How many members have both Epilepsy and Sleep Apnea?

Do you have both epilepsy and sleep apnea?

• Yes, diagnosed with both

Votes: 39 41.9%
  • No, sleep study ruled out sleep apnea

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Maybe, never been tested for sleep apnea

Votes: 35 37.6%
  • Maybe, no official diagnosis yet

Votes: 6 6.5%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

You are welcome.

It is hereditary in my family. My father, sister and 2 of my sons have epilepsy. It goes back hundreds of years in my family. I know for certain!! My aunt had a person from my father's side of the family come to visit us and give us the history of our family.

You have a good life. I was 6 when I was first diagnosed. I am better off knowing that I have epilepsy.

You will be happier knowing if you have it or not. Psychiatrists spealize in one thing. They have no idea what else you might have. Say you have epilepsy, he has lost a client.

Walk around all night. Whatever you do, do not lie down or sit down. Then you will fall asleep. Keep your thoughts on other things. Talk about and imagine you are in a place where you would like to be. Talk out loud!!

We will wait to see how the test comes out.

Thank you

Thank you Ruth.

I know I sound dramatic, but this is new to me. The only idea I have of epilepsy are severe cases I know, and again my dead uncle.

He spent his entire life in a psychiatric hospital cause he also had other menthal health issues that made him unmanagable for his family so he was put in there since he was like 18. He died there.

I guess I´m also scared cause I´ve been reading these posts on another forum here where people have been real nice too and their symptoms sound very much like some of mine.

These are, sleepiness during the day, exhaustion with feeling of being absent or almost out of the body, weakness, and even numbness in half of the body. But i´ve never had an acutal fit or seizure.

I had all these but with shortness of breath last year for supposed GERD induced asthma. I don´t think epilepsy causes shortness of breath, does it?

But I guess putting my uncle aside you can live a normal life with epilepsy and treatment right? I already called a friend and he said he´d be with me the night before the test to help me stay up all night. He didn´t even ask what the test was about.

I can´t talk about this with my family right now unless the test turns out positive. I´ve taken so many tests that have been negative, they think the same way my psychiatrists think...

My God, am I only complaining? Sorry, but it´s really scary to me to think that my anxiety and disrupted sleep could be due to epilepsy. My respect to you dealing with these disease for long.

John.

I already called a friend and he said he´d be with me the night before the test to help me stay up all night. He didn´t even ask what the test was about.

Hi John, I am glad to hear that you have such a great friend. I can see why you have good friends. You are very likeable.

Ruth

I was diagnosed with epil at 9 months and Sleep apena 4 yrs ago. Due to our wonderful insurance, since I fell on my sleep apena machine and broke it. Insurance won't conver it and I don't have the $325 to fix the machine. So I'll just wait one more year and get a new one. My seizures are sleep time seizures and I feel are directly related to my sleep apena. When I wore the mask, seizure decreased. In the last several months, my seizures have increased. Even me ending up in the ER, which is unusual for me. As my wife is a retired paramedic and doesn't get scared of much. LOL
Don't get me on a soap box, cause you would just delete the message. It would get to long. LOL

So on a lighter note, Anyone catch the GATOR game last Saturday?

I was diagnosed with epil at 9 months and Sleep apena 4 yrs ago. Due to our wonderful insurance, since I fell on my sleep apena machine and broke it. Insurance won't conver it and I don't have the $325 to fix the machine. So I'll just wait one more year and get a new one. My seizures are sleep time seizures and I feel are directly related to my sleep apena. When I wore the mask, seizure decreased. In the last several months, my seizures have increased. Even me ending up in the ER, which is unusual for me. As my wife is a retired paramedic and doesn't get scared of much. LOL
Don't get me on a soap box, cause you would just delete the message. It would get to long. LOL

So on a lighter note, Anyone catch the GATOR game last Saturday?

Can you put it on a credit card? Good luck.

I went and got a second sleep study done-this time with the CPAP machine. It helped my sleep so much. I just got my own CPAP machine tonight. I really think the sleep apnea and the increased amount of caffeine I drank is the reason my seizures got worse over the last 3-5 years. I feel like this will take care of it.

