How long have you had Epilepsy?

How long have you had Epilepsy?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Teresa,

You are a very loving person. You did not make me feel bad. Did I sound like I did? I apologize if I did. I was just explaining what happened in my family.

It's tough

to educate people. So many people seem to prefer to hang on to old prejudices and superstitions, because sometimes changing ones' perspective of things is hard. Sometimes people are taught wrongly about something, and when the truth comes forth, there is a denial, because it's tough to admit that the person or person who said it might be wrong (what else could they be wrong about?)
Remember when people were taught not to eat tomatoes because they were of the nightshade family and were therefore poisonous?
Or that oatmeal thickened the blood, and not good for cholesterol?
We just gotta patiently retrain and re-educate people to the truth.
Unfortunately, we have too many drug users who have seizures because of the chronic abuse of drugs and lack of proper nutrition.
:sigh:

Shelley, what you stated about drug users is correct. (I've seen evidence of this from the Police station.) Another type of seizures is known as "Post Traumatic Epilepsy", brought about by a severe head trauma and/or the scarring of the brain tissue after one has had neurosurgery. A good example of this is the actress, Elizabeth Taylor.

There are different types of causes that bring on seizures. Personally, mine is brought on by epilepsy.

Drug users do have seizures. They, like the rest of us did not want seizures. I believe this is one of the important types of seizures that people do not accept. Nobody wants to bring on seizures. I accept anyone with seizures no matter how it is brought about.

Would you please explain what you mean about Elizabeth Taylor?

Last edited:
What I mean by Elizabeth Taylor having E is this: she had some neurosurgery done after fainting. When they found out the reason for her fainting, it had to do with a small benign tumor which required surgery. When the surgery was finished, she started having seizures. Prior to this surgery, she had never had seizures. It was explained that the scarring on her brain after the neurosurgery was the cause of the incomplete messages going through her nerve pathways. This type of E is known as "Post traumatic Epilepsy." It can be caused by a simple bang to one's head if one falls hard enough to do damage to their brain.

I hope this clarifies my explanation for you. :)

Last edited:
McGill, this does explain it for me. I did not know that Elizabeth Taylor had surgery. I am glad you brought it up.

dance to the music

Kool and the gang.
Watch the stage lights and flashes for those who are photosensitive.

and remember, it could be a whole lot worse. Even tho' sometimes I can't think of how.

I was diagnosed nearly 6 years ago when I was 22. My paternal grandmother was diagnosed when she was 27. My Dad suffered from bi-polar and I believe from the things he talked about, looking back, that he may have been having CP seizures. My Nan's aunt was put in a 'mental institution' because of 'the falling sickness'. My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed when she was 9. And only one out of the three neuro's I've seen has admitted that there's even a POSSIBILITY of my E being hereditary.....Also my cousin (my dad's brother's daughter) has been having CP seizures since she was 19...my Nan's seizures have never been fully controlled in the 58 years since she was diagnosed.

From your description, it sounds very possible that it is hereditary. Has your neurologist had you referred to a neurophysiologist - a person who studies the makeup of the Central Nervous System & the brain?

Unfortunately I am reliant on the NHS, I have to count myself lucky to see my NEURO once a year...chance of getting referred to anyone else is minimal.

Well it's wierd. This guy I was dating for a while, called me up today and asked me a "medical question". He was walking around the house and not remembering things, like breaking his nose, wierd stuff you know. Doing things and not knowing how you did them. But he never experienced this kind of thing. Finally he was with his mom one day and she saw him. She took him to the Hospital. It was a potassium defisency. Then he found out his Grand mother had it. They loaded him up with suplements and he is doing great.

Been there, same age of diagnosis! I have a 10+ years on you, though. How have you been coping, "Rewired"?

I've been coping for 46 yrs. Now come to terms and dealing with it? about 25 yrs.
You?

from what I know, my memory is gone for a few years before I deveolped it. I was sick for a few days before it all started. I went to the e.r. for what we thought was a cold, and passed out in the e.r. they sent me to a different hospital, got really sick. they think it is viral or bactierial (lots of help). and I have mostly been told they don't know why I am sick or have epilepsy. No brain bamage, a clean mri and ct scan.

Last edited:
Hi COurt, have a V EEG done. That will show it up. i would get another neurologist. You have been seeing one, haven't you? If not, ask to be referred to one. Then you can get a final diagnoses

was in the hospital for a week having a video eeg done. they got nothing conclusive.
i was reffered to a new neurologist here in cali, but they seem to have a two month wait

i've had Epilepsy for 8 years now. They think my seizures are caused by a severe head injury when i was 14 (back in 1997) but they aren't 100% positive.

Back
Top Bottom