How long have you had Epilepsy?

How long have you had Epilepsy?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Goodness, I don't know how to answer this...lol.

When I was a young child I was diagnosed with psychomotor epilepsy in the left temporal lobe. My mom said that shortly after a DPT shot I began acting strange. She said I'd get up, start wringing my fingers, walk across the room then lean against the wall totally incoherant. The dr told her that I would grow out of it and that it could return during puberty and that if it didn't that I wouldn't ever have to worry about epilepsy ever again. I did indeed grow out of it, or so we thought.

I always had trouble focusing in school and remembering what I read. I'd read some pages over and over and would still not "get it". Feeling spacy just felt normal and regular to me. No one ever thought anything of it.

Then at 39 I had a few tonic clonics and was diagnosed with epilepsy again.

So hell if I know. :p

First time I replied in this thread I had E for 29 years.. now it's 33! I wonder if I can change my vote.. lol

Since 1993 i've had epilepsy due to scar tissue from a brain surgery in 1990. :(

Officially diagnosed in Jan of 06 after two back to back TC’s. After talking to the doc, I found out I had been having SP’s since I was a little kid…. That helped clear up so weird sh_t I had experienced.

similar story to pfunk, in 2003 i had two t.c.'s a few months apart and that's it, you have E! learned a few years later that i had been having partials since i was 15, when the had been misdiagnosed as ptsd. crazy when you find out you have a disease, then find out you've had it for years and years and didn't know it :(

I've known that I've had epilepsy for only about 1 year, but I have had epilepsy for almost 5 years now...

Started in 2nd grade, AT school and it lasted for 45 minutes and I was in the hospital for like 2-3 days.

I remember my age was early 30's and I was at work. Something came into my head and it was a really strange feeling. For a few minutes it started getting worse and then all of a sudden I could see everything but I did not know what it was. My co-workers, as I saw them I no longer knew who they were, just could see them. Slowly I came back and after my memories were back I felt strange for some period of time that I do not remember. I actually started going to the doctor and neurologist learning I had seizures 18 years ago... back when life really started the change :roll:

When I was 13 I started having myoclonic seizures and was diagnosed with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy
then some bright spark put me on Keppra and I started having tonic-clonics around 16 and they thought about rethinking it but I think they decided against it

We're still sure it's all related to my hormones but there's not much backing that. It's just funny how timing works

I had my first seizure in 1967 at age 14 so I've had Epilepsy for over 46 years now. How time flies.

in 1986 I had a motorcycle accident that left me in a coma and seizing (never before that) After that it was only temporal lobe seizing off and on for 20 years. Just in the last few months it has been random Tonic Clonic siezing. I wonder if it is a result of following a docs advice to take keppra for Temporal lobe activity. ??

17 years I think. My parents disagree but I really think I'm right here even though I was young. I was 8 when I first started having seizures, but at first they were only at night and I didn't tell anyone about them (that's why I think I'm right). My parents found out when I was 9-10 and I was diagnosed.

I have probably been having partials seizures since July 2010 but was only DX'ed last week.

I had it since birth, and I was told that they were grand mals until i was 3 or 4 and when i was 7 I was taken off the meds because I outgrew it. but it came back when i was high school but i didn't know til i this yr when i was diagnosed with focal partial and sleep seizures. My mom told me she believes that if the dr didn't take me off I wouldn't have had they seizures in my sleep in high school, which makes me wonder if she knew and didn't help me when I needed her.

Last edited:
Hi mom of 5kids,

I doubt if your Mother knew you were having your seizures back again. Once your seizures went into remission she thought that part of your life was all over.

Your mother helped you when you were an infant. Epilepsy only goes into remission sometimes, only to haunt you later in life. That did not happen to me but it did happen to my sister. I have had epilepsy since I was 6 years old. I am 70 years old now. A total of 64 years of epilepsy.

Back
Top Bottom