I live on caffeine from Tuesday Night to Saturday Afternoon. I work 12 hr shift from 9pm to 9am Wed night to Sat Morning. then work at a Flea Market until the afternoon.

As for putting the CPAP on a credit card... I would need one first. Sorta messed up my credit with my student loans. LOL

My respect

My respecte to all people here who have these conditions who agravate sleep and still work like normal regular strong people. I have been out of a job forever, feel too tired and sleepy all the time...

I used to as a result of one of the meds I was taking. luckily i dont any more

I live on caffeine from Tuesday Night to Saturday Afternoon. I work 12 hr shift from 9pm to 9am Wed night to Sat Morning. then work at a Flea Market until the afternoon.

As for putting the CPAP on a credit card... I would need one first. Sorta messed up my credit with my student loans. LOL

Good news from the insurance company. they MIGHT cover a new one and I killed the motherboard of the old c-pap during the seizure.

My brother Brad has myoclonic seizures and had surgery for sleep apnea. Not severe. My ex-husband has a severe apnea. Can not take any meds because the Dr.s don't want him to fall asleep in fear of not waking up. He also has myoclonic sezures and depression. My son is 11 and he is snoring and has myoclonic sez. and a deviated septum.

stilldancing_98

stilldancing_98:

Wow!!!

That common are mioclonic seizures with sleep apnea? I keep on jumping/jerking all night long, but no doctor seems to know why.

My EEG with sleep deprivation tested negative, but my sleep doctor wants me to still take an MRI of my brain and take this and the EEG to a neurologist.

Plus I read here that you can have epilepsy or sleep epilepsy and still test negative at the EEG.

So who knows...

I´m taking video recordings of my sleep jerks to my sleep doctor to see what he thinks.

John.

I voted yes to both, but I've never been diagnosed WITH "E". I can't remember now, but my doctor said you needed to have X amount of seizures with in a certain time frame. I never fit the criteria.

Have you had a Video EEG? That is more accurate.

How many seizures does your doctor say that you need? Usually one or two is enough for a diagnosis. Ask your doctor to be referred to a neurologist to test you?

For the first time, a few nights ago, I had a seizure in my sleep. I am going to be asked to be tested for sleep apnea.

It was my neuro who told me I had to have (I THINK) 2 in a month or 2 in a... man I wish I could remember, but since I tend to have 1 every 4 years (a few times it's been more), she said I never fit the criteria.

I believe I've had at least one in my sleep (woke up hurting like mad and had bitten my tongue really good) but since no one saw it, I can't confirm it. This was a couple-three years ago. AS far as I know, I've been seizure free for the past, almost 4 years.

I've had 21 days of testing, trying to trigger a seizure back in 2000-2001. they hooked my head up, and tried triggering one, but nothing happened. The main doctor said I was having anxiety attacks.... I had to call my neuro and have her talk to him, to tell him, no I was not.

stilldancing_98:

Wow!!!

That common are mioclonic seizures with sleep apnea? I keep on jumping/jerking all night long, but no doctor seems to know why.

Plus I read here that you can have epilepsy or sleep epilepsy and still test negative at the EEG.

I´m taking video recordings of my sleep jerks to my sleep doctor to see what he thinks.

John.

That is correct John. You only test positive for epilepsy if you have a seizure during the EEG.

I have had epilepsy since I was 6 years old. My EEG came out positive. A few years back, 66 years old. I was in the hospital and there they had a neurologist who only worked in the hospital.

She had a 15 minute EEG done on me. It was noisy in the room (visiting hours.) The technician decided not to do the strobe lights because it was all ready light in the room.

Of course, it came out negative. After having epilepsy for 63 years, and being hospitalized countless times for seizures she had the nerve to tell me that I had never had epilepsy.

She wanted me to come to her office so she could take me off all of my meds. I said no!!

It is true that an EEG can have negative results even if someone does have epilepsy.

However, I've had EEGs where I haven't had any seizures during the test but the doctors were able to see strange misfiring on my EEG that implied I had epilepsy.

Back
Top Bottom