How does surgery ( not brain surgery) affect your seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

chmmr

New
Reaction score
If anyone has had to have surgery ( ie tonsils or anything else that was non e related) how did it affect your seizures?

I've had my share of surgeries over the years, from burns and skin grafts to gall bladder and never had any seizures while in the hospital or during recovering. Don't know if I had one while I was under anesthesia, they never said if I did.

I've had a hysterectomy and back surgery and I don't think that either caused any difference in the seizures.

If you've had surgery and started having more seizures then it might be from one of the meds that you are taking for the surgery or something that they used on you during the surgery. I'd ask your neuro about it. If it's from one of the meds that you are on then it may need to be changed.

I had to have my tonsils removed later in life.They didn't affect my seizures in 2005
I was having problems swollowing.
I also had a lumbar in 2009 and it didn't effect my seizures either.
Had surgery on my shoulder didn't have any problems having seizures.
The only time I had problem having seizures was when I broke my nose and went status on the operating table when I was a teenager.

I had several surgeries on my eyes and ears that are not E related. I had no E problems relating to surgery but i do worry that the anesthetic which causes brain loss can not help. though i did not have notable effects yet.

Good to know-thanks guys! We are looking at removing my daughters tonsils and adenoids to help improve her seizures (sleep disruption from apnea and obstructed airways etc) and one of the things i was worried about was whether the surgery itself could trigger seizures.

Thanks!!

I had a 16 hour back surgery after I started having seizures but before I was diagnosed. I was on Neurotin for nerve pain before the surgery and it was stopped abruptly and I don't recall any increase in seizures.

for the record; the last surgery i had (6 months ago) on my hand, i had them use LOCAL anesthetic only and stay awake. it was cool and no brain loss, ie. hang-over from the drugs.

Back
Top Bottom