How many members have both Epilepsy and Sleep Apnea?

Do you have both epilepsy and sleep apnea?

• Yes, diagnosed with both

Votes: 39 41.9%
  • No, sleep study ruled out sleep apnea

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Maybe, never been tested for sleep apnea

Votes: 35 37.6%
  • Maybe, no official diagnosis yet

Votes: 6 6.5%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Both my parents' have Sleep Apnea. They have tried to get me to get tested for it, but I refuse.

The reason I feel this way is, I was born(1967) with a ventricular brain aneurysm, which in turn caused Hydrocephalus. The surgeries(six by 9yrs.-old, none since then) to clip the aneurysm, and to shunt me, caused Epilepsy. Also, As a result of the Hydrocephalus, I have a condition called Bruxism(grinding teeth) for which I have to use a special toothpaste at night, after brushing my teeth with regular toothpaste.

So, The emotional trauma from the surgeries, does not make me want to have a mask on my face while I sleep.:rolleyes:

I have Epilepsy, but not Sleep Apnea. Because I am an insomniac. My parents' tried to convince me to get tested but I refused. Both my parents' have it. But my step-mother does not. My dad needs to wear a mask every night, but my mother's case is mild.

To me it seems like Sleep Apnea has become the 'in' diagnosis. As if, if you don't have Sleep Apnea, you somehow are less of a person.

Sleep Apnea

I have sleep apnea. I've been having "episodes" lately and I have to be diagnosed by a neurologist and have my sleep study re-done. I haven't used the cpap machine in years! This morning, I thought I was going to have a nocturnal episode and noticed that I was making an odd sound right at the point to crossing over to a dream, or starting to vibrate with electrical type feelings. I heard myself sounding like a dog yawning or trying to breath in...I went in and out of this episode several times in a row and each time when I got to the point of that crossover of sleep stage, I heard the noise I was making. Makes me wonder too, if oxygen deprivation has anything to do with my episodes and great fatigue.

Any time we lose oxygen, it is not good for our system. I hope you get better.

I had sleep apnea--in my case, it was mostly due to food allergies I was unaware of swelling my tongue and sinuses. I discovered what I was allergic to an quit eating them or even eating foods that may have been in contact with them, and the swelling is gone. I also do apnea exercises I found on a youtube video from some doctor in Hawaii every night before I go to bed. I still get it occasionally when a bad food slips through when I eat out (sulfites are one of the three and it's HARD to avoid those, as is pork and fish/seafood, and those are on every grill), but for the most part my apnea is now gone without a CPAP. For the first time in years I sleep almost every night without constant awakenings and numb arms and face.

exercise with joy, then.
we should all exercise our tongues and throat muscles.

btw, kissing is good exercise, too. so all those married people...

Back
Top Bottom