How do people know you’ve had a seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CQ:)

Veteran
Reaction score
This is going to be a crazy question but I’m curious how does someone know you had a seizure if they didn’t see the seizure but saw you after the seizure?

My seizures are all partials, currently mainly complex with no or very little warning. I usually have them at home on my own or at work.

My boss has seen me have a couple of seizures, so usually has a rough idea of when I’ve had a seizure or am post seizure.

But there is another guy who works in the office who has never seen me have a seizure but seen me post seizure a couple of times.
Last week I had a complex partial at work not long after I started and when the work colleague came in to the office 1st thing he asked me was if I was ok. This was over an hour after the seizure but he knew straight away something wasn’t right. When I told him I had a seizure earlier that morning he said thought that must’ve been the case and told me I didn’t look too well. Later he told me I was starting to look better.

I have no idea how he knows I had a seizure except maybe I was pale??? I was still feeling off when he came in :ponder:

My mum hasn’t seen me have a seizure since my surgery but she usually knows when I’ve had a seizure as well. But I just put that down as a Mum thing and years of experience dealing with my seizures :roflmao:.

Hi CQ,

Just like you a few of my co workers as well as students have been able to tell if I had a seizure especially if it's a complex partial. I've been told it's harder for me to
focus and I look more tired after I had the seizure. There have been sometimes when I'm at work and I've had the seizure in front of others and they can tell because I will be
in the classroom and for no reason just walk out of the room and when the seizure is over I find myself in a different location in the school, then I come back to class and I look confused to everyone.
Ask your friend at work if this is what they notice. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi CQ,
I have both types of seizures obviously when I have a gran mal everyone around knows but even during a big seizure I do weird things . I had one last week where I was checking the mailbox it's across the street I went to the neighbors house and pulled all the flowers out of their flower garden then fell down and started flopping.
When I have the little seizures people seem to be able to tell something is wrong. They say I didn't look right or I was saying and doing strange things. I don't seem to be aware of it until right before from the or a or after getting off the ground and feeling very bad and strange. Good luck and God bless

Never underestimate the mum's CQ there is "that look" when its not tonic clonic stuff.
...Funny that my own mum has never since 2009 when my girl has had seizures my mum has never seen her have a seizure . I am glad because she would freak and panic,

:)

Sound like you have a supportive working environment it must be a relief for you.

Never underestimate the mum's CQ there is "that look" when its not tonic clonic stuff.
...Funny that my own mum has never since 2009 when my girl has had seizures my mum has never seen her have a seizure . I am glad because she would freak and panic,

:)
I've had epilepsy since I was a baby but had a 21 year break so my Mums been dealing with it for 41 years. So even though I'm in my early 40s now I still get the 'listen to your Mum, she knows best' talk :roflmao:.

I pretty much only have focal (partial) seizures now. I used to have tonic clonics when I was little but not anymore, last tonic clonic I had was 4 years ago but that was in hospital during a VEEG because I was sleep deprived & off meds.

Sound like you have a supportive working environment it must be a relief for you.
My boss is pretty hard to work for & isn't great for my stress so I work part time. But he is good about the epilepsy, he's only really seen me have 2 seizures. 1st time he was confused but knew something was wrong, 2nd time he told me I had a seizure as I hadnt got a warning 1st (instead I jst spaced out).

I asked my Mum on the weekend how she knew I'd had a seizure. I talk to her on the phone every day so sometimes when talking to me she can just pick up somethings not right. Whether its a seizure or bad day at work lol. She said 'well I havent seen you have a seizure since your surgery but before your eyes would be glazed over and you just didn't look right'

My boss does get confused easily lol but he's also learnt how to notice when I have seizure.

As for the other guy he is a contractor so works either in the office or from home. We discuss my epilepsy a bit so he also knows what I do when I have seizure & how long recovery can take. He has never seen me have an actual seizure, only post seizure. Sometimes it has been just after i come out but the other day was a while after. I'd had the seizure at around 8:45 & he doesn't get into work until 10:30am.

