Holy Hallucinations, Batman!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Katie

New
Reaction score
So I think I had my first "real" simple partial seizure today.

As a dx I have "generalized epilepsy" that presents as blepharospasms and also JME. Physically it's bilateral, frontal lobe epilepsy. I've had only on TC that I'm aware of.

The past few days I've had a low grade fever off and on and have not been sleeping well. This morning I had some brain zaps. That was weird. I have only gotten brain zaps when I'm withdrawing from a med, but I've been on my meds for a long time now.

I brushed it off as strange but unimportant.

Later, I was walking and there was a man that ducked down behind a bush next to me. He was laughing at me. I got really irritated, and walked over there to call him out and give him a peace of my mind. But there was no one. I looked long and hard around that bush and the area and no one was there.

Okay, so I've had times where I've seen people out of the corner of my eye. But two other things were different:

First, I saw this man in detail. Normally it's more a shadow-vision in my peripherals. This guy was so clear in my peripherals I knew he was real. But he wasn't.

Second, I'm fairly paranoid. Normally when I see something I'm startled and immediately panic. I always jump, my heart skips a beat and I'm in flight mode. This time I experienced extremely abnormal assertiveness and even aggression. That's not me AT ALL.

So while I do have my fair share of psych issues...I can't help but feel like this particular instance was a seizure.

Thoughts?

I think it was a siezure. I have had coversations with people that are not there and then I find myself some where else looking up at someone wondering how I got on the floor. That happened often when I first started having siezures and was in withdrawl from Neurotin at the time.

Thanks. I am glad I'm not the only one who has (or possibly has) seizures like this. It was very strange!

Hey girl, here's a must-read for you:
I have put it on quite a few times so how 'bout I just direct you to the existing one in my threads - it's on 'page 2' second from the bottom and called 'Invaluable article on simple partials (auras).'

You're welcome! Hopefully you could relate and it helped you not feel so, ya know, off the wall. Partial seizures are UNREAL.
Mine isn't a man in the bush that I can actually see; it's a woman in my head in a pitch dark room (with a bit of a glow around her), and she's talking the whole time. Have never been able to properly explain what's she's saying. I remember but I don't, and it's the same EVERY time, for 19 years now.
You'll get it all sorted out, just takes a bit of time. Someone good to relate to on here is ElaineH, maybe msg her with what is happening; she's good to talk to. HUGS!

Mine isn't a man in the bush that I can actually see; it's a woman in my head in a pitch dark room (with a bit of a glow around her), and she's talking the whole time. Have never been able to properly explain what's she's saying. I remember but I don't, and it's the same EVERY time, for 19 years now.
Hey QTown,
My simple partial seizure or aura used to be a strange dream. It was always the same dream but the only time I ever remembered what the dream was about was when I was having the seizure.

I used to get annoyed that I could never remember what the dream was about because it was hard to describe a dream you couldn't really remember.
My local neurologist never asked me to explain the dream but when I met the epitiologist he asked me to describe the dream the best I could & asked me questions about the dream. Lets say it was bloody hard to describe a dream I can't remember & only thing I remembered was it was possibly about going somewhere lol.

That's why I find that article a 'must read.' He explains how everyone's are so different, so unique, and most of the time almost impossible to describe to the average person. CQ have you read it yet?

I am certainly glad I'm not the only one! That article is great, and something I'll certainly be sharing with everyone.

Isn't it those like us who originally brought people to believe in demonic possession back in the old days? I think I read that somewhere.

Anyway, thanks to everyone again. My problem now remains that I don't have a neurologist currently, and I think I should get one since this is a new thing that's happened to me (well, I think I should get one anyways, but now it's more important).

If this is an aura...do I have a seizure coming on? Or was that the seizure itself do you think?

Hi Katie
Before I was diagnosed I use to hear someone singing but I could never make out the words. I would whip my head around to see who was behind me, but alas, I was alone. Now it seems to have fallen out of favor with my regular SP repertoire.

If this is an aura...do I have a seizure coming on? Or was that the seizure itself do you think?

One thing unfortunately that a lot of people don't realize is that an 'aura' is a seizure. It is a 'simple partial seizure,' it's just that depending on your neuro (as well as the country you live in - many do things a bit differently), some will refer to them as auras, and some simples. But, it is a seizure.
I would def. recommend a neuro as soon as you can get an appt., the sooner you can start figuring it all out the better :)

Hi Katie
Before I was diagnosed I use to hear someone singing but I could never make out the words. I would whip my head around to see who was behind me, but alas, I was alone. Now it seems to have fallen out of favor with my regular SP repertoire.

Fun isn't it.
:bigmouth:

Thanks!! That clears things up. I don't have to sit here and wonder if I should be waiting for "the big one," like it's an earthquake or something.

Fun isn't it.

Well I never felt alone and there was "someone" to lull me to sleep. :D

Plus its better than thinking you smell a fire in the middle of the night and proceed to tear around the house looking for it.

I had hallucinations when I was on Keppra and once when I was sick and ran a high fever.

I saw a man in black long coat with hat standing in my foyer, his hands was in his pocket.

I saw him at a friend house one day also.

WhenI got off Keppra my hallucinations stopped.

I hope you get to feeling better.

Well it wouldn't surprise me if that was a seizure. The brain does some odd, almost unreal things. I remember having seizures roll on so long that I was feeling the exact same way I would if I had a high fever. Delusions and I was convinced I finally lost my marbles but it was the seizures. I got really paranoid and hostile between the seizures. Once the ativan hit my system everything was clear. It's some scary stuff and i'm sorry you had to experience it.

Thanks all. I tried calling my old neuro's office twice today with no answer at all. Not even a recording. Just ringing. Part of the reason I stopped going!

In 2012, I had three episodes where I saw and heard people who weren't there. My field of vision narrowed and they suddenly appeared. I saw them clearly ... they were talking to me although I don't know what they were saying. My sense of smell was really heightened. I wasn't scared. I felt like I knew them. As a fairly rational person, I know this is wrong. My neuro is great. He told me I wasn't crazy; he said I was having seizures and sent me for tests. I wouldn't wish this on anyone but I am glad that I am not the only one who experiences these types of things.

That's why I find that article a 'must read.' He explains how everyone's are so different, so unique, and most of the time almost impossible to describe to the average person. CQ have you read it yet?
No I haven't read the article yet.
Have you got a link to it so I can have a read?

Back
Top Bottom