How long do they last ?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

rich956

New
Reaction score
OMG
Iam supposed to put an answer down on paper stating how long my grand-mals last... Really ? I have no idea of what to say......maybe 3 minutes to 4 hours ? just cant put a time on any one since theyre always different....:paperbag:

OMG
Iam supposed to put an answer down on paper stating how long my grand-mals last... Really ? I have no idea of what to say......maybe 3 minutes to 4 hours ? just cant put a time on any one since theyre always different....:paperbag:

You have seizures that last 4hrs? That sounds like status epilepsy or are you talking about how long the recovering takes? Usually I just ask those who seen it like my parents, if nobody has seen it and you don't know anybody just put down unknown. I am usually confused, and have no memory. I notice things fell over, or squashed on and from there I know that I have had a seizure.

It's nothing to be ashamed about, neurologists will understand if you have no memory.

Last edited:
Probably 1-3 minutes. If you have a grand mal (Tonic/Clonic) that is longer than 5 minutes, you would definitely be in the hospital. That is known as "status" and is very dangerous.

Unless there is someone there to see me have the seizure I don't know how long it lasts, what I did during it and a lot of the time I usually don't even know that I've had it.

If I'm alone I might see that I've put stuff in places they don't belong. I do a lot of crossword puzzles and I'll see that I've scribbled all over the page. Get really confused about where I am or what I'm doing. Or I'll have a horrible headache. These are ways that I assume I've had the seizure. But I have no clue when it started and stopped.

You're not the only one and yes neuros understand this.

Thanxs all...
Cannot seen to get work, was looking into SSI Disability and some of the things they have to ask makes me feel intimidated and like did I just waste their time ?

Thanxs all...
Cannot seen to get work, was looking into SSI Disability and some of the things they have to ask makes me feel intimidated and like did I just waste their time ?

When I started having seizures and was diagnosed with epilepsy my mom filled out the paperwork to get me on SSI Disability because I couldn't tell up from down or left from right. I'm a good bit better now - I know up from down but still not left from right :roflmao:.

I think she got a good bit of help from my neuro because they needed ACTUAL PROOF that I had epilepsy and I was unable to work. I think there was paperwork that he had to fill out too. So you might want to start there.

I've been on it for about 8 years now and every year my neuro still has to give them information about what's going on with me. That I'm still having seizures, taking medicine, what I can and can't do and what my mental status is like. Things like that.

Paperwork can be pretty frustrating. Even the just the stuff you have to fill out for office visits. My brain doesn't work to well so I need to get help from others to fill the stuff out.

I hope this helps you out some.

I don't know if you keep a seizure diary or not but it would be a good thing to do.

I have a small date book that I keep track of all my seizures in. When I have a seizure I write down as much about the seizure that I know of. If I don't know anything but know I've had one I just write down that I've had a seizure.

I called my neruo today and talked to his secretary (which is who I usually always talk to over the phone) because I've been having a lot of seizures. She asked about the seizures - what I did, how long they lasted etc...

Some of them I had the information for but others I just had wrote down that I'd had the seizure. When I told her that she said it was fine that I didn't know.

Just start keeping track of the seizures, if you don't already. What day you've had them, if you've had more than one in one day and as much information that you know about them.

Well I can understand that as one of my three gran mal seizures, I woke up in the hospital and feeling shock, nervousness, and in a minor panic mode a I orally had no idea just what was happening. My other gran mal's while also waking in a panic mode, I heard they were about 5 minutes. Bad part is after it takes one au chunk of time to get back to normal... well this was my experience.

GJ

Back
Top Bottom