than a year before Katlin received a dog. They finally got the call last fall. Katlin and Maggie Miller went to Canine Assistants' headquarters in Georgia to find Katlin's match and participate in a two-week training session. Keppra picked up the tab for their two-week stay and the dog's training.

"It was dog camp," Miller said. "The instant Katlin and Greta met, they fell in love."

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/epstein/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/121350464030820.xml&coll=1

So funny that this was brought up again as our Neuro has recommended a seizure dog for Shan. She feels that as Shan grows and goes to college that she will benefit from a constant no matter how her environment changes. We've only discussed it as a general option, though. I didn't realize that Keppra is contributing to the process. Interesting, though...

I have no specialized/trained dog...what I do have are several stories about my personal family dogs being a great protector and comfort durring my events ( and they are recycled dogs from the humane society) It has been my experiance that animals can be very intuitive and often are the ones to bring me out of it. My two lay with me, one on either side. If I start to seize they will lick my face till I come back. Count me totally on board about the dog thing:agree:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom