How long?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
At the epilepsy meeting I go to someone said something about a friend saying she had a seizure for "8-10 minutes". She said "that's impossible, I would be dead". Is there a point where a seizure is automatically deadly? Besides the 5 minute rule.

Hi finalpoet,

A person can have status seizures that last for minutes to days. When I was put on Neurontin I started having absence status seizures where I was out of it for 30 min. to 2 hrs. this in turn caused more brain damage for me. Sometimes when a seizure lasts a long time a person is to go to the hospital and the Dr. will start and iv with med to bring the person out of the seizures. Status seizures can be very dangerous if the person can't come out of the seizure. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

When my mother went "STATUS" last year, she was already in the hospital and the seizure did last for 8 minutes. Then she had two more T/C seizures the next day that lasted 3-5 minutes. She was being tested because she had a complex partial the day before while with my brother. She's 85 years old and these came back. She had seizures when she was very young. The neurologist has put her on Keppra and now she is doing fine.

When I have a tonic clonic seizure and I don't start to come out of it after about 5 minutes they call 911. This has only happened a few times and I've been out of it before the ambulance gets there.

My very first seizure I went status and I was life flighted from the local hospital to the bigger one. I had to be put into a coma for over a week until they thought it was ok to bring me out of it. So the timing and how bad the seizure is are kept well tracked

When I have a complex partial and I don't start to come out of it in around 15 minutes I might be taken to the hospital. Usually I'm out of it when or shortly after I get there.

Back
Top Bottom