I was talking to him at work today & asked how he knew I had a seizure last week. He said you looked at of it & not your usual self. When I said the boss knows when Ive had a seizure now as well, he said yeah you start to realise especially by how you look or act.

my mom can tell i tool funny, a few people can whom i have dated can tell by the way I smell.

Today when i was in town i had a partial and i couldn't understand what my brother was saying to me, it's like the words didn't make sense at all, he noticed afterwards that i was clumsy and kept walking into people, not paying attention to the road etc, said it was like i'd just been drinking whiskey rather than coffee!

I'm still kind of spacey now

That's the scary part. I have no problem with my simple partials--I can feel them come on and end. The complex partials, though, are another story. Unless another person actually witnesses me having it, I only "know" that one occurred if 1 or more things from the following list has happened:
1)I find myself injured in some way--happened 15+ times
2)I suddenly find myself in a different room than I was before
3)I have changed my clothes & don't recall doing it (this has happened at least twice)

I don't know what other things (if any) I might do during complex partials. If my husband is home, he usually helps me to the sofa to make sure I don't fall & get hurt.

One time, for example, my mother was going to be picking me up to go shopping in about 2 hours. I went in my room to finish getting ready, & the next thing I knew, I was sitting on my bed wearing my pajamas again!! What is actually scarier is the times I have burned myself.

Today when i was in town i had a partial and i couldn't understand what my brother was saying to me, it's like the words didn't make sense at all, he noticed afterwards that i was clumsy and kept walking into people, not paying attention to the road etc, said it was like i'd just been drinking whiskey rather than coffee!

I'm still kind of spacey now
Apparently last week when the co worker came in after the seizure he said I looked a bit soacey, not with it .
I was working fine, talking fine but still felt like rubbish and my face felt hot (I think Hes told me befire I look paler then normal when I’m like that).

Today I was talking to a client about a maintenance issue, boss walked in while I was getting their details. He chatted to the client and left me to continue getting their information. He asked later if I was ok, I said yep. He said I looked a bit dazed when I was getting the clients info. I said I think I was ok (I was alert, no auras), the client was just confusing me because he kept changing the details of the issue we had to address.

I was telling the other guy when he came in and after told him how he confused me he jokingly said maybe the guy was just an idiot lol.

My eyes dilate, so it becomes incredibly easy to tell when I've had one.

My husband said I'd 'Have that look', not exactly what 'that look' is though. I have a VNS and I'll see the tv remote, phone or some other odd things in my hand or laying beside me that I'd meant to use as the magnet.

My husband said I'd 'Have that look', not exactly what 'that look' is though.
That’s how mum described it, she said my eyes would be glassy/ glazed.

I think that’s what my co worker also meant the other week when he said I didn’t look right.

Sometimes I've also been told by people who have witnessed my complex partial or stronger simple partial seizures that my eyes appear glazed.

Very strange but somehow I almost always hide seizures from those around me. Even my bad ones when I leave our world, somehow, those around me don’t know. Well I think that is the case. If they do know, no one really ever says anything... even my wife never knows.

Very strange but somehow I almost always hide seizures from those around me. Even my bad ones when I leave our world, somehow, those around me don’t know. Well I think that is the case. If they do know, no one really ever says anything... even my wife never knows.
Wow
I try to hide my seizures or think I do but never works and people realise I have one. :paperbag:

I would think it possible to wander through life and people don't notice...when child having something very quick that makes all the difference between 2+2=4 or 5..people sure know when having aura for me that the worse but we all different..i would try my best for people not see it..i use to feel aura coming on and quickly run to bathroom that was years ago before diagnosed..i think see it may educate people but I talk the talk don't walk the walk.

I just had another complex partial on Tuesday resulting in a second degree burn. My son came home to find me on the floor & my tea spilled on the counter and my back. I had also overturned a large glass of water on the kitchen table, and knocked a chair over.

Back
Top Bottom