How drowsy is too drowsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Starburst

New
Reaction score
My infant (age 8 months) is currently taking 30 mg of phenobarbital per day. We just increased this from 24 mg, which is the dose he was taking for several months prior. Since he started taking the increased dose on Wednesday, he has been noticeably drowsy but seems a little better today (Saturday). I really hate seeing my son so drowsy. Is this just a period of adjustment? How drowsy is too drowsy? Obviously I will contact his doctor if this persists, but I am just interested in hearing other people's experiences.

My son is now 10 months old and is taking 60 mg of phenobarbital per day. He had a noticeable increase in seizure activity throughout April, May, and June, but the new dose seems to be having the desired effect now. Every time we increase the dose (we increased it about 3 times over the last 3 months), he is more drowsy for a week or so and then seems to adjust. Each time it happens it is very disturbing but it seems like we, too, must adjust to the side-effects of this medication. Does anyone else out there have a child who takes phenobarbital?

Hi Adam. Im sorry you haven't had any responses. I don't have any answers for you, but I wanted to say hi and thanks for your post and update. This information will be helpful to the next parent who comes on looking for answers. Keep sharing. Im glad your son has such a good daddy. :)

I'm glad your son's seizure activity responded to the high dose, but I hope any side effects don't become problematic.

Hi Adam, My 17 1/2 month old is on Tegretol and they are slowly increasing his dose. It seems to take him a couple of days for the new dose to take affect then not sure if its his condition altering or him adjusting to the increase but it seems no longer to have as much affect. We were told Tegretol should help with his sleep as he has events overnight and it is usually makes you drowsy but unfortunately he hasn't even had a handful of what would be classed even close to normal sleep in the last month.
Hope your sons seziures remain controlled. Its so hard when they are so young and not able to tell you anything!
take Care.
Donnajane

Thanks to those who replied. Yes, it is hard when they are too young to share what they are feeling. I am so worried about the side effects of the medication. My son has now been taking the increased dose for about 12 days, but the seizures are returning once again. I am not sure what our next step will be. Most likely another increase, or the doctor will add another medicine. I just really wish he did not have to take any medication.

Hi Adam. Im sorry you haven't had any responses. I don't have any answers for you, but I wanted to say hi and thanks for your post and update. This information will be helpful to the next parent who comes on looking for answers. Keep sharing. Im glad your son has such a good daddy.

Thank you for the support, Julie. "Um Adam" is Arabic for "Adam's Mom," so I am actually Adam's mother. But his dad is truly wonderful. We can't get the children's version of phenobarbital in our area. It is also very difficult to find the medicine as the pharmacies are usually out. My husband regularly visits something like 20 pharmacies to make sure we do not run out of medicine. He also crushes the pills and makes them into a liquid form that my son can take. He has been doing this continuously since my son was born last year, so I feel truly blessed.

Back
Top Bottom