How many different epilepsy drugs have you tried?

How many different AEDs have you tried?

Votes: 33 8.8%

Votes: 54 14.4%

Votes: 52 13.9%

Votes: 46 12.3%

Votes: 38 10.1%

Votes: 24 6.4%

Votes: 28 7.5%

Votes: 23 6.1%

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • More than nine

Votes: 68 18.1%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

not taking that any further dont want to get into a debate about the stupidity of mps lol just feel sorry for that one thats been put in prison for scammin his claims cos he will become lower than the sex offenders lol

Not really. I ;ive in the beautiful land of Canada on the west coast. Abbotsford is my home town. Would be very interested in seenig your results. I have been an epileptic for almost 30 yrs now and I am on Keppra and Dilantin.

Good luck and I hope your trouble and strife will be looking after you well.

Started Dilantin and Phenobarb in early 1980's after first seizure and continued that for approx. 15 years. Doc deleted phenobarb at my request around 1996. Stayed on just Dilantin until 2006 when doc swapped me to Topomax. Had to add Lamictal about 9 months later. Tried to adjust to this combo for 2 years with no luck. This was a most horrid experience for me. I was basically a zombie. Finally requested Dilantin again in late 2007, husband asked for divorce the next day and that is where I am now..... Single and had my first grand mal in 6 years last week.

more bleedin tabs

i have just had my lamotragine upped another 25mg so lets just see how long this lasts before it all starts again god i hate this stuff why cant the uk work the same as the rest of the planet and let us use the XR lamotragene cos im sick of this rubbish fast reacting stuff

I think a new pull should be done for this...I'm curious how many meds people have been on that just stopped working vs how many they tried and didnt stay on because of side-effects. I'm not trying to be to harsh but its my experience, due to family members who take aeds for off label reasons, that people flip through these meds because of the side-effect experience more often than because the med doesn't work alone or with an adjunct.

Those are both good questions. But I think the answers are very different. I tried to work. My siezures just got in the way. nothing worked. Not even surgery. I have to stay very calm and colected. Side effects are a thing. They can be a good thing or a bad thing. But you still have to live your life. I can't work because it is to much stress. I love to be around people. But it does me in. So I volunteer at the school when I can. I did get off of Vimpat for a while because it makes me to tired. But I ended up back on it because it is the only thing that works. Just Keppra and a few other things that go with it to make it all work.But I'm 45 now and finally making part of it work.

I'm in a similar situation, I can't work because it is too much stress as well. I also know that I don't give up on a med easily either. I stayed on tegretol for almost 4 years despite some pretty awful side-effects...I figured the pay-off of only having seizures a couple of times a month was worth it. It got horrific before I gave up on the med finally.

Only three different drugs- Lamicta, Keppra, and Topomax. But tried different mixes, doses, and cocktails. After the Keppra and Lamictal mix didn't work they said I'd have to get surgery. I guess I had such nasty side effects with all of them that they didn't feel safe trying other drugs. :p

I was diagnosed in November 2010 at age 41. Had my first seizure on "black Friday" in the middle of Best buy. My neurologist placed me on Lamictal and i have been adjusted to that for the last 5 months. Wasnt allowed to drive for the first two months after diagnosis and that just about killed me. Im now having really bad headaches with the meds and the doctor said if they dont get better than i will have to change meds. Does this mean another two months or more of not driving?? Dont know if i can handle it.

#1 - tegretol - didn't work
#2 - Sodium Valproate - fat and depressed for many years
#3 - Lamictal - great until it stopped working
#4 - Keppra - a work in progress....... :\

Hmm, I've taken a lot. Many of which, unfortunately, I don't remember. Let's see what I can actually remember. Dilantin, Phenobarbitol, Tegritol, Zonegran, Topamax, Trileptal, Keppra, Depakote, Clonazapine. There were some others, but I can't recall the names. I'm now on Vimpat and Dilantin.

Hi,i suppose ive been quite lucky compared to others,1st started on Epanutin,felt like my head had a metal band round it.2nd Tegratol wasnt to bad still had a few seizures.3rd Eppillim total disaster spent more time on the floor,couldnt go to work,so now im on a combinaton of Tegratol and Eppillim which is,nt to bad but my personal favrouite(if theres such a thing)would be Tegratol.
Neil129

Trying to manage two neurological disorders at once, and the meds are getting a little complicated. My neuros are talking to each other, and I think they've agreed to change only one med and/or dosage at a time so we can see what is doing what to me.

1. Tried Keppra. Bad side effects
2. Tried Topamax. Became dangerously depressed.
3. Tried Lamictal. Rash.
4. Tried Trileptal. Very deeply depressed.
5. Went back to Lamictal. Ramped up more slowly & treated rash. Still on it, low dose. No more rash.
6. Diamox - for IIH (tho also used sometimes for seizures). Caused metabolic acidosis, was removed for a time, now back on it. Causes severe nerve pain.
7. Furosamide - for IIH. Caused metabolic acidosis, not on it any more.
8. Lamictal is supposed to help prevent headaches. It doesn't for me, at least not the IIH headaches. Still on it for seizures.
9. Potassium Citrate - to treat the metabolic acidosis caused by Diamox.
10. Gabapentin for seizures, and to treat the nerve pain caused by Diamox. This stuff makes me feel hypnotized.

Please. Someone stop the medication madness.

I hope this is going to the right place. Still trying to get the hang of using this.
I know ideal something like this existed. I am so happy to have found it. Now if I can just learn my way around.

Anyway, I was put on Mysoline back in 1971, that didn't work. I was then put on dilantin and phen.

THEN I got this Dr. who wanted to try Tegretol, then came lamictal, lodreane, carbamazepine. after all this mess I changed Dr. Who was to be the BEST in this field. This is when Keppra came in.

WELLL I left that Dr. went back to the one who presc. dilantin and phen.
He said he would not give phen. anymore but he put back on dilantin and clonazepam.

Now my Dr. is retiring and trying to find a good Dr. has me all stress out.

The dilantin and clonazepam has my seizures under control and I do not have the depression

I hope this helps someone out there.

It's good to find a home. Thanks

Don't know where else to post this, but i normally take lamotrigine which i haven't taken for a while because i've had good hopes about not having a seizure... well never mind that i woke up today just about 10minutes ago and it happened. I feel so bad, easily the worst ive had. Big gap in my tongue where one of my teeths rest, pretty deep too. I feel so lethargic its crazy and it hurts soooo much. Oh man, do not feel good at the moment. I do have a anaesthetic spray which i hope is effective but bloody hell, this is not going to be a good day. Bed all day i reckon. I can't even lift my own leg at the moment.

Hi everyone am new here my doctors looking at changing my meds

1 Dilantin didn't work the gums swell up
2 Epilim wasnt bad but didnt work and yeh put on weight and the hair loss and sleep alot
at the moment its Topamax and Lamictal

Think he wants to put me on Keppra

Hi
I think ? :brain: OWWW! As of yesterday I will now have taken or tried 17 diff. AED'S
I had said I have used 16 diff. meds and I was prescribed a low dose of Mysoline? on top of 3,000mgs of keppra a day to stop the szs. as the neuro put it .
He asked me about using phenobarbital before & I have a history of drug abuse and I simply told him the truth & that I have used that drug before to get high and nothing i have ever taken that sedated me has stopped a sz.
We discussed the differences and how this broke down in our body so I will at least try it .
Anyone that has taken this drug or is taking it I would be VERY interested to know of any side effects or something to look out for or expect. Thanks Rick

Back
Top Bottom