Hiccups

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I know I shouldn't think this is funny, but it kinda is. Kater has had the hiccups probably 15 times in the last 2 days. They bother her (like they annoy anyone else) but she laughs about it after the first couple minutes. She tries to make it fun, like asking me yesterday on the walk home from school if I would give her a quarter if she didn't hiccup for the length of three houses. I know that it is a side effect of the meds, as the Dr. warned us that alot of her kids that take it get the hiccups often.

Do you know which med is the one responsible for the hiccups?

Medline Plus doesn't say a whole lot about hiccups as far as stopping them.

the culprit would be the Zarontin. The Dr. said when she started it that one of the main side effects that she sees often is the kids' getting the hiccups. I guess that is minor compared to some of the others that are listed.

Perhaps it is all in my mind, but my remedy stops my hiccups every time.

I have to be an a quiet place, no distractions at all.
I close my eyes, and concentrate on my breathing.
I breath in as far as I can, very, very slowly....
and then breath in some more.
I visualize my lungs filling up with air, and I stretch them as far as possible.
Then slowly, ever so slowly, I breath out.
Again as far as I can, and then some more.
Visualizing that I have to get all of the air out.
I repeat this until the hiccups are gone.

Not sure it will help if the hiccups are due to medicine,
but this works if they are due to, too much laughing or after a meal.
I understand that they are due to a spasm in the diaphram, so this was my way of relaxing those muscles. It is interesting to me that this does not work if my mind wanders from the process. That is why I choose to find a quite place.

You might try to teach it to her.
Doesn't cost a thing, and no negative side effects.

Last edited:
Don't like them.

I hate hiccups. I had them for a week once and couldn't get rid of them. I hope that never happens again.

my hiccup cure!

My hiccup cure is simple, all you need is a glass of water!
1Get a glass of water sit down.
2 get a mouth full of water
3 when y fella hiccup coming, swallow try to swallow it on the hiccup.
4 repeat step 3 if you still have hiccups!
5 I know this sounds like a recipe for getting the water down the wrong hole, but it has only happened tome a couple of times.
usually I have one more hiccup then they are gone!

Hope that helps somebody!

Sheba

Hello. I know what you mean. I've had them for 15 yrs straight. Everyday allday! The medicine that is causing it for me is Neurontin. They are really painful. